Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 516 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Could Universal be planning on building back-to-back park lands with Pokemon and Zelda for 2021 and 2022?

Universal has spent the last few years building high-capacity park rides. Next it looks like they are going to finish up the Harry Potter franchise attractions. Throw in a Bourne stunt show and a JP coaster and capacity looks good at the parks.

This would allow for larger areas of the park to be torn up without hurting wait times much. This is where Pokemon and Zelda come in. Neither is likely to go in the new park with SNW already going in there. Pokemon could be ready in 20 21. Perfect timing against Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary. Assuming Zelda goes in Lost Continent it would probably wait until the Potter coaster is done. That would mean a 2019 starts ready in 2022.

If Universal is to make full use of the license Nintendo IPs will likely go in all parks. Universal is countering Star Wars with Harry Potter. The 50th anniversary and the year before the Park opening I would think we'll have some spectacular projects to prevent attendance decline. These would seem to do the job.

Could Universal be planning on building back-to-back park lands with Pokemon and Zelda for 2021 and 2022?

Universal has spent the last few years building high-capacity park rides. Next it looks like they are going to finish up the Harry Potter franchise attractions. Throw in a Bourne stunt show and a JP coaster and capacity looks good at the parks.

This would allow for larger areas of the park to be torn up without hurting wait times much. This is where Pokemon and Zelda come in. Neither is likely to go in the new park with SNW already going in there. Pokemon could be ready in 20 21. Perfect timing against Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary. Assuming Zelda goes in Lost Continent it would probably wait until the Potter coaster is done. That would mean a 2019 starts ready in 2022.

If Universal is to make full use of the license Nintendo IPs will likely go in all parks. Universal is countering Star Wars with Harry Potter. The 50th anniversary and the year before the Park opening I would think we'll have some spectacular projects to prevent attendance decline. These would seem to do the job.
I'm not sure I completely follow the capacity argument - you would be required to close down large areas of the parks within the next year, but most of attractions cited as providing replacement capacity are still 1-2 years away, at minimum.

That being said, they certainly could be planning on building Pokemon and Zelda lands for 2021 and 2022.

But if they do, then I would say there is basically a zero percent chance of the new park opening in 2022 or 2023.

Maybe it's not Universal but Nintendo that slows this process down. I expect Ninty wants to incorporate gaming elements into the rides and queues and if possible with enough shallowness and depth to satisfy non- and hard-core gamers and everyone in between. That wouldn't be a bad thing but Nintendo is notoriously slow in developing games.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
Maybe it's not Universal but Nintendo that slows this process down. I expect Ninty wants to incorporate gaming elements into the rides and queues and if possible with enough shallowness and depth to satisfy non- and hard-core gamers and everyone in between. That wouldn't be a bad thing but Nintendo is notoriously slow in developing games.

Nah. USJ is more or less on schedule.

Our “delay” is all Uni

Nah. USJ is more or less on schedule.

Our “delay” is all Uni

Also, and I might be mistaken, but I remember that Miyamoto may of said in an interview of wanting the lands to be something you can experience and not play games in. But, I could be wrong about that one..

Reactions: Mike S
I think the rides will be surprisingly light on interactivity
Universal Orlando Close Up | BREAKING: News About the Nintendo and Universal Partnership
Some quotes "These will be expansive, immersive and interactive.", "There will be something for everyone—regardless of their age or gaming experience level."
The video in the blog post also talks about interactivity quite a bit.
I don't believe there will be a lot (or any) screen games but the land (at least to my understanding) will have a ton of game like element in them that likely will have some serous programming behind them.
That they are building the outer shell in Japan doesn't necessarily means the interactive parts are done.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Universal Orlando Close Up | BREAKING: News About the Nintendo and Universal Partnership
Some quotes "These will be expansive, immersive and interactive.", "There will be something for everyone—regardless of their age or gaming experience level."
I don't believe there will be a lot (or any) screen games but the land (at least to my understanding) will have a ton of game like element in them that likely will have some serous programming behind them.
That they are building the outer shell in Japan doesn't necessarily means the interactive parts are done.

The land will be interactive, yes, but not in a “gaming” sense. The rides will have surprisingly little interactivity.

Yes, the land will be highly interactive. Mario Kart will have some interactivity. There will be characters that talk to you in the queue for Donkey Kong. And while I haven’t heard of any interactivity for Yoshi, it wouldn’t surprise me if there was something that you can interact with.

The land will be interactive, yes, but not in a “gaming” sense. The rides will have surprisingly little interactivity.
Rather than screens the experience put you in the video games. That’s why you can punch bricks and collect coins around the land.

I did hear VR goggles may be one of the interactive play areas and AR viewfinders will be seen around the land to add elements when you look at the world through them. Not screen based stations though.

Yes, the land will be highly interactive. Mario Kart will have some interactivity. There will be characters that talk to you in the queue for Donkey Kong. And while I haven’t heard of any interactivity for Yoshi, it wouldn’t surprise me if there was something that you can interact with.
CRANKY AND FUNKY PLEASE!!! :clap:
Rather than screens the experience put you in the video games. That’s why you can punch bricks and collect coins around the land.

I did hear VR goggles may be one of the interactive play areas and AR viewfinders will be seen around the land to add elements when you look at the world through them. Not screen based stations though.
Just a guess.
3862491a.png

Since you’re back have you heard anything about this @Andy? KidZone, third park, whole park, etc.?

I wouldnt say im back.. Or i ever left lol. But to answer your question here is my guess. And mind you these are not things I’ve heard but rather things I think make sense.

I think Universal is looking at HP and saying we could of went bigger orignally. And now with Nintendo theyre doing just that. You dont have all these plans, permits, concept art etc surface and then nothing happen. Imo i think theyre working on a way to bring Nintendo to both Studios and IOA as well as the new park.

Mario imo will be the face of the new park and Super Mario world will go there. It just makes sense that way since IOA nor Studios with their current IP line up and tremedendous growth need Mario. The new park however needs that MEGA HYPE type IP to lure guests in and Mario is just the character to make that happen. So yeah i think Gate X will get Super Mario World.

Now i think the real question is what happens to Kidszone and what gets replaced in IOA. Kidszone has to go, and they know it. But you need a major IP that will pull families in since your gutting a kids focused area. So does that mean Trolls? HTTYD or Dreamworks mash up? Or another Nintendo property such as Pokemon or Donkey Kong? Personally i think any of these work cause they imo have to be family focused and kid friendly.

As for IOA and what happens there thats tough. It will be interesting to see which land goes in favor of a new IP. You can eliminate the obvious Potter, JP, and Marvel. Then Seuss is imo safe with new Illumination seuss stories hitting theaters starting later this year. So that leaves Toon and LC. I know many say Toon but i personally think Toon is safe. Those water rides pull in massive crowds for the Peak spring break and Summer seasons Some may say yeah but in Jan and Feb theyre useless. While true, the park isnt really in need of those attractions pull and capacity during those times. Another clue those water rides still pull in more crowds than Sinbad or PF even on the least attended days.

So my guess is LC is the land they target in the future for expansion. Now if theyre trying to bring Nintendo to every park including IOA i think the only logical option is Zelda. I mean id poop if a Zelda land was coming, but id also lose my mind if HTTYD replaced LC. Its easy to associate those IPs too cause they have the same sort of feel imo.

I wouldnt say im back.. Or i ever left lol. But to answer your question here is my guess. And mind you these are not things I’ve heard but rather things I think make sense.

I think Universal is looking at HP and saying we could of went bigger orignally. And now with Nintendo theyre doing just that. You dont have all these plans, permits, concept art etc surface and then nothing happen. Imo i think theyre working on a way to bring Nintendo to both Studios and IOA as well as the new park.

Mario imo will be the face of the new park and Super Mario world will go there. It just makes sense that way since IOA nor Studios with their current IP line up and tremedendous growth need Mario. The new park however needs that MEGA HYPE type IP to lure guests in and Mario is just the character to make that happen. So yeah i think Gate X will get Super Mario World.

Now i think the real question is what happens to Kidszone and what gets replaced in IOA. Kidszone has to go, and they know it. But you need a major IP that will pull families in since your gutting a kids focused area. So does that mean Trolls? HTTYD or Dreamworks mash up? Or another Nintendo property such as Pokemon or Donkey Kong? Personally i think any of these work cause they imo have to be family focused and kid friendly.

As for IOA and what happens there thats tough. It will be interesting to see which land goes in favor of a new IP. You can eliminate the obvious Potter, JP, and Marvel. Then Seuss is imo safe with new Illumination seuss stories hitting theaters starting later this year. So that leaves Toon and LC. I know many say Toon but i personally think Toon is safe. Those water rides pull in massive crowds for the Peak spring break and Summer seasons Some may say yeah but in Jan and Feb theyre useless. While true, the park isnt really in need of those attractions pull and capacity during those times. Another clue those water rides still pull in more crowds than Sinbad or PF even on the least attended days.

So my guess is LC is the land they target in the future for expansion. Now if theyre trying to bring Nintendo to every park including IOA i think the only logical option is Zelda. I mean id poop if a Zelda land was coming, but id also lose my mind if HTTYD replaced LC. Its easy to associate those IPs too cause they have the same sort of feel imo.
So you’re in the dark as much as the rest of us basically.

Isn’t Donkey Kong going with Mario though?

Reactions: Andysol
So you’re in the dark as much as the rest of us basically.

Isn’t Donkey Kong going with Mario though?
It wouldn’t have to. Unlike Yoshi, its design was never intertwined with the land, just next to it with an entrance path under a bridge.

That’s how it would be so easy to leave it out for Japan for example.

Pokemon for USF
Zelda for IOA
Mario and Kong (Donkey) for New Park

Seems like a plan