New Project for Dinoland? | Page 51 | Inside Universal Forums

New Project for Dinoland?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why it’ll take till 2027. This is more of a land, the ride itself is a much more lengthy overlay if not new experience itself. Will add capacity because the area has never been super busy anytime I go. Dinosaur is a good ride, but I think the reason why it still has long lines here and there is cause there’s literally a handful of rides at the park… it’s not like people are going to skip it unless they have young kids. Now, young kids need to go to this area of the park.

I still think DHS needs this land the most but I’ve accepted the loss at this point.
If it is indeed the SHDL ride system then that's different. But if not, I expect them to move *fairly* quick on this by Disney standards. The park only has 7 rides and taking out Dinosaur for an extended period of time will bring the ride count down to 6. That's not healthy capacity for a Disney park and it's an embarrassing amount of ride offerings, especially when one is a spinner.

Reactions: tankart150
If it is indeed the SHDL ride system then that's different. But if not, I expect them to move *fairly* quick on this by Disney standards. The park only has 7 rides and taking out Dinosaur for an extended period of time will bring the ride count down to 6. That's not healthy capacity for a Disney park and it's an embarrassing amount of ride offerings, especially when one is a spinner.
I don’t disagree with your points, I just think it’s gonna be the SHDL version. So, it’ll take time. If anything 3-4 years for a potential new land and ride is fast for Disney!

I was about to say, 2027 is Disney moving fast these days lol
Well to me it's all in the scope of the project. As I said, Frozen and Tiana are probably going to have taken around 21 months as a ride overlay. If that's all Dinosaur to Zootopia is, it's possible to get it done relatively quickly for Disney standards. It's all how much of a "land" the Zootopia area is actually going to be I guess.

If it's actually changing out the ride system for a trackless system and a hyper themed mini land, then this will take a long time.

When the park opened there was a god-awful Jungle Book show that later got replaced with Tarzan.
I'd like to see those 2 ip's back in the park.
Not sure what to do with Jungle Book, probably a splash mountain like ride with a ton of the great music from the movie and Tarzan could be a stand up coaster emulating Tarzan skating over the tree branches.

Heck, why not just do the Dino area in a more interesting way instead of the southern distressed roadside exhibit travesty the Imagineers did originally. Dino's are an inherently kid/family fun topic. Do it right and the people will come. The roadside mess was just a concept that wasn't thought out very well, and lacked common sense, from Day 1. Comparison: Kind of the Disney Imagineers out of touch like the Universal Creatives & Film Executives were with Fast & Furious ride.
The challenge is that there's basically three ways to "do" dinosaurs in a theme park:
1) here are dinosaur skeletons/statues
2) we're sending you back in time to see dinosaurs
3) we've brought dinosaurs back to life

3 is for all intents and purposes out for Dinoland because that's Jurassic Park. The majority of the pre-Chester and Hester's Dinoland covers 1 (Dig Site and the walking path, not sure if that's still there) and 2 (the ride). And for as contrived as it is, a lot of people within WDI will argue that Chester and Hester's is well-done for what the design intent was.

Personally, while there's the obvious thematic issue with the overall purpose of the park, the upside I see in Zootopia is that they'd be building a land that is an established place as opposed to what they did with Batuu - building a Star Wars land that had no connection to any place seen in a movie. A Zootopia land benefits from it being "that place where animals live and work like people." I don't have Disney+ to see if Cars is in the top 10-15, but that's another one where Radiator Springs is a place that can be built and just speaks for itself as a land.

I'd argue this is part of the problem with modern Disney's thinking, though: any intensity (I'm talking tonal, not physical) is seen as something that needs to be mitigated or outright removed. I think that's a mistake, and I think it underestimates both the capacity for kids to handle such things and the degree to which some kids (many kids, even) actually like encountering things that are a little scary, especially in a "safe" environment like a theme park.
The issue is less the kids being scarred for life and more parents filling out surveys about the ride after their kid loses their mind over a 20 foot tall, angry dinosaur making loud noises. Same way the Alien scene played a big role in the Great Movie Ride going away.

The challenge is that there's basically three ways to "do" dinosaurs in a theme park:

3 is for all intents and purposes out for Dinoland because that's Jurassic Park. The majority of the pre-Chester and Hester's Dinoland covers 1 (Dig Site and the walking path, not sure if that's still there) and 2 (the ride). And for as contrived as it is, a lot of people within WDI will argue that Chester and Hester's is well-done for what the design intent was.

Personally, while there's the obvious thematic issue with the overall purpose of the park, the upside I see in Zootopia is that they'd be building a land that is an established place as opposed to what they did with Batuu - building a Star Wars land that had no connection to any place seen in a movie. A Zootopia land benefits from it being "that place where animals live and work like people." I don't have Disney+ to see if Cars is in the top 10-15, but that's another one where Radiator Springs is a place that can be built and just speaks for itself as a land.

The issue is less the kids being scarred for life and more parents filling out surveys about the ride after their kid loses their mind over a 20 foot tall, angry dinosaur making loud noises. Same way the Alien scene played a big role in the Great Movie Ride going away.
As of right now, Zootopia #10, Cars #11 on D+.

Yes, I recall reading in the past that the Imagineers were proud of Chester & Hester. But that kind of reinforces my thoughts that they are often out of touch with real people and often lack common sense. And, you make a good point with Zootopia. It could work better than what's there now. I always liked the Indiana Jones idea, and that could probably work well with the Dino building, but it seems that idea is off the table. Bottom line is that it's a real shame that area has been wasted for so long, especially in a park that's so short on repeatability type attractions. As I've said before, AK is fine for the first couple visits, there's plenty to see and do beside rides. But, unfortunately the park gets old quick, since the repeatability really lacks.

You raise an interesting point here. Is Dinosaur really any less scary than Indiana Jones? Nope. And Indiana Jones had been neglected for so long that the experience was awful up until three months ago, but Disney certainly wouldn't dare remove that ride. I'd even argue the Dinosaur ride experience was equivalent, anyways. Furthermore, Universal is building dinosaur theme attractions to great acclaim, so it's hardly an issue of stale property.

The problem is that there simply aren't enough rides. Kids don't have to see Indiana Jones at Disneyland because there's lots of alternatives, but not so much at Animal Kingdom. I suppose you also run into issues of Disney's "family park" image while Universal is not under the same constraints, but Magic Kingdom has Haunted Mansion and the Snow White ride, so I would simply say it's a ride quantity problem. Point is that Animal Kingdom really should keep Dinosaur, refurbish it, and add more kid-friendly offerings. (They won't.)

Not sure what to do with Jungle Book, probably a splash mountain like ride with a ton of the great music from the movie
There will never be another splash mountain like ride. It’s 12 mins long.

At best, you’ll get something 1/3 the length; but most likely it’ll be 1/4 the length. 3-4 mins will be your best case scenario. So id just get that out of your mind and hope for something like Shanghai pirates when it comes to a boat ride.

Because it’s either that or Navi river. There really is no in between anymore.

The thought of double digit ride times is decades old now.

Reactions: SeventyOne
There will never be another splash mountain like ride. It’s 12 mins long.

At best, you’ll get something 1/3 the length; but most likely it’ll be 1/4 the length. 3-4 mins will be your best case scenario. So id just get that out of your mind and hope for something like Shanghai pirates when it comes to a boat ride.

Because it’s either that or Navi river. There really is no in between anymore.

The thought of double digit ride times is decades old now.
My dream is Di$ney will become better but I guess you are right. Still hope for these ip's.

Just acquire the rights to Tolkien and build Mirkwood, then.

Universal has it

Zootopia at Shanghai is gonna be really cool. It would be awesome if it came to the states

Only if Disney had two other parks would fit in.

Dinosaurs is such a huge swath of concept that Disney can do whatever they want without getting into JP territory. Both resorts have New York, Hollywood, English, and futuristic settings and no one blinks an eye at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GA-MBIT and Jones14
Yeah, all that's great and everything, but this is Disney's response to Epic Universe?

An ill fitted overlay to a single existing attraction?
I think it is lol. I don’t think they want major additions in Florida right now and believe, if anything, Epic could increase attendance in some aspects. Yup.

No inside info here, I just still don’t doubt a 5th Orlando Park for Disney, so I sometimes wonder if any big grandiose ideas that Imagineering draw up are simply being saved. Purely speculation but it just feels like we are building up to that.

I once stood behind a car getting into the parking lot at Disney Studios at WDW and I heard them ask "Is this Universal Studios?" So I guess it's possible :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Here’s how I see it - these people probably are very good at what they do and aren’t experts like us. Ask me to do my taxes and I’m lost! So at the end you can only mitigate mistakes so much the test needs to be treated with humanity and respect.

I once stood behind a car getting into the parking lot at Disney Studios at WDW and I heard them ask "Is this Universal Studios?" So I guess it's possible :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Here’s how I see it - these people probably are very good at what they do and aren’t experts like us. Ask me to do my taxes and I’m lost! So at the end you can only mitigate mistakes so much the test needs to be treated with humanity and respect.
I think it’s pretty obvious what @Cup_Of_Coffee meant was that more tourists in Orlando = more visitors at every business. If a family comes down specifically to see Epic, they’re also likely to say, “hey may as well check out Disney while I’m all the way down here” even though they know full well the difference between the two resorts. Works for Universal when Disney adds something new, too.

While attendance will generally increase in Orlando overall for Epic, there is the expectation that families will cut a park or two. Whether that’s at WDW, SeaWorld or a Universal park who knows.

Good chance a family decides to spend 2 days at Universal with park hoppers and 2 days at WDW with them cutting one of the non-MK parks.

Genie has made it a bit easier to consolidate park visits versus the 1-day per park era.

I think it’s pretty obvious what @Cup_Of_Coffee meant was that more tourists in Orlando = more visitors at every business. If a family comes down specifically to see Epic, they’re also likely to say, “hey may as well check out Disney while I’m all the way down here” even though they know full well the difference between the two resorts. Works for Universal when Disney adds something new, too.
While that works with most things economic, the problem is days at Orlando theme parks is the rare zero sum game. Outside the small group of locals with APs everywhere, guests are likely to only do 1 park per day, and certainly only Disney or Universal in a day. If the average family does 4 park days on a trip, that's 4 visits to be divided up amongst now 7 parks.

A rising tide probably lifts MK as well as EU, maybe even DHS as the demo most comparable to Nintendo Land, but I think DAK will be the odd park out. (Tho I think USF and IoA will take a hit as well, but that's another thread.) Throwing in two of the big 'babysitter" IPs from Disney+ probably seen as a way to shore up families with younger kids at least.

Hey Bluey is a dog ... dogs are animals, right? Get Josh on the phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.