Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 368 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am not saying that ET isn't Iconic. But, I do believe that ET has problems. I don't call it over-rated, mind you; but I do think it's not as perfect as people call it out to be.

To be perfectly honest, films like Jaws; Close Encounters; and Schindler's List are to me, near perfect to about perfect films that shows why Spielberg is one of the best directors in Hollywood, even now.

As far as ET is concerned; it's essentially just being saved for something inevitable. And that I have to think Comcast and Spielberg may begin talks on a new deal for the sake of the theme parks and the movie studios.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then

I've never seen Close Encounters though so thanks for the heads up!

I'll only take E.T.'s closure if it's for a similarly elaborate family dark ride. (cough Luigi’s Mansion cough)

Also, the thought of Yoshi being similar to Navi River Journey in length and Seuss Trolley in capacity is... concerning.

and Stitch's Great Escape in quality :bolt:

just kidding.

Close Encounters has clunky writing. But I agree Schindler's List is a masterpiece. And Jaws single-handedly kick-started the summer blockbuster concept.

Honestly, I don't have that problem with Close Encounters to be honest. That said; I can get where people may come from.

I'm actually surprised by how many kids in line for ET Adventure actually know who he is. Clearly parents still show this film to their kids.

That said, you throw a Nintendo property in there it'll probably be five times as popular.

Personally, I would think of that more being due to that it's the only kids dark ride in the park.

That said, as you mentioned; if they throw in a Nintendo IP, it WILL get more people into that attraction.

I'll only take E.T.'s closure if it's for a similarly elaborate family dark ride. (cough Luigi’s Mansion cough)

Also, the thought of Yoshi being similar to Navi River Journey in length and Seuss Trolley in capacity is... concerning.

Honestly, I think Luigi's Mansion would make a great attraction using that Chose your own adventure patent from a long while back as the basis for the ride.

Reactions: Grits0808

I agree on dark ride theming. If we lost ET to something with screens I'll scream.

And Yoshi will be fun for what it is, and should load fast, so capacity might not be too big an issue. But mostly, I think it'll add some nice kinetic energy to the area, with Yoshis bobbing in an out of caves above the land. Kinda like in the concept art (except with people riding them.)

YOSHI.jpg

That could be cute. I just hope capacity is sufficient so it's not a Navi River Journey situation where you wait an hour for an extremely short underwhelming attraction. Plus I just think the resort needs a nice, lengthy, atmospheric dark ride. SLoP likely will be faster paced and Yoshi sounds like something different entirely, but maybe MoM or an eventual Zelda/Luigi’s Mansion could be an answer to that.

That could be cute. I just hope capacity is sufficient so it's not a Navi River Journey situation where you wait an hour for an extremely short underwhelming attraction. Plus I just think the resort needs a nice, lengthy, atmospheric dark ride. SLoP likely will be faster paced and Yoshi sounds like something different entirely, but maybe MoM or an eventual Zelda/Luigi’s Mansion could be an answer to that.
Yoshi' capacity will be well above Suess Trolley. Think Haunted Mansion with the buggies lined up close to one another....SLoP is pretty fast paced. Only 4 minutes but it has lots of neat, fun, family thrill experiences & close interactions with mobile AA's, plus a fantastic pre show. SloP will have Kong like (when Kong has 4 RV's running) , Transformer, Gringotts, capacity.

Yes. Way too late.

I used to like you Mike....you're glad to see Dragons gone, now threatening to destroy ET...what happened to nice Mike? We're you replaced by an evil clone? LOL
I just care far more for having Nintendo be the best it can possibly be.

As to Dragons I think I've made my points very clear and they don't need repeating.

Yoshi' capacity will be well above Suess Trolley. Think Haunted Mansion with the buggies lined up close to one another....SLoP is pretty fast paced. Only 4 minutes but it has lots of neat, fun, family thrill experiences & close interactions with mobile AA's, plus a fantastic pre show. SloP will have Kong like (when Kong has 4 RV's running) , Transformer, Gringotts, capacity.
Sounds better than I was imagining, then. I still hope MoM or Nintendo 1.25 bring us a lengthy dark ride though, something in the 6-9 minutes range.

I'm with him on ET, but due to that I don't think it being relevant anymore in modern media. And that, I wouldn't call the film a masterpiece.

You’re young still Alex- compared to many who see E.T. As nostalgic and can take an opposing stance to your statement. There are plenty of better movies, but considering what E.T. Started, I don’t know how someone wouldn’t call it a masterpiece.
E.T. Certainly had its flaws- and Close Encounters, from a cinematic standpoint, is the better of the two movies.
But E.T. Best captures the fascination and imagination of a child. Or really, anyone who hasn’t developed a cynical view- as it relates to our place in the universe.

E.T. Broke grounds and created a genre. Without it, we don’t have a dozen other great movies. And kiss Stranger Things goodbye. ;)
And that’s why I would argue it being a masterpiece. Any film that creates a genre and is that original deserves that title.

At first I was going to argue with Alicia’s description of Yoshi being like the trolley ride, however, it is pretty much that except, it doesn’t go out over the greater Nintendo area or the guests. Too, the designs have more mechanical/AAs characters and objects outdoors than does the trolley ride.

Alicia’s screen capture above really elicits the feel of the Yoshi attraction as it was designed for Japan. I only hope that it is coming to Orlando.

Reactions: Mike S and Alicia
At first I was going to argue with Alicia’s description of Yoshi being like the trolley ride, however, it is pretty much that except, it doesn’t go out over the greater Nintendo area or the guests. Too, the designs have more mechanical/AAs characters and objects outdoors than does the trolley ride.

Alicia’s screen capture above really elicits the feel of the Yoshi attraction as it was designed for Japan. I only hope that it is coming to Orlando.
Now I'm hoping 1.25 is Luigi's Mansion. It's not big enough to support its own land, but as part of a greater "Mushroom Kingdom" that even includes Donkey Kong? Heck yes.

Put Zelda in IoA where it belongs.

Close Encounters has clunky writing. But I agree Schindler's List is a masterpiece. And Jaws single-handedly kick-started the summer blockbuster concept.

I'm actually surprised by how many kids in line for ET Adventure actually know who he is. Clearly parents still show this film to their kids.

That said, you throw a Nintendo property in there it'll probably be five times as popular.
It's a very "universal" film in that anyone around the world can pop it in and connect with the story...Also, it has been a part of the parks since the beginning and is the Peter Pan's flight of Universal...I know I've said they don't work that way and nostalgia isn't one of their core values...But I think ET is a special case

It should be refurbed, remastered and redone

It's a very "universal" film in that anyone around the world can pop it in and connect with the story...Also, it has been a part of the parks since the beginning and is the Peter Pan's flight of Universal...I know I've said they don't work that way and nostalgia isn't one of their core values...But I think ET is a special case

It should be refurbed, remastered and redone
I am 25 years old and the part where you fly over the city still makes me smile.

Now I'm hoping 1.25 is Luigi's Mansion. It's not big enough to support its own land, but as part of a greater "Mushroom Kingdom" that even includes Donkey Kong? Heck yes.

Put Zelda in IoA where it belongs.
I know early last week I was putting Zelda at MiB, but I've changed my mind. I am now putting Zelda as one of the Anchor IPs for Site B.

I still believe that there is something up for the MiB plot sooner rather than later, but it's not Zelda. And I believe there is something to the Star Trek rumors, but it's not for T2.

I still believe that there is something up for the MiB plot sooner rather than later, but it's not Zelda. And I believe there is something to the Star Trek rumors, but it's not for T2.
Star Trek wouldn't be a terrible choice for an MIB replacement. Not sure how they would theme it, though.

Reactions: Scott W.