Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Theater at Magic Kingdom

As much as i'd love to see Mystic Manor in Florida, we're going to have three other trackless rides debuting all within the span of a year and in the same park as Haunted Mansion, i'm not sure how well it would mesh.

To rebuddle, I would contest that Mystic is one of the best attractions in the world. Even if it's a clone, it would still be leagues above most of what the Magic Kingdom has.

The guessing game is quite fun...... But I wish the theater was still in the plans.Nice to have a change of pace in the touring day.
WDW really needs a big theater like that, but there are plenty of other places one could go if we are in fact getting reallocated funds for another E-ticket caliber ride to balance out the waits from TRON.

I think it also needs to be taken into account (and i've said this since it was announced) how much building the theatre in that spot would affect daily operations. So much goes on back there that guests don't see and moving it all would be very difficult.

So if we lose the theatre for a ride like we're talking about, I won't be upset. If it happens that we get nothing though... well then that is truly unfortunate.

To rebuddle, I would contest that Mystic is one of the best attractions in the world. Even if it's a clone, it would still be leagues above most of what the Magic Kingdom has.
Oh definitely.

And, unlike Phantom Manor at TDL, it's really not like HM at all aside from the fact that it was inspired by it and it's a ride around a mansion. The theme and feel of the ride is totally different.

WDW really needs a big theater like that, but there are plenty of other places one could go if we are in fact getting reallocated funds for another E-ticket caliber ride to balance out the waits from TRON.

I think it also needs to be taken into account (and i've said this since it was announced) how much building the theatre in that spot would affect daily operations. So much goes on back there that guests don't see and moving it all would be very difficult.

So if we lose the theatre for a ride like we're talking about, I won't be upset. If it happens that we get nothing though... well then that is truly unfortunate.

Not to mention, allocating funds to a new ride could sell tickets and vacations. A new theater probably wouldn't. It might help more with overcrowding, but most people planning visits just for the theater would be passholders.

Not to mention, allocating funds to a new ride could sell tickets and vacations. A new theater probably wouldn't. It might help more with overcrowding, but most people planning visits just for the theater would be passholders.
The theatre would help with crowds, but only so much. It was to be a 2,000 seat theatre that would probably do about 6 showings per day or so. That's only 12,000 daily capacity. Something like Mystic Manor has a HOURLY capacity of over 2,000, meaning it would see a much higher throughput than the theatre would.

That said, this isn't a the funds to build something like Mystic Manor (or another ride) will still FAR surpass what the theatre was to cost. The budget for the theatre was $25M. So while a reallocation, it would only account for about 15% of the overall budget.

The more I think about this, the more I go back to the beancounter concept of cutting this to divert funds to projects going over budget. The cost of a theater that would probably have housed productions similar to Aladdin/Frozen at Disney is just not in the building, but the very significant daily operational costs associated with a large Equity actor staff and resultant theatrical support staff. And we all know how WDW has been cutting Equity positions and staff positions the last six/seven years.

The more I think about this, the more I go back to the beancounter concept of cutting this to divert funds to projects going over budget. The cost of a theater that would probably have housed productions similar to Aladdin/Frozen at Disney is just not in the building, but the very significant daily operational costs associated with a large Equity actor staff and resultant theatrical support staff. And we all know how WDW has been cutting Equity positions and staff positions the last six/seven years.
Those trailers for Frozen 312 aren't going to show themselves

Well, this project info, if true, kind of puts the lie to that old theme park fan's premise, "That we don't believe it until the shovels come out". Another theory that dies hard, as the shoveled dirt flies through the air and lands with a resounding thud.....Rest in peace, dear MK almost Theater, as the bugles play Taps....goodbye. :sleep:

Last edited:
Probably not, but could this be reactionary to Universal opening a new park?
We haven't reached the point of WDW properly responding to Potter yet, much less a third park.

I'm still very skeptical we'll get anything else because of losing this. Again, this was only budgeted at $25M, which is only a small dent in what in all likelihood would be a $200M ride (whatever the ride may be) should it happen. If they can justify that type of expense, then $25M for a theatre is something you might as well do anyway.

There's something else here. Either there is structural damage that they just found out about or were just told to shut it down. We very well may get a ride in AdvLand, but it's not because they looked at how much they were spending on this and were like "NOPE"

n3RGs0O.gif

What about the pirates show they have at Shanghai? It seems like it would be a good addition from what I’ve seen.
That and the ropes course from Shanghai would be welcomed. The ropes course is pretty much SHDL's version of Camp Jurassic.

Also worth mentioning that HKDL has a Moana show that's opening this year.

That and the ropes course from Shanghai would be welcomed. The ropes course is pretty much SHDL's version of Camp Jurassic.

Also worth mentioning that HKDL has a Moana show that's opening this year.

Hypothetically, shouldn't cloning an attraction be cheaper than having a new attraction by scratch?

It just boggles my mind that you can sit and watch a good Disney show in every Disneyland park except the Magic Kingdom.
That was exactly what my son said after coming back from DL last week. How they have so many great theatrical productions (live stage shows), while MK has none.

Hmmm....possible Adventureland-y clones would be
  • Indiana Jones Adventure (unlikely due to Dinosaur)
  • Mystic Manor (unlikely due to your reasoning)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • Crush Coaster (not a great fit, but wouldn't be the first time)
That was harder than I expected it to be :lol:

I had to google to make sure I didn't make it up in my head, but you missed one: Raging Spirits.

Themed to Adventureland? Check. Thrill ride to balance out Tron? Check. Probably cheapest to clone? I have to figure.

Confirmed: Third Dumbo ;):lol::angry:..........................What's really funny is that the last five pages of discussion on the WDW Magic Theater Cancelled thread are responses to, and quotes of, rumors on the theater from this Inside Universal thread. :lol:.....and the Circle of Life (Rumors) goes on

Last edited: