New Project for Dinoland? | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

New Project for Dinoland?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could somebody explain to me why Primeval Whirl had so many injuries and deaths? It feels like a very standard off-the-shelf ride that many parks operate successfully

Here is info on the 2 deaths that happened at Primeval Whirl. (From Wiki)

On November 27, 2007, a 63-year-old employee died from a brain injury sustained four days earlier when she was hit by a ride vehicle after falling from a restricted area of the ride platform.[55] On May 23, 2008, OSHA fined Walt Disney World US$25,500 and charged the company with five safety violations. The fines were: $15,000 for three serious violations; $7,500 for still missing a handrail that had been reported; and $3,000 for not responding to OSHA requests within the requested time period.

On March 13, 2011, a 52-year-old employee sustained head injuries while working on the ride and was airlifted to a local hospital, where he later died. The ride was undergoing maintenance and was closed to the public at the time of the incident.

Reactions: Coolbfitz and Nick
Here is info on the 2 deaths that happened at Primeval Whirl. (From Wiki)

On November 27, 2007, a 63-year-old employee died from a brain injury sustained four days earlier when she was hit by a ride vehicle after falling from a restricted area of the ride platform.[55] On May 23, 2008, OSHA fined Walt Disney World US$25,500 and charged the company with five safety violations. The fines were: $15,000 for three serious violations; $7,500 for still missing a handrail that had been reported; and $3,000 for not responding to OSHA requests within the requested time period.

On March 13, 2011, a 52-year-old employee sustained head injuries while working on the ride and was airlifted to a local hospital, where he later died. The ride was undergoing maintenance and was closed to the public at the time of the incident.

Not that I will miss the ride but that doesn't sound like the ride's fault but either WDW or human error. Very different from a scenario where the ride malfunctioned and injured/killed someone. I know that it has been discussed ad nauseam but, aside from "Dinosaur", the whole area needs to go. This is the spark to use the imagination and to create something better. A nice dark ride (PotC style ride with a nice flume and small yet fun drop) and set the theme more appropriately and that whole area will look better. I was going to suggest the dig site coaster but that seems like replicating the Jurassic Park coaster being built.

What ip could Disney trow against a re-imagined Dino-land. Their dino movie where the dark-ride is based on (very loosely) tank at the box office and rightly so. So what else does Disney have to sell merch and cross promote?
Maybe scrap the dino thing all together and put Indy in there. The dark-ride makeover isn't tough and the park needs a family coaster so the Temple of Doom mine train would fit and you could add in exhibitions of snakes, bugs and spiders to loosely force it in AK.

Indiana Jones was the last thing I remember being rumored for this area. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Ice Age sneaks into the conversation. Maybe there are new rumors, but I just don't really feel like checking Magic when I know i'm gonna have to sort through so much crap.

What ip could Disney trow against a re-imagined Dino-land. Their dino movie where the dark-ride is based on (very loosely) tank at the box office and rightly so. So what else does Disney have to sell merch and cross promote?
Maybe scrap the dino thing all together and put Indy in there. The dark-ride makeover isn't tough and the park needs a family coaster so the Temple of Doom mine train would fit and you could add in exhibitions of snakes, bugs and spiders to loosely force it in AK.

I mean you're not wrong. They are hyper focused on only creating a ride if it's tied to a popular IP. But they already have a land (Pandora) that isn't focused on animals. Yes, I know it has a pro-environment theme, but it's still just a bunch of fake plants and fake animals. Dinosaurs were real, and kids love dinosaurs. I'd really prefer they not stray away from that.

Whatever they decide to do with this area, I doubt it will be anything grand. It's not a large footprint. There isn't much land behind it, and it's currently being used as a dry dock I believe. I hope they remove the coaster sooner rather than later, so it's not just awkwardly sitting there. Although a decaying coaster would fit right in with the garbage theme of that land. :lol:

Dinoland USA rocks, minus Chester and Hester. Removing dinosaurs is idiotic and a total chump move.

ALSO Countdown to Extinction was not created to be an IP tie in to a movie released two years after the ride opened.
I could see them maybe moving in making it an "Extinct animals sections". So Dinosaur could still be there and the Dinoland USA stuff would fit, but add other showcases of extinct animals with another ride. At this point, that's probably where WDI throws the IP at the ride and makes it Ice Age.

I would hate to see something like Ice Age in the parks, but at the same time, I think expanding on the "extinct" concept could be cool and also educational. There could be an entire walking trail showcasing now extinct animals.

Reactions: Grits0808
Dinoland USA rocks, minus Chester and Hester. Removing dinosaurs is idiotic and a total chump move.

ALSO Countdown to Extinction was not created to be an IP tie in to a movie released two years after the ride opened.
At best, they shared assets for character development. Even their CG footage of Aladar in the preshow was only test footage from the animators that's how early in the film's production they were developing Countdown to Extinction.

EDIT: Also, the plot of the ride IS closer to the original plot of the movie Dinosaur, before they rewrote it. I believe that film was originally going to feature THE asteroid hitting the earth, but they bumped up the timeline and made it just a regular old meteor shower and not the death asteroid cause it was too sad to see all the characters die right after they finally defeated the bad guy carnotaurus.

Re: the accidents... FWIW, what I had heard was that the root cause is that Disney did more preventative maintenance work than most Wild Mouse installations, but the construction of the ride puts workers into more precarious positions to do those PMs than say, Everest (something that you can walk track easier). So in trying to be safer, they were actually making it less safe.

Not sure if it's 100% true but it seems to make sense... if a train comes on Everest you can stand out of the way - if a train comes on Primeval Whirl you're either clipped in or have to jump into the tangled mess of metal.

Change the land theme.
7CYktU3.gif

Dinosaurs deserve a place in Animal Kingdom.

And frankly, Orlando parks as a whole need more dinosaurs, not fewer! We already lost a bunch when Universe of Energy closed!

Other than probably some people on this forum, I can't imagine that the concrete wasteland known as Chester & Hester's Dinorama would be missed. With Primeval Whirl gone, the whole area is ripe for replacement.. maybe the spinner could go somewhere else in Dinoland?

Status
Not open for further replies.