Nintendo Switch | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Switch

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I love it! I can't wait to find out more details but I'm already very interested. There's obviously some worries, but I think it'll work out and be a definite improvement over the Wii U.

Reactions: Mike S
Reaching 4 million views and #1 trending on YouTube. I think it's safe to say they nailed the reveal.

Now they just need to nail the release, the games, and marketing.

Reactions: DoubleJ
this may turn into a mixed bag though.If this is suppose to be an all around game system then does that mean Nintendo will stop making new handhelds.

this may turn into a mixed bag though.If this is suppose to be an all around game system then does that mean Nintendo will stop making new handhelds.
Well, yes. But do you know what that means?
HD Pokémon
on your TV
boom
system seller

So from what it seems I guess on First and Third party so-far within the first months of the console..

First Party:

Zelda Open World
Mario 3D Platformer
Mario Kart (either potential Wii U port with new additions or MK9)
Splatoon (Same goes like MK from what it potentially seems, Wii U port with new additions or Spla2oon)
GameFreak developed Pokémon title (not announced yet)

Third Party:
Skyrim (unknown if it'll be the new version or if it'll be basically the GOTY edition but I would think that it's the Remastered version)
NBA 2K17
Dragon Quest (as rumored for a while)

And there's still potentially more when it comes to third parties because of that mega list of third parties. I wonder if KH3 will make it's way to the Switch as the KH series isn't foreign to Nintendo from all the handheld titles released on Nintendo consoles, and that with Telltale Games; I can see TWD, the Marvel project and potentially other's come onto the Switch. Then there lies EA, Activision, Capcom, From Software, ATLUS, Epic Games, Konami and Take Two which I am very curious about more than anything in third parties..

And then there lies those Beyond Good and Evil rumors which would be interesting if true, that it'd be exclusive to the Switch but who knows at this point. It'd definitely be a big selling point to the Switch if marketed correctly

Another thing I am wondering is this. With the console having cartridges instead of disks, I would wonder if they may have backwards compatibility with the 3DS/DS games because if that's the case, alongside the unlocking of region games; it'd make the console a slam-dunk money maker.

Reactions: Mike S
Is Nintendo halting production on the 3DS or are they still gonna come out with exclusives for that? I don't own it but I always debated getting it for the exclusives.

I like what I see so far. I don't even know how much I'll use the portable part of it. But it's a neat concept.

So from what it seems I guess on First and Third party so-far within the first months of the console..

First Party:

Zelda Open World
Mario 3D Platformer
Mario Kart (either potential Wii U port with new additions or MK9)
Splatoon (Same goes like MK from what it potentially seems, Wii U port with new additions or Spla2oon)
GameFreak developed Pokémon title (not announced yet)

Third Party:
Skyrim (unknown if it'll be the new version or if it'll be basically the GOTY edition but I would think that it's the Remastered version)
NBA 2K17
Dragon Quest (as rumored for a while)

And there's still potentially more when it comes to third parties because of that mega list of third parties. I wonder if KH3 will make it's way to the Switch as the KH series isn't foreign to Nintendo from all the handheld titles released on Nintendo consoles, and that with Telltale Games; I can see TWD, the Marvel project and potentially other's come onto the Switch. Then there lies EA, Activision, Capcom, From Software, ATLUS, Epic Games, Konami and Take Two which I am very curious about more than anything in third parties..

And then there lies those Beyond Good and Evil rumors which would be interesting if true, that it'd be exclusive to the Switch but who knows at this point. It'd definitely be a big selling point to the Switch if marketed correctly

Another thing I am wondering is this. With the console having cartridges instead of disks, I would wonder if they may have backwards compatibility with the 3DS/DS games because if that's the case, alongside the unlocking of region games; it'd make the console a slam-dunk money maker.
Skyrim and NBA are technically not confirmed yet, amazingly. Or should I say stupidly.
Nintendo Switch trailer shows NBA 2K17 and Skyrim, but they’re not confirmed for release - Polygon
Dragon Quest (X & XI), Just Dance 2017, and Sonic 2017 are pretty much all we have confirmed from third parties.

We're also apparently not getting any more info until next year.

Is Nintendo halting production on the 3DS or are they still gonna come out with exclusives for that? I don't own it but I always debated getting it for the exclusives.

I like what I see so far. I don't even know how much I'll use the portable part of it. But it's a neat concept.
I keep seeing that 3DS will still get support through 2018 but I have to imagine it won't be much. Nintendo might be going full steam ahead with the NS.

I keep seeing that 3DS will still get support through 2018 but I have to imagine it won't be much. Nintendo might be going full steam ahead with the NS.

I thought I saw mention earlier in the year that they were starting to liquidate production of both the 3DS and the Wii U and that shortly after the Switch that those consoles would be let go, but I could be wrong.

I thought I saw mention earlier in the year that they were starting to liquidate production of both the 3DS and the Wii U and that shortly after the Switch that those consoles would be let go, but I could be wrong.
All I've seen is a rumor that Europe will cease Wii U production this year. I think that was last month.

Big hope and prayer is no region locked games. I already had to buy a japanese 3DS just for some games due to them being region locked and I'm hoping that this won't happen with the new system.

Reactions: anihilnation
Reaching 4 million views and #1 trending on YouTube. I think it's safe to say they nailed the reveal.

Now they just need to nail the release, the games, and marketing.
Exactly! Price, titles (particularly third party), and marketing will be absolutely essential to its success.

Price needs to be extremely competitive. Though the cost to build may be high, Nintendo has a reputation for making value-oriented products. Consumers will still buy a PS4 or Xbox One if they price the Switch at the same level as those 2 products. Not to say it has to be cheap, just competitive. Game titles, and third party in particular, need to be strong to generate interest outside of the Nintendo fan base (which is large, hence why the reveal is top trending on YouTube, but it's not 1/10 the potential target audience).

Marketing. This will be absolutely key. There is potential for this product to fall into a hole similar to the Wii U. Not the same hole, but a similar one. Nintendo needs to market this product solely to the gaming audience, and ensure the public doesn't confuse it for a tablet. Also, emphasize the portability and the stationary benefits, that will be sure to appeal to vast swathes of casual gamers.

They nail these, they'll have a hit without a doubt. "Fail to do so and the consequences may be...severe"-Professor Umbridge.

Last edited:
Exactly! Price, titles (particularly third party), and marketing will be absolutely essential to its success.

Price needs to be extremely competitive. Though the cost to build may be high, Nintendo has a reputation for making value-oriented products. Consumers will still buy a PS4 or Xbox One if they price the Switch at the same level as those 2 products. Not to say it has to be cheap, just competitive. Game titles, and third party in particular, need to be strong to generate interest outside of the Nintendo fan base (which is large, hence why the reveal is top trending on YouTube, but it's not 1/10 the potential target audience).

Marketing. This will be absolutely key. There is potential for this product to fall into a hole similar to the Wii U. Not the same hole, but a similar one. Nintendo needs to market this product solely to the gaming audience, and ensure the public doesn't confuse it for a tablet. Also, emphasize the portability and the stationary benefits, that will be sure to appeal to vast swathes of casual gamers.

They nail these, they'll have a hit without a doubt. "Fail to do so and the consequences may be...severe"-Professor Umbridge.
I think this thing is guaranteed to at the very least sell way more than the Wii U. What they really need to do is profit from each unit sold and not sell it at a loss. The GameCube used to be Nintendo's worst selling console but they still profited from that whole generation. This generation Nintendo sold a combined amount of about 75 million Wii U's and 3DS's but both were sold at a loss in the beginning and the 3DS had an $80 price cut pretty early. If Nintendo is able to sell, let's say, 50 million* Switches by the end of its life and they were all sold at a profit I'd consider it a bit of a success. Let's not forget that they're also moving into mobile which will definitely make them some cash and the NES mini coming out next month which generated quite a bit of interest. Then we have their moves into other areas of entertainment like movies and theme parks. What they're doing is clear and pretty smart. They're making it so that they don't have to rely on system sales to make or break them.

*A rough low end estimate.

Reactions: DoubleJ
It is essentially a beefed up tablet that is too big and has a crappy battery life to be a good portable and under powered as a main console. Not that the lack of power stops them from making great games, it just makes other not as likely to want to. It just seems like Nintendo lieks to put themselves in these weird areas. I get that they want to consolidate their portable and home console customers but they could end up driving both away.

It is essentially a beefed up tablet that is too big and has a crappy battery life to be a good portable and under powered as a main console. Not that the lack of power stops them from making great games, it just makes other not as likely to want to. It just seems like Nintendo lieks to put themselves in these weird areas. I get that they want to consolidate their portable and home console customers but they could end up driving both away.
I guess we'll have to wait and see. They've said countless times that they don't want to be in the power race and I think this is the best way they could've gone to go on their own. I'm excited for it and plenty of others are too. If the price is right it could get a lot of people on board.