Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 237 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Question, is there any metric or examples of how Star Wars is the "largest IP" around? Call me biased but I see a lot of group think without much rigorous thought put into it. I see China as an example of how Star Wars isn't as strong outside of the USA as people think. It's possible, if not probable, I'm wrong but if I don't ask the questions then how do our discussions become stronger?

Also yes I'm dangerously tiptoeing around the purpose of this thread so when I get home tonight I might consolidate this discussion to the SWL thread.
Ironically, I would put the Disney brand in and of itself much higher in worldwide appeal than Star Wars...Funny because Disney has been on a bringing IPs in kick rather than looking at their own stuff

Question, is there any metric or examples of how Star Wars is the "largest IP" around? Call me biased but I see a lot of group think without much rigorous thought put into it. I see China as an example of how Star Wars isn't as strong outside of the USA as people think. It's possible, if not probable, I'm wrong but if I don't ask the questions then how do our discussions become stronger?

Also yes I'm dangerously tiptoeing around the purpose of this thread so when I get home tonight I might consolidate this discussion to the SWL thread.

I would agree with you that it likely isn't the largest internationally- in fact, Nintendo is arguably stronger. But domestically, and with the age demographic that spends- I simply don't see any rival to Star Wars.
If UOR was the only one getting SNW, then that would be an argument also- because it would draw international visitors more without Japan having the same thing. Star Wars on the other hand at WDW is going to be the only place that has it (sans DL, of course).

I would agree with you that it likely isn't the largest internationally- in fact, Nintendo is arguably stronger. But domestically, and with the age demographic that spends- I simply don't see any rival to Star Wars.
If UOR was the only one getting SNW, then that would be an argument also- because it would draw international visitors more without Japan having the same thing. Star Wars on the other hand at WDW is going to be the only place that has it (sans DL, of course).
Who is Disney World trying to attract?

I completely agree. Going head to head with Star Wars is just dumb. Nintendo is a monster IP, but Star Wars is on a completely other level. Anyone who argues otherwise is simply delusional or biased. And everyone who loves Nintendo loves Star Wars. But everyone who loves Star Wars doesn't necessarily love Nintendo. Although they are both very similar demographics.
I'd wait a solid 6 months to a year and then come out with Nintendo world. Not only will that not let the bigger IP bury you- but if SNW comes out with better rides than SWL, that will be a nice undercut.

Man I don't agree with this at all. Not that Star Wars isn't bigger than Nintendo, but that they should put it off. People coming down for SW are gonna want to see Nintendo over anything at EPCOT.

You know- even more than just "1 attraction a year"- it would actually be smart to bring on a new HP attraction. The dark ride at DC doesn't have to be something groundbreaking- like SNW will need to be- just family friendly and good.

But from a marketing prospective- look at it as if you're trying to get the SW MASSIVE crowds to come visit universal while they are at Disney. They're going to get a slew of "casual" theme park fans going because of Star Wars- so you can grab them with the fact several have never seen the Harry Potter areas but have heard amazing things about them. Or at the very least have only seen hogsmeade. "Come to Orlando and see Star Wars and the new and improved Harry Potter area".

And the amazing thing about that is that the people seeing both Star Wars land and WWoHP for the first time in the same trip will look at HP as the much better area (because it's way bigger with the train and 2 lands). So as a comparison universal will come off as the better lands- even though it's unfair because one is one project and the other is 3 projects.

So they ultimately come off seeing volcano bay, all these other rides they didn't go on, and seeing that universal can do a land even better than Disney. And all of a sudden, they're booking a universal only trip when Nintendo land comes out the following year.

I really hope they go in that direction.

Thats an angle that I hadn't considered. If they could get something new Potter out before SW Land opens, they could very realistically get even those who have been to the WWHOP and Diagon to add another day or more to their trip.

Well the parks are in the US, and the US market makes up the vast majority of their business, so you kinda have to look at the US market primarily. Looking Worldwide is fair to an extent, but I'm sure there are IP's that are huge in China that would never even be blue skyed for a US park. So for the US market, Star Wars is the top IP over time. You can look at movie revenues. It has 4 of the top ten domestically of all time. One of which came out 40 years ago. Two came out in the last couple years, so it's still relevant. You can also look at merchandise, where its consistently in the top sellers list. Even years where there were no movies coming out, it still was near the top of the merch charts. Then there is just the popular culture impact. Everyone knows Star Wars. Even the few people that haven't seen the movies, pretty much know something about it. About the only other thing that I could see comparing to it is if you want to call "Disney" an IP. Or possibly all of the Disney Princesses combined.

Reactions: Andysol
Man I don't agree with this at all. Not that Star Wars isn't bigger than Nintendo, but that they should put it off. People coming down for SW are gonna want to see Nintendo over anything at EPCOT.

I agree- they would want to see Nintendo over anything at Epcot. But my thinking is there will be so many casual fans or people who haven't been in 5+ years. And the reality is- Disney still hasn't added much at all in 5 years. But a lot of those same casual fans have heard nothing but praise from WWoHP. So say you're that person- you see star wars land and love it- but you want to see WWoHP also. You go- fall in love seeing them outdo even the "brand new" star wars land that you just saw (again- because itd be 3 separate projects in Diagon, Hogsmeade, and new DC area).
Then you notice they have a flippin Nintendo land coming next year? Which are you more likely to book up for the future- another Disney trip with a side trip to Nintendo? Or a WWoHP/Nintendo trip with a side trip to Star Wars?

Just thinking out loud. Hell- I'm fine with either- but as a marketing standpoint I see doing Nintendo after as being a much better fit. I think we can all agree they need something marketable in 2019. I just dont think they should A) rush Nintendo. or B) not have Nintendo be the premier thing the year it is released.

The other coin is everyone is coming for Star Wars and has to see this incredible Nintendo land theyve heard about also as you mentioned. They're gonna be successful regardless and its a fantastic "problem" to have. "When do we release this land to make hundreds of millions?"

Reactions: Blue
I think it could be strategic.

People coming down for Star Wars could end up going to Universal as well and then they could get them to come again for Nintendo the next year. They should still have something for 2019 though.

Reactions: Blue
Universal & Disney feeds off each others' businesses. If both Nintendo & SWL opened within six months of each other, it'll prompt waves of tourists to visit Orlando. Many will attend both. And another thing to consider is that DHS will continue to have capacity issues even after SWL opens. Only X number of people are going to be able to use the SWL area at any given time. If Universal has a new attraction land like Nintendo, they'll get a lot of the overflow. And it will work the other way too. Tourists for Universal will make side trips to Disney for SWL. Sounds like a win win for everyone. If the tourists are coming into town, it makes good business sense to grab their attention, and their money, while they're in Orlando. It's a marketing dream.

Reactions: Mike S
Avatar's first announcement was the "deal signing," kinda like Nintendo and Universal did in May 2015. I would expect Avatar and Nintendo to have pretty similar timelines.

Avatar's first announcement was the "deal signing," kinda like Nintendo and Universal did in May 2015. I would expect Avatar and Nintendo to have pretty similar timelines.
Except that Nintendo is rumored for USJ in 2019 which will be 4 years instead of 5.

Except that Nintendo is rumored for USJ in 2019 which will be 4 years instead of 5.
That's Japan though. Had they announced Avatar in September 2011 for WDW and TDL and it had opened at TDL last year and WDW this year, very few people would actually care because they wouldn't be visiting it until it opens in Orlando.

We're on an Orlando theme park forum... USJ opening is fun to talk about, but USF opening is fun to visit :)

That's Japan though. Had they announced Avatar in September 2011 for WDW and TDL and it had opened at TDL last year and WDW this year, very few people would actually care because they wouldn't be visiting it until it opens in Orlando.

We're on an Orlando theme park forum... USJ opening is fun to talk about, but USF opening is fun to visit :)
I know. Just stating that it's still different. The initial Nintendo announcement didn't say where it was going.

well in japan its taking up almost a forth of the park everything in the Hollywood section is going so it need to be a big area
universal-studios-japan-map-is-nintendo-land-being-delayed.jpg