Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nintendo Switch

Here is what it says on the hardware:

Item Hardware Specifications Functionality Available From the Application
CPU
Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, maximum 2 GHz

L2 cache, 2 MB

64-bit ARMv8

Crypto extension enabled

Three cores

(The clock count is TBD.)

GPU
NVIDIA second-generation Maxwell architecture

256 CUDA cores, maximum 1 GHz

1024 FLOPS/cycle

Texture: 16 pixels/cycle

Fill: 14.4 pixels/cycle

TBD
Video Decoder
H.265 (3840×2160 60 fps)

H.264 (3840×2160 60 fps)

VP9 (3840×2160 60 fps)

VP8 (3840×2160 60 fps)

MPEG4 (1920×1080 120 fps)

MPEG2 (3840×2160 60 fps)

Supports only H.264, VP9 and VP8.

Main memory
Capacity of 4 GB

Bandwidth: 25.6 GB/s

VRAM: shared

Capacity of 3.25 GB

(TBD. The current capacity should be ultimately available.)

System Memory Capacity: 32 GB, Maximum transfer rate: 400 MB/s
Used as a location for saving save data.

(Also the location to which applications are installed.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike, can't post the entire thing, as basically the 3 files you posted are e-books encoded in html, hence why they are zip files, they contain a bunch of different files which are elements of the ebook, so you can't just use the html file by itself.
If 3.25 GB of RAM is what's available for games that's not too far off the PS4 and XB1. It's not the same either but it's good.

Whilst these are pretty good, I'd still take it with a pinch of salt.

In other news I don't know if the game "Snake Pass" has been mentioned yet but it looks really fun! From Sumo and it was ported to the Switch in approximately a week. It's expected to release in Q1 which funnily enough ends in March, so it's looking like a launch month game...

PS4 Trailer

Nintendo Switch Gameplay/Developer Stream

Last edited:
I don't know how this has went over my head but I've just stumbled across this, quite frankly, stunning Nintendo Switch exclusive! Again sorry if this has been brought up already but wow, if this is how the final game looks then colour me impressed...

IMG_4049.JPG

I don't know how this has went over my head but I've just stumbled across this, quite frankly, stunning Nintendo Switch exclusive! Again sorry if this has been brought up already but wow, if this is how the final game looks then colour me impressed...

View attachment 3638

The trailer is deceiving as it's on PC. I think they didn't even have a Switch dev kit at the time.

Watching Bob's Burgers on Adult Swim and it's a commercial break when I hear that all too familiar "click." I snap my head to the TV to see the Nintendo Switch Super Bowl ad playing live on my TV once again.

SO FREAKIN' HYPED!!!!!! :whoo:

If 3.25 GB of RAM is what's available for games that's not too far off the PS4 and XB1. It's not the same either but it's good.
It is shared though between CPU and GPU, but then consoles tend to be more efficient in memory management than PCs. The specs don't look super good, but they are definitely good enough it seems. In the past I used to play games on the very cheap Geforce 520 and it worked pretty good for older games. As for the Switch, I think it should have no problem with medium settings. I think a lot of money went in the joy-con controllers, I hope they will be good to use, they seem interesting.

Currently my main PC has the EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Ti FTW edition which was one of the first Maxwell cards I think, and I am very happy with it, of course, the Switch won't get close to the performance of this card.

Last edited:
It is shared though between CPU and GPU, but then consoles tend to be more efficient in memory management than PCs. The specs don't look super good, but they are definitely good enough it seems. In the past I used to play games on the very cheap Geforce 520 and it worked pretty good for older games. As for the Switch, I think it should have no problem with medium settings. I think a lot of money went in the joy-con controllers, I hope they will be good to use, they seem interesting.

Currently my main PC has the EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Ti FTW edition which was one of the first Maxwell cards I think, and I am very happy with it, of course, the Switch won't get close to the performance of this card.
An interesting story about Unreal Engine 4 on the Switch that I remember reading.
Nintendo Switch hits High 1080p Unreal Engine 4 preset

We have another launch month title in the form of the previously mentioned Snake Pass...

Snake Pass with be available for download on all platforms on March 29!

FIFA 18 has been shown off in a new trailer and it looks fairly decent!

Not to mention EA's promise of exclusive Switch features seems to subtly shown here with two people playing on two different systems in the trailer...

An interesting story about Unreal Engine 4 on the Switch that I remember reading.
Nintendo Switch hits High 1080p Unreal Engine 4 preset
The GPU clock is a little low though, so the biggest concern may be framrate. But well, there is so much in graphics that can be tinkered with, and if a game is too demanding, they can always just lower the resolution to 720. I wonder though if graphic intensive games might end up looking bad when being played in portable mode.

The GPU clock is a little low though, so the biggest concern may be framrate. But well, there is so much in graphics that can be tinkered with, and if a game is too demanding, they can always just lower the resolution to 720. I wonder though if graphic intensive games might end up looking bad when being played in portable mode.
From what I've been reading about the subject it seems like the PS4/XB1 run UE4 at high settings while Switch could be compared to medium settings. Frankly that's enough for me considering it's portable and a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make.