Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 313 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
With overhead concept arts of Mario Kart in the pitch showing that there are other cars that cannot be used by riders; I would imagine that the AR is more for the sake of the background environments, and the track effects (Shells, boosts, so-forth).
Which is what was said here but that link to the article said ride characters so hoping he's just guessing.

If the glasses are anything like MicroSoft's HoloLens it's not that great. During presentations it looks cool when "the camera shows you what the person wearing the glasses is seeing" but when you actually wear the glasses you only have a small area that has the augmentation part. When you move your head it disappears although it's still in your viewing are.

projection on a windshield is proven technique (although in real world application it's troublesome with sunlights) but in a dark ride building it would be great although I'm not sure how an object could be placed on the track if there is more then 1 person in the vehicle and they both look trough the same shee.

I'm not sure how an object could be placed on the track if there is more then 1 person in the vehicle and they both look trough the same shee.

As I tried to suggest, a rounded shield that comes down with ones over-the-shoulder restraint would do the trick for this. Each person gets their own shield.

Last edited:
Reactions: anihilnation
I don't think they'll do virtual lines. At this point it's fine for medium and small attractions but Potter didn't even have Express until next week... Too risky for a big ride if you ask me.

Plus, these will be queues people will like... like Potter.

I don't think they'll do virtual lines. At this point it's fine for medium and small attractions but Potter didn't even have Express until next week... Too risky for a big ride if you ask me.

Plus, these will be queues people will like... like Potter.

The size of the ride doesn't make a difference. Nintendo themed interactive queue would work. I don't think you fully understand or see the potential of what the queue-less system can fully entail. You can have queue-less and fully immersive rooms. Fallon is an extremely weak use of this system to be honest.

The size of the ride doesn't make a difference. Nintendo themed interactive queue would work. I don't think you fully understand or see the potential of what the queue-less system can fully entail. You can have queue-less and fully immersive rooms. Fallon is an extremely weak use of this system to be honest.
More to my point... I don't think virtual line system is yet up to the task of handling the crowds appropriately.

People get mad when return times are out by noon. But have no problem waiting in a four hour line for a new major attraction like Gringotts or Flight of Passage.

I dont mean for this to come off as bashing your post, I'm genuinely curious since I do not know much about theme park operations, but if all the rides in Universal were magically turned into the same sort of system as VB and Fallon, what steps could universal make so that you don't "preplan" your entire day at the park?

I understand we all sort of do this to a degree if we are serious about seeing all the things we wanna see, but just humor me. I still feel like, even planning most of the order I want to do things in depending on the crowd and what not, that I have a substantial amount of freedom to do what I want or change plans at the last minute if I want.

I like the idea of virtual line, but even I admit it's pretty upsetting to be told you can't even wait in line for something when the park is still open for another half of the day.

The virtual line passes run out because there's nothing stopping everyone from getting one (or ten for their whole party) and then not even utilizing it.

Still needs work unfortunately.

EDIT: If you look at my post history I've defended Virtual Line for a long while now. I am definitely not one of the haters or negative nilly's. Just stating my current thoughts. I think it might even revolutionize theme parks someday. But it's still early.

If the glasses are anything like MicroSoft's HoloLens it's not that great. During presentations it looks cool when "the camera shows you what the person wearing the glasses is seeing" but when you actually wear the glasses you only have a small area that has the augmentation part. When you move your head it disappears although it's still in your viewing are.

projection on a windshield is proven technique (although in real world application it's troublesome with sunlights) but in a dark ride building it would be great although I'm not sure how an object could be placed on the track if there is more then 1 person in the vehicle and they both look trough the same shee.

Will not be Holo lens....83% certain it will be Meta VR who will create the system/program for the AR. They currently have 120 degree field of view for their small scale glasses and working to get larger area.

I like the idea of virtual line, but even I admit it's pretty upsetting to be told you can't even wait in line for something when the park is still open for another half of the day.

The virtual line passes run out because there's nothing stopping everyone from getting one (or ten for their whole party) and then not even utilizing it.

Still needs work unfortunately.

EDIT: If you look at my post history I've defended Virtual Line for a long while now. I am definitely not one of the haters or negative nilly's. Just stating my current thoughts. I think it might even revolutionize theme parks someday. But it's still early.

I think people are using virtual line and queueless attraction interchangeably. I think he meant to say queueless like Fallon not return time to ride.

I think people are using virtual line and queueless attraction interchangeably. I think he meant to say queueless like Fallon not return time to ride.
Fallon uses return times.

I get that it has a waiting area after you check in, but it also uses return time reservations prior to that. They go together, otherwise there wouldn't be enough room in the queueless lobbies for all the bodies waiting.

Fallon uses return times.

I get that it has a waiting area after you check in, but it also uses return time reservations prior to that. They go together, otherwise there wouldn't be enough room in the queueless lobbies for all the bodies waiting.

I would agree with the estimate that it will be at least three floors, there is potential to hold a lot of bodies inside at once, then use return time to when you actually get on the track.

The AR better not be for the Mario Kart characters racing against us.
Personally, I pictured a trackless system (probably busbar now since the Kong fiasco), where they would weave in and out of each other at varying speeds, the AR would be all the power up stuff....And it would zip along at a fast speed..

Speaking of which, how fast can a ride go on a busbar system? I was wondering that the other day

As I tried to suggest, a rounded shield that comes down with ones over-the-shoulder restraint would do the trick for this. Each person gets their own shield.
I don't know if I like that

I'm going to say maybe on virtual line tbh at this point. I think they may still be waiting to see what happens with F&F and VB.
I would love the chance to explore Peach's castle...I may cry if it's anything like the N64 version, I grew up with that

Personally, I pictured a trackless system (probably busbar now since the Kong fiasco), where they would weave in and out of each other at varying speeds, the AR would be all the power up stuff....And it would zip along at a fast speed..

I don't know if people should expect the cars to be able to weave in front of each other. It's seemingly just concept art, but there are pictures posted on twitter of 3d computer program art that focuses on a Mario Kart ride where Bowser is in a green kart, Mario in a white cart, and Wario has a purple kart. In this art, the Mario Kart ride shown in these pictures seems kind of similar to Radiator Springs Racers. There's even a portion of the ride where there the ride changes to two tracks that seem to be parallel to each other with a kart on each track like a portion of the Radiator Springs Racers ride. So if Mario Kart is similar to this concept art, which I don't know if it actually is, maybe people should expect going on it to be similar to going on Radiator Springs Racers.

Reactions: Alicia
I don't know if people should expect the cars to be able to weave in front of each other. It's seemingly just concept art, but there are pictures posted on twitter of 3d computer program art that focuses on a Mario Kart ride where Bowser is in a green kart, Mario in a white cart, and Wario has a purple kart. In this art, the Mario Kart ride shown in these pictures seems kind of similar to Radiator Springs Racers. There's even a portion of the ride where there the ride changes to two tracks that seem to be parallel to each other with a kart on each track like a portion of the Radiator Springs Racers ride. So if Mario Kart is similar to this concept art, which I don't know if it actually is, maybe people should expect going on it to be similar to going on Radiator Springs Racers.
This is what I'm thinking will be the case. Definitely not trackless...

But I wouldn't be surprised if there were two completely separate tracks with human racers, and they might come close to one another at different points of the ride - in addition to the AA characters.

That would be better for capacity -and- make for some unique "close call" moments.

Will not be Holo lens....83% certain it will be Meta VR who will create the system/program for the AR. They currently have 120 degree field of view for their small scale glasses and working to get larger area.
Thanks for the reply. I never heard of META and found a review with quotes that don't bode well:
Meta’s augmented reality glasses look ridiculous, but they’re ridiculously comfortable - The Verge
- "...its images look less convincingly real, more like a projection than a solid object..... And even its creators admit it’s not nearly as good at tracking the world — as you walk around, objects shudder to the point of disorientation, even if they’re beautifully clear when you’re still."
- "...its 90-degree field of view..."
Pro is that they are comfortable and relatively cheap compared to other brands. Still I'm not convinced this is the way to go.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush