Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 306 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As been talked about here. This art was pitch art and not really for Japan as its saying. Japan will be getting MK, but I don't think they will be getting DK and no one is getting Zelda at this point. All the site did was write some random tidbits about the art without any real info.

Reactions: Mike S
I wonder if Zelda was taken out after Breath of the Wild got a lot of great ratings and apparently sold a lot of copies or if that was too recent of a thing to have mattered.

I think it got "taken out" because Universal finally realized how popular the Nintendo stuff was going to be and they plan on taking full advantage of it. Why shove Zelda into a corner when it can be its own land? Plus, removing it makes the Mario land that much bigger.

Reactions: Mike S and Blue
My biggest problem with "Donkey Kong is a definite for Orlando" is where is it in the video? All three sides of that U-shaped land are Super Mario related. Donkey Kong is jungle-themed, which is seen all over the treehouse concept art. That art and the official video do not match up.

I've done the logistics and the USJ parking lot where they are building this fits almost perfectly into the KidZone area. It's actually kind of scary because the diagonal border it shares with Hogsmeade matches almost perfectly with the ET building. Which is great for Universal, but it doesn't leave room for that treehouse and a coaster.

Some of the rumors say Japan is only getting TWO rides. I think that has to be right because that parking lot is NOT huge. Being generous, it's about 200,000 square feet. The Gringotts ride building is about 85,000sf. The Mummy - minus the facade - is about 65,000sf. ET is about 56,000sf. Even smaller rides like Spider-Man take up about 50,000sf. (I didn't measure Forbidden Journey because I'm not really sure what's ride building and what's other stuff.) Three smallish ride buildings would take up 75% of the land here, and that doesn't include all the facades or the restaurants or the restrooms or the shops. (They're probably going to build something similar to Fast Food Blvd between the two ride buildings and the one in Florida takes up around 20,000sf of space. The two-story one in Hollywood takes up less space, but it's hard to know how much less as it shares kitchen space with Hogsmeade. It's somewhere close to 15,000sf.)

Seeing the concept art for MK, I'm thinking speed isn't going to be a major factor for the ride, so it probably can sit on 50,000sf or so. (If you pause the concept art video right before it ends, you can see the diagonal Hogsmeade border. In the original concept art, they made this look like a bridge and it shows people going under it, like it was leading elsewhere. It's probably just going to be the main gift shop for the area, something that isn't exciting to show in concept art. If so, that means the Mario Kart ride building can be about 275 feet long, which takes it to that diagonal. At 175-feet-wide, we're right about at that 50K mark. And it can't really go too much wider than that because the whole area is only about 425 feet at its widest. That courtyard has to be around 100 feet wide if they're going to plop an island down into the middle of it.) I suppose they can build two rides on top of each other in the other ride building, but I don't think they will. That's just too expensive, and the rides that would fit in those spaces would be C-Tickets, at best. So that's two rides for Japan, unless they throw a flat ride onto that island.

Even though that plot of land plops down perfectly into USF, it doesn't mean they can't expand it easily. If they remove the Animal Actors show (Why haven't they moved this thing over to IOA's usually-empty theater?), then they can build the Donkey Kong miniland here. An alternative would be to move the U-shaped area back towards the empty area on the other side of The Simpsons Ride a little, which would open up the area that already has a coaster and a play area (Is there a reason the art coincidentally shows both of these?). This, of course, blows my Nintendo Store out of the water, as it would then become an actual bridge, but it could easily be moved to be the berm between DK Country and the ET esplanade. (Having a Donkey Kong miniland makes the plan work for USH as well. The area behind Transformers - an oddly-placed plot of land - could easily become the DK Country miniland.)

Personally, if the coaster isn't spectacular, I wish they'd just make Kirby host the kiddie area and plop Donkey Kong into Toon Lagoon. The flume needs some desperate theme work on it. And the rapids ride would be great with the rafts themed to barrels. But I think we're going to get Dreamworks overlays instead...

They probably didn't show Donkey Kong Country in the teaser for Osaka SNW because that version won't have the DKC area.

As for Orlando...
giphy.gif

My biggest problem with "Donkey Kong is a definite for Orlando" is where is it in the video? All three sides of that U-shaped land are Super Mario related. Donkey Kong is jungle-themed, which is seen all over the treehouse concept art. That art and the official video do not match up.

To sum things up very easily...

- That video is for Osaka, and of the 3 main rides that are being dicussed, Osaka is only getting the Mario Kart ride, and the Yoshi ride. That's why you don't see the DK coaster in the Osaka video.

- With Orlando, the only thing that's unknown about KidZone is whether E.T. will remain open, or close and be incorperated into the land. What we do know is everything else in KidZone (Animal Actors, Barney, Fivel, Curious George and Woody Woodpecker) WILL be removed for SNW.

- Also, a very important note about concept art. Concept art does not equal final product, often times it's just proof of concept/something to show people/investors the general idea of what it may look like. Also as it's been mentioned multiple times, that concept art is old/outdated. So it wouldn't be the best idea trying to connect it with a current video which is just showing a general idea of things, since it's certainly not going to match up.

Last edited:
<!--Can't find substitution for tag [blog.Disneyandmore]-->

I found the concept art for the Super Nintendo World layout in Orlando to be fascinating. If we get all of that, SNW would surpass just about every version of Fantasyland except California's in quality/quantity. It would take a huge chunk of the family audience from Disney World.

How much of it is supposed to happen?

An E-ticket dark ride, D-ticket coaster, 3 flat rides, 2 shows (Zelda and Pokémon) and 3 play areas sounds extremely ambitious if they're going to keep/update E.T. and leave most, if not all, the MIB/Springfield expansion pad in tact. Unless they get rid of E.T., I don't see how they'll fit everything they're planning.

Or maybe we'll get all in the concept art AND a Yoshi dark ride to replace E.T. :stun:

Reactions: Andysol
The concept art is really old. The more current rumors haven't talked about any flat rides or play areas. I'm not convinced the leaked concept art will have much resemblance to reality later on.

Now, if Universal would just release something official for Nintendo @ Orlando...

<!--Can't find substitution for tag [blog.Disneyandmore]-->

I found the concept art for the Super Nintendo World layout in Orlando to be fascinating. If we get all of that, SNW would surpass just about every version of Fantasyland except California's in quality/quantity. It would take a huge chunk of the family audience from Disney World.

How much of it is supposed to happen?

An E-ticket dark ride, D-ticket coaster, 3 flat rides, 2 shows (Zelda and Pokémon) and 3 play areas sounds extremely ambitious if they're going to keep/update E.T. and leave most, if not all, the MIB/Springfield expansion pad in tact. Unless they get rid of E.T., I don't see how they'll fit everything they're planning.

Or maybe we'll get all in the concept art AND a Yoshi dark ride to replace E.T. :stun:

It's been said that the stuff in that article is outdated and isn't accurate to the actual version.

A carousel and tea cups would round out the line up quit nicely. Those two ride systems along with spinners like Kang and Kodo's seem to be acceptable flats for inclusion in top shelf theme parks.
And they add great kinetic energy to an area.

In the end I think every ride that goes into Osaka will be seen in the other parks. it's much cheaper to produce themed elements and rides tri fold than one offs.

Reactions: Andysol
Unless they get rid of E.T., I don't see how they'll fit everything they're planning.
Remember that the reason they could fit so much into so little was because it was vertical construction. They were also pulling from an expansion pad back where Zelda was.
It was all made to scale and would have fit just fine.

In my dream of dreams- all of that stays with the exception of the pokemon interactive area (and replace with another interactive mario-world character), and the entire Zelda area- which would become a yoshi attraction taking up all the land with it's entrance right there at the front close to MarioKart.

But the play areas, splash area, interactive stuff and heaploads of flats would remain. That would bring so much energy and fun to SNW it'd be off the charts contagious.

A guy can dream...

I think the play areas and a couple of the flat rides remain. Kirby gets switched to yoshi, yoshi also replaces zelda, and pokemon is not in the land at all. They add a few restaurants replacing pokemon and the bullet bill ride. A bullet bill ride makes no sense because it would be pretty much the same thing as the seuss trolley. Not a word on my spelling.

Reactions: Mike S and Alicia
I think the play areas and a couple of the flat rides remain. Kirby gets switched to yoshi, yoshi also replaces zelda, and pokemon is not in the land at all. They add a few restaurants replacing pokemon and the bullet bill ride. A bullet bill ride makes no sense because it would be pretty much the same thing as the seuss trolley. Not a word on my spelling.
Yea, with all the play areas they're removing I expect we'll see at least two come back in, one for little kids and one for kids kids.