Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 315 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not at all convinced Zelda can anchor a park. The series is beloved among gamers of course (and if my icon doesn't make it obvious, I love it too), but it does not carry near as much wide appeal among the general public. The series has never broke more than 10m copies (although I'll be fair that that may not be accurate, as game sales are hard to track) and simply isn't a household name like Mario, or even Pokemon. IMO if they add Zelda, it'll be a smaller, supplementary land similar to Springfield.

I still very much hope that Universal holds off on Orlando's SNW until the 3rd park is available for it.

Building Hollywood's SNW then holding off a few years until the 3rd Orlando park is ready is ideal for me.

The Hollywood fanboy inside of me would love it. I think HW needs the immediate traffic more than Orlando, but I have a feeling Orlandos will open a few months (if not a year) before Hollywood.

I'm not at all convinced Zelda can anchor a park. The series is beloved among gamers of course (and if my icon doesn't make it obvious, I love it too), but it does not carry near as much wide appeal among the general public. The series has never broke more than 10m copies (although I'll be fair that that may not be accurate, as game sales are hard to track) and simply isn't a household name like Mario, or even Pokemon. IMO if they add Zelda, it'll be a smaller, supplementary land similar to Springfield.
This is why I think Zelda should replace LC and Pokémon goes to anchor the new park.

This is why I think Zelda should replace LC and Pokémon goes to anchor the new park.
I agree with you two. Pokemon and Mario are really the two most "global" IPs in Nintendo's arsenal. They're the two that everyone (including non-gamers) know. If you're looking for "park anchors" those two are the ones you're looking at...

I agree with you two. Pokemon and Mario are really the two most "global" IPs in Nintendo's arsenal. They're the two that everyone (including non-gamers) know. If you're looking for "park anchors" those two are the ones you're looking at...
Yes. I grew up on Nintendo(Mario mostly) and I know enough about Pokemon I'll say, to relate to a land. When I first heard of Zelda i thought it was soo not good enough to be at a park because I at the time was confusing it with zena warrior princess. I actually had to look up Zelda to know what it really was. I guess it's enough for a little sum sum, but i think there's plenty other things that would blend better with the gp.

Yes. I grew up on Nintendo(Mario mostly) and I know enough about Pokemon I'll say, to relate to a land. When I first heard of Zelda i thought it was soo not good enough to be at a park because I at the time was confusing it with zena warrior princess. I actually had to look up Zelda to know what it really was. I guess it's enough for a little sum sum, but i think there's plenty other things that would blend better with the gp.
Yeah, Zelda's a bit more like Donkey Kong, Metroid, or Kirby; it's one of Nintendo's top franchises, but Pokemon and Mario are on another level in terms of how ubiquitous they are in pop culture. Everybody knows what Pokemon/Mario are, but the other franchises may need a little bit of intro to people that haven't played the other franchises.

Still, I can see how all of those would be able to become great theme park experiences even though some might need a bit of a primer.

Mario could probably be in multiple parks if they put a Mario Kart experience in one and then a Super Mario World (complete with a castle or something) in another.

Reactions: fryoj
Mario could probably be in multiple parks if they put a Mario Kart experience in one and then a Super Mario World (complete with a castle or something) in another.
The first phase in KidZone will feature the Mushroom Kingdom and Peach's Castle prominently as the main courtyard. The Mario Kart ride will exist in its own ride building. So they're already covering both of those already.

I don't think we'll see more Mario in the other parks (IOA and new gate) but we may see more Mario added on to the original land going into KidZone, as an expansion someday years down the road. :)

Reactions: Mike S
The first phase in KidZone will feature the Mushroom Kingdom and Peach's Castle prominently as the main courtyard. The Mario Kart ride will exist in its own ride building. So they're already covering both of those already.

I don't think we'll see more Mario in the other parks (IOA and new gate) but we may see more Mario added on to the original land going into KidZone, as an expansion someday years down the road. :)
DB-qdeCXkAA_FPS.jpg:large

Yeah, looking at this, it looks like Pokemon is the major thing that might get more space later.

DB-qdeCXkAA_FPS.jpg:large

Yeah, looking at this, it looks like Pokemon is the major thing not included in the current Orlando plans.
I know it's been said before, but these plans are horribly out of date. The location of Princess Peach's castle and the general locations of Mario Kart and Donkey Kong rides may be the only things that have remained since this.

Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon are not part of the current plans.
Nor is Bullet Bill and Koopa Shell flat rides as far as I've heard... Plus Yoshi isn't present in that original art but will be in the land.

Reactions: Mike S and zg44
I know it's been said before, but these plans are horribly out of date. The location of Princess Peach's castle and the general locations of Mario Kart and Donkey Kong rides may be the only things that have remained since this.

Nor is Bullet Bill and Koopa Shell flat rides as far as I've heard... Plus Yoshi isn't present in that original art but will be in the land.
Assuming that Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby end up somewhere in Orlando, do you think it'd be in an expansion to this or in a different park? i.e. how complete will this part of SNW be?

Assuming that Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby end up somewhere in Orlando, do you think it'd be in an expansion to this or in a different park? i.e. how complete will this part of SNW be?
Different park(s).

Similar to how The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade and Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley exist in different parks but are related.

EDIT: And honestly, I wouldn't expect to see Kirby anywhere at all... except maybe the sign of an Ice Cream stand.

Looking at the layout, I can't imagine them not wanting to make it a flow-through on the other end of Simpsons. It may not be a day one option, but I can't see all traffic in and out of one access point working for such a large area.

Looking at the layout, I can't imagine them not wanting to make it a flow-through on the other end of Simpsons. It may not be a day one option, but I can't see all traffic in and out of one access point working for such a large area.
Maybe someday. But at the start it's definitely a one way in out land, exactly the same way Diagon is now.

I'd be surprised if this area didn't have virtual queues. I would think Fallon would be them testing what works to replace pre-shows. I mean, with Nintendo, why wouldn't they want to let people explore gaming in a room for 20 minutes, then move that group to another room for 20 minutes of play...and then on to the ride.

Was thinking this weekend what us parents will do for our kids. I met a lot of folks like me who took our kid(s) to see this you tuber from England perform at two sold out shows at the Dr Phillips Center.

This 20 something with 15M+ subscribers said his first gaming experience was SNES...and now he 'entertains' kids on the net with things like Mine Craft...and now he can tour the states and see his followers scream at his rock star status.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush