Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 398 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
it doesn’t need a story though. The Pokémon sell the land and it’s why people come. You just need the basic mart, center, safari zone, and maybe battle arena and then a pick your starter. If you honestly think they won’t do Pokémon because the lands are different every game, you’re crazy.

What’s the story of SNW?
Don’t even pick a region. Make a vague Pokémon reserve or some kind of tourist spot and call it a day. Make a Safari Zone E Ticket that uses screens for easily adding new Pokémon as they come and real AAs for the most famous ones like Pikachu, Charizard, etc. Then have an audience participation Pokémon Stadium that uses incredible projections to bring battles to life. All the other ideas here get added in as well. Don’t use any specific characters besides the Pokémon themselves.

Cut, print, cash the many, MANY checks.
Food for thought, what if Universal Creative and The Pokemon Company collaborate together to make a exclusively themed Pokemon land that brings elements from all the games?
Exactly.

I know most people who play Pokémon like a lot of us have our favorite region Pokémon, but there is a reason they really only sell plushes of Pikachu, charmander, and Eevee. They are their most well know.

Food for thought, what if Universal Creative and The Pokemon Company collaborate together to make a exclusively themed Pokemon land that brings elements from all the games?

That's the only way I can see Pokemon working based on their own statements while remaining and keeping the integrity of the locations as well as not offending and maintaining a somewhat emotional pull on guests. But even then the land still requires a story i.e how each town has their own quirky like Mossdeep city is known for their space center or Fortee City is a city with most the houses in trees etc. At least with a new area, etc they are able to do that and explain how all pokemon are available and welcome here.

That's the only way I can see Pokemon working based on their own statements while remaining and keeping the integrity of the locations as well as not offending and maintaining a somewhat emotional pull on guests. But even then the land still requires a story i.e how each town has their own quirky like Mossdeep city is known for their space center or Fortee City is a city with most the houses in trees etc. At least with a new area, etc they are able to do that and explain how all pokemon are available and welcome here.

And to be honest, I actually think they can do that, as long as Universal Creative and The Pokemon Company collaborate together on all fronts, to make it fit into the Pokemon series while at the same time, keeping in mind that this is a theme park setting.

The new area is known for incredible biodiversity.

Easy.

It’s honestly much easier to make something for Pokémon since the story matters so little compared to the creatures themselves.

Reactions: captainmoch
I know most people who play Pokémon like a lot of us have our favorite region Pokémon, but there is a reason they really only sell plushes of Pikachu, charmander, and Eevee. They are their most well know.

Not fully true...while the best selling is Pikachu, Nintendo sells way way way more...major US retailers only buy certain ones in bulk which skews...but at smaller shops you see way more diversity and in claw machines across the world, I have seen from Horseas to Lapras to Mudkip to Gengar to Jirachi.

f9d8ba5b98a75f48679bc66f49837f07.jpg

The land determine the pokemon though. Remember each region has distinctive Pokemon and other pokemon can't be found there. Kanto your starters are Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, yet in Hoenn which is my personal favorite region those Pokemon are nowhere to be found. Remember IP integrity is also important and a real thing not just lets put thing in just to put them in.

Again, because every game is different for Pokemon, they can't do a region based land. Its not like Avatar, it more like Star Wars, if they recreated some place it would have to be like Batuu in Star Wars Land.

Even among the games the design of Pokemon centers, the battle arenas, etc are completely different. Like the ones in the Alola region having clothing stores attached to the pokemon center which none of the other games had.

So while you saw oh its so easy for UC to just plop a pokemon land down. I think its much farther down the land than anything else based on their own words.

It’s easy.

“Professor Oak has brought Pokemon from across the world to Pokemon Isle for you to see. From Kanto to Alola, the creatures you know and love are excited to meet you.”

There. Every region is represented without it being tied to any specific game.

I’m going to throw a wrench and say don’t build a “choose your starter” experience. Instead, make it a closeup look at various Pokémon presented by researchers thus preventing any problem with “But I want to take it home!!!”

You know this will happen.

For this attraction Universal would contract Creature to make very special new kinds of advanced animatronics: ones built to touch. They would all be small “cute” Pokémon from across all generations not restricted to starters with new ones being added or switched with others periodically. Basically a M&G.

Not fully true...while the best selling is Pikachu, Nintendo sells way way way more...major US retailers only buy certain ones in bulk which skews...but at smaller shops you see way more diversity and in claw machines across the world, I have seen from Horseas to Lapras to Mudkip to Gengar to Jirachi.

f9d8ba5b98a75f48679bc66f49837f07.jpg
But when building lands we’re building for the general public. Yes fanatics will come initially just like HP, but the general public will come to the land for Pikachu.

Reactions: Mike S
I can say right now it doesn't matter how you present it, if people can't get the Pokemon through catching them or picking a starter, lots of disappointed fans are coming their way.

I’m going to throw a wrench and say don’t build a “choose your starter” experience. Instead, make it a closeup look at various Pokémon presented by researchers thus preventing any problem with “But I want to take it home!!!”

You know this will happen.

For this attraction Universal would contract Creature to make very special new kinds of advanced animatronics: ones built to touch. They would all be small “cute” Pokémon from across all generations not restricted to starters with new ones being added or switched with others periodically. Basically a M&G.
Said this before if we have meet and greet they better be like the baby groot and not people in costumes.

Reactions: Frogki and Mike S
I can say right now it doesn't matter how you present it, if people can't get the Pokemon through catching them or picking a starter, lots of disappointed fans are coming their way.
And most wont give a :poop: if there’s a realistic AA Pikachu you can hug and take a picture with.

You cannot realistically apply catching Pokémon in a theme park setting because it would throw off the suspension of disbelief if you can’t actually have a Pokémon other than buying a doll. I think most people should be smart enough to realize this.

Okay so to play catch up, here I go.

Slated for possible early 2018 construction start? And not be finish until 2021?
DK, and Mario attraction only?
DK 200,000 sq ft is compared to what ride now? Same with Mario, what's 75 k now?
8 Acres for two attractions with that mmuch space means building up.....

Should be interesting.

That’s what I meant... the inclusion of all three parks.
Meaning Volcano Bay as the third park?

I disagree somewhat - while impressive AAs throughout the land are vital, a HUGE part of the games is the actual capturing, training, and bonding with Pokemon. I'm not saying make something super complex, but if they don't go with something similar to the banshee puppets for at least a few Pokemon, they're losing major exclusive merch sales, which is after all where the money is at.

I disagree somewhat - while impressive AAs throughout the land are vital, a HUGE part of the games is the actual capturing, training, and bonding with Pokemon. I'm not saying make something super complex, but if they don't go with something similar to the banshee puppets for at least a few Pokemon, they're losing major exclusive merch sales, which is after all where the money is at.
I’m sure there will be something like the Banshee puppets.

Reactions: Frogki
Then we're in agreement! I think the number of pokemon limits them when it comes to custom merch, so they'll want to keep it to a few of the most popular ones for that sort of thing and the multitude of others can simply come in plush form.
As for the land itself - AAs throughout would be the most incredible thing they could do. Preferably include some sort of experience involving capturing them (Pokemon in general, not the AAs haha).

Reactions: Mike S
But when building lands we’re building for the general public. Yes fanatics will come initially just like HP, but the general public will come to the land for Pikachu.

That's the thing though even amongst fans we all probably enjoy something different in the games. My favorite part of pokemon was going around and seeing all the new towns and what they had to offer. I loved the adventure aspect which is in part why Hoenn is my favorite as it was the most adventure. For me, the best attraction would be a land full of exploration and finding pokemon while going around through caves, water, grass etc.

Others love battling for them, all they want to do is battle all day long.

Even amongst the GP, the most known is Pikachu, they themselves might like a different pokemon or aspect of pokemon than another member of the GP.

That is why I made my original statement about Pokemon being hard for UC and why it was so small in the original plans. Not because they can't do it but unlike Zelda, Mario, DK, its a lot harder to please both fans and GP in a great way.

Reactions: Frogki
I think it's very possible to strike a balance. Just look at Potter. The GP doesn't go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter to go to Borkin & Burkes or to watch a show based off a singer mentioned once, offhandedly, in the books. The GP goes to WWoHP to enter Hogwarts, to buy wands, to ride the Hogwarts Express, to explore Diagon Alley. But there's still the more obscure things to really satisfy the hardcore fans. Pokemon can be the exact same way. The GP will come to see Pikachu, and to choose a starter, and to go on a Pokemon safari. As long as they can strike that chord, than they'll satisfy the casual fans AND be able to satisfy the hardcore fans, with merchandise of obscure Pokemon and references to different regions.