Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Project for Dinoland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, AK needs more rides, period. After a couple trips to the park, those walk through zoos and terrific Safari, though interesting and beautiful, get old. On WDW vacations I've gotten to the point of
only 5 or 6 hours at AK, or just skipping the park completely. It's a really fun park for the first visit ever, but it becomes redundant more quickly than any of the other Disney or Universal Orlando parks.

Yes, AK needs more rides, period. After a couple trips to the park, those walk through zoos and terrific Safari, though interesting and beautiful, get old. On WDW vacations I've gotten to the point of
only 5 or 6 hours at AK, or just skipping the park completely. It's a really fun park for the first visit ever, but it becomes redundant more quickly than any of the other Disney or Universal Orlando parks.

We tend to skip AK completely. I enjoy Dinosaur and Everest quite a bit. I would ride Flight of Passage if the line wasn't so awful. So, we tend to skip to focus on the other parks. One thing that stands out to me in all of these conversations is that DHS and AK need rides (multiple) to be added in each park. Adding a ride to replace Dinoland is a start but reskinning Dinosaur doesn't change capacity constraints.

How many rides does a new Disney land usually contain ?

I’m thinking at least two per area but that’s just based on the last two major expansions with GE and Pandora.

I never understood why they aren’t leveraging Hercules for a “legendary beasts” land in AK.

Timeless story. Lots of ride and show potential. I don’t get it.
Timeless is arguable. Disney's Hercules is sickeningly 90s.

If any Disney property should get used for expansion, Lion King and Finding Nemo feel like obvious winners. More Lion King is never too much with that being two of the most profitable films of all-time, and Australia with a Sea Life area would be a reasonable trade for Dinosaurs given proximity to Nemo The Musical, if a little redundant given The Living Seas at Epcot.

Timeless is arguable. Disney's Hercules is sickeningly 90s.
The music and movie are dated. The story is millennia old.

EDIT - You can do an “Ancient Greece” land that features a musical stunt-show retelling of the movie (that cuts some of the hokeyness). Then do a ride-through “zoo,” hosted by a new character, that features numerous mythological creatures.

There’s a ton of food/merch potential that Disney hasn’t even really touched before.

Last edited:
Sounds similar to the original mythical Beasts land planned for AK that never made the light of day. When some of those Imagineers moved to Universal they used those concepts for Lost Continent at IOA....or
goes the rumored story.

Hercules is one of those movies where I think it could actually make a better Live Action Disney movie whenever they get to it. I wouldn't even need it to be a musical. Much like the live action Mulan, I think an Action-Adventure Hercules sans music could be great.

....see all those Hercules and Sons of Hercules movies from the 50's and 60's....most made in Italy. There were a ton of them. Probably not one good one though....Maybe Disney could
do it better, though.

if this was coming in 2025 wouldn't they have just said that ?
They aren't going to say it after everything they've announced at D23 that's ended up not happening or dramatically fallen behind schedule.

The rumor is that it's close to getting a green light and that Disney would like it for 2025. That doesn't mean it would happen for 2025. It will probably slip into 2026 or something because Disney is terrible when it comes to constructing rides at a reasonable pace, so it's better off they just left this without a date and without even officially confirming it. It's a very tiny step closer to doing things Universal's way, except they still showed concept art super early so it kinda defeated the whole purpose.

Also, they still don't know exactly what the project will wind up being yet, as it's budget dependent. Supposedly Moana would be Phase 1 and pretty much almost definitely happen. Zootopia is a Phase 2 currently and if they don't get the proper budget, it's possible Dinosaur and Restaurantosaurous could stay. So if you're like me and don't want Zootopia in DAK, we need to be rooting against that Phase 2 from happening.

They aren't going to say it after everything they've announced at D23 that's ended up not happening or dramatically fallen behind schedule.

The rumor is that it's close to getting a green light and that Disney would like it for 2025. That doesn't mean it would happen for 2025. It will probably slip into 2026 or something because Disney is terrible when it comes to constructing rides at a reasonable pace, so it's better off they just left this without a date and without even officially confirming it. It's a very tiny step closer to doing things Universal's way, except they still showed concept art super early so it kinda defeated the whole purpose.

Also, they still don't know exactly what the project will wind up being yet, as it's budget dependent. Supposedly Moana would be Phase 1 and pretty much almost definitely happen. Zootopia is a Phase 2 currently and if they don't get the proper budget, it's possible Dinosaur and Restaurantosaurous could stay. So if you're like me and don't want Zootopia in DAK, we need to be rooting against that Phase 2 from happening.
So the good half of Dinoland would potentially stay

Interested.

I still don't understand Moana as the choice though

So the good half of Dinoland would potentially stay

Interested.

I still don't understand Moana as the choice though
Moana would be used as an IP to represent an Oceana land. It's not the best IP for DAK but it's also far from the worst imo. Her relationship with nature and water works imo, especially if they are going in an Oceana direction.

Moana would be used as an IP to represent an Oceana land. It's not the best IP for DAK but it's also far from the worst imo. Her relationship with nature and water works imo, especially if they are going in an Oceana direction.
I would have loved for her to be the host character of a Polynesian pavilion at Epcot...although not just one "country"...mostly for selfish food-related reasons lol

Yet, I agree, Moana is definitely not the *worst* IP they could have chosen for AK...and out of all the weird anti-announcements I hope this one happens most

While Moana isn't the best choice for DAK, it's not the worst choice for the new vision of DAK which is IPs or the environments they occupy.

I'm also surprised there's no major Nat Geo presence in the park yet.
If they're going to use the Nat Geo name, I see it being something smaller, such as changing one of the names of the walkthrough exhibits ("Jane Goodall's Gorilla Falls" or "The Incredible Dr. Pol's Planet Watch").

The bigger thing they got from Fox that would work (rather well in DAK) would be Ice Age right next to Dinosaur. That would work a lot better than Moana imo and would allow them to simply rename the land something like "Extinction Island". I know Ice Age isn't the newest property, but if they must put an IP in there, it's honestly probably one of the most appropriate ones to pull from the bag.

If they're going to use the Nat Geo name, I see it being something smaller, such as changing one of the names of the walkthrough exhibits ("Jane Goodall's Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail" or "The Incredible Dr. Pol's Planet Watch").

The bigger thing they got from Fox that would work (rather well in DAK) would be Ice Age right next to Dinosaur. That would work a lot better than Moana imo and would allow them to simply rename the land something like "Extinction Island". I known Ice Age isn't the newest property, but if they must put an IP in there, it's honestly probably one of the most appropriate ones to pull from the bag.

Yeah, was thinking along the same as you - Kilimanjaro Safaris presented by National Geographic, etc.

Ice Age would have been the perfect excuse for "Land of Extinction" Could have easily added a random assortment of flat rides or an indoor land.

I’m not upset about characters/rides not fitting theme-I mourned this issue and I’ve gotten to the acceptance stage. I am torn about Zootopia because I love it so much I feel that it deserves its own brand new ride-not a reskin. And like Nick keeps saying WDW parks need more rides, not replacements.

But I could see that rotunda area in Dinosaur easily being converted to the entrance to Zootopia PD with Clawhouser’s desk set up, and the cars converted to Judy’s police vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.