Nintendo Switch | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Switch

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In my mind, as long as it's powerful enough to play 3rd party games from PS4/Xbox One, that's enough for me.
It's confirmed to run Unreal Engine 4 so that's a good sign it could get most games. I'm starting to think we shouldn't expect any of the huge, sprawling, and technically demanding games though. Maybe Kingdom Hearts 3 but not Final Fantasy for example.

Then again I hope I'm wrong and it can still run those games even if they're just not as pretty.

Reactions: anihilnation
Specs talk is often a little silly, if you want specs then you should get a desktop PC. Anyway, I am somewhat concerned about the Switch specs, but I trust Nvidia as they are better than ATI/AMD and tend to have better drivers. It is also known Nvidia did a lot more than simply supply hardware, as they also were very involved in the software, so most likely the system will be easier to program for than the WiiU was (apparently it was a nightmare to program for WiiU because the software was rather freaky). Anyway, as Mike said, Switch is known to run Unreal 4, so we know it is adequate; only thing that worries me though, is how they will cool it adequately. I still hope the dock has added cooling to enable greater performance.

Reactions: Mike S
I just thought of something that could solve the third party problem.

Before working with Nintendo on the NS NVIDIA had their own line of gaming devices that could stream PC games called SHEILD. They were working on a second one before it was cancelled due to "business reasons" :rolleyes:
NVIDIA SHIELD 2 Tablet has been canceled
What if this deal with Nintendo goes further than simply supplying hardware for the system? What if, maybe through a different dock than the one that comes with the system, you could stream PC games when you're playing at home? That would be one hell of a game changer and would ensure tons of games available on the system from third parties even from day 1.

Of course this is just a thought and unlikely to happen but man would it be cool. It would sure be the kind of thing to put them on an equal playing field as PS4 and XB1.

Edit: after further research I found that it wouldn't work in the way I thought it would. You would need your own PC to stream games from. Oh well.

Last edited:
I just thought of something that could solve the third party problem.

Before working with Nintendo on the NS NVIDIA had their own line of gaming devices that could stream PC games called SHEILD. They were working on a second one before it was cancelled due to "business reasons" :rolleyes:
NVIDIA SHIELD 2 Tablet has been canceled
What if this deal with Nintendo goes further than simply supplying hardware for the system? What if, maybe through a different dock than the one that comes with the system, you could stream PC games when you're playing at home? That would be one hell of a game changer and would ensure tons of games available on the system from third parties even from day 1.

Of course this is just a thought and unlikely to happen but man would it be cool. It would sure be the kind of thing to put them on an equal playing field as PS4 and XB1.

Edit: after further research I found that it wouldn't work in the way I thought it would. You would need your own PC to stream games from. Oh well.
Doesn't xbox have something where you can stream PC games? I know Steam has a device to stream PC games, but yes, of course your PC needs to be on and have proper specs. It would be a nice added bonus if Switch had this though. In any case, I think the way Nvidia is attached to this should motivate third parties.

Doesn't xbox have something where you can stream PC games? I know Steam has a device to stream PC games, but yes, of course your PC needs to be on and have proper specs. It would be a nice added bonus if Switch had this though. In any case, I think the way Nvidia is attached to this should motivate third parties.
Microsoft let's you buy exclusive games digitally once and play them both on your PC and Xbox One with all of your saved data and junk. It's called "Xbox Play Anywhere" which is very funny considering what the Switch is, lol.

Reactions: anihilnation
At least we have a firm date this time. I'm guessing this is when we'll get all the details we want since it's just 2 months from launch.

I'll take a crack on that's when they'll do it like how Smash had it's own Directs to where everything is on the Switch, what it has at the first six months and beyond, the price, and the date..

Cell phone games have abandoned upfront prices and package experiences, but people are less likely to carry a handheld plus cell phone. The Wii was successful because it defined the casual gaming market. The Wii U tried to capture part of that market which was already lost to the cell phone and failed. I think this is going to rule the more serious gamer on the go who has been left behind by the cell phone market/ console gamer that didnt game seriously on the go. I know I will pre order. I'm so tired of having nothing but the occasional remake/emulators for android to play.

Weird they announced this event so far in advance, maybe to calm investors?
Probably, especially since the 'reveal' created more questions than it answered, basically, all it did was confirm the main rumors. I wonder if 3rd parties will announce stuff before the direct, or if Nintendo is asking them to be quiet. My biggest hope is that the Tegra chip is brand new one, if so the Switch should be more powerful than XB1. Apparently Switch will have a bunch of accessories. I am not sure what this means, I know some hope for VR and though Nintendo does not seem to like the idea very much, they did patent some supplemental performance device once, so who knows maybe we will see something to add more power. Or instead of VR, could we rather have a 3D add-on? After all, there are devices already you can add to any HDMI device to get it to play in 3D, though it does use stereoscopic red/blue method. Also, since this will be the first time that there is no physical backwards compatibility, will there be a whole new virtual console? It is a little odd they are still being so secretive, but well, this is Nintendo. And who knows, with a bit of luck this will be a massive Direct which also will talk about the themeparks.

Cell phone games have abandoned upfront prices and package experiences, but people are less likely to carry a handheld plus cell phone. The Wii was successful because it defined the casual gaming market. The Wii U tried to capture part of that market which was already lost to the cell phone and failed. I think this is going to rule the more serious gamer on the go who has been left behind by the cell phone market/ console gamer that didnt game seriously on the go. I know I will pre order. I'm so tired of having nothing but the occasional remake/emulators for android to play.
I'm skeptical of how successful it will be if it can't play many new Xbox One and/or PS4 games and/or Steam/PC games. If it starts to seem successful, Microsoft and/or Sony could partner up with a tablet manufacturer and make a good price for people to stream games to a tablet and possibly improve either companies' current streaming abilities.
How much do you think Nintendo's placement in the parks in the future is dependent on the sales of this console and their future games? I could see Mario still getting significant placement in the park, but I don't know about some of Nintendo's other games and characters. I guess it could also possibly depend on if movies based on Nintendo things are made and their reception.

I'm skeptical of how successful it will be if it can't play many new Xbox One and/or PS4 games and/or Steam/PC games. If it starts to seem successful, Microsoft and/or Sony could partner up with a tablet manufacturer and make a good price for people to stream games to a tablet and possibly improve either companies' current streaming abilities.
How much do you think Nintendo's placement in the parks in the future is dependent on the sales of this console and their future games? I could see Mario still getting significant placement in the park, but I don't know about some of Nintendo's other games and characters. I guess it could also possibly depend on if movies based on Nintendo things are made and their reception.
I think Microsoft already does something like that especially now that Xbox One exclusives are coming to PC.

Specs absolutely matter by the way. Games are ridiculously expensive and complicated anymore. Companies need to spread the cost over the widest market possible. If this could somehow match the performance of PS4 and Xbone/use the same engine it will get support from third parties since porting will be easy. Of course when the next non Nintendo consoles come out that support will die fast unless this is the number one system over the other two combined. Back when Wii was dominant developers basically were making entire seprarate versions of games but when WiiU had no buyers, they ignored it.

Specs absolutely matter by the way. Games are ridiculously expensive and complicated anymore. Companies need to spread the cost over the widest market possible. If this could somehow match the performance of PS4 and Xbone/use the same engine it will get support from third parties since porting will be easy. Of course when the next non Nintendo consoles come out that support will die fast unless this is the number one system over the other two combined. Back when Wii was dominant developers basically were making entire seprarate versions of games but when WiiU had no buyers, they ignored it.
It is able to run Unreal Engine 4 so that's something. I'd expect sports games, CoD, and other not as demanding games to be the extent of the Switch's western third party support. Don't expect something like RDR 2. Japan however will love it. I think the main Final Fantasy games are the only things that really push for incredibly realistic graphics like western studios do but I could be wrong. I see no problem with maybe Kingdom Hearts III coming to it especially since it uses UE4.

Does anyone know which is going to be the preferred version of Zelda? I never got a WiiU so I'll essentially be buying a very expensive game either way.

Does anyone know which is going to be the preferred version of Zelda? I never got a WiiU so I'll essentially be buying a very expensive game either way.
I wouldn't buy a Wii U just for one game, especially when support for the system is basically already at an end. If you're going to buy a new system to play Zelda, may as well go for the Switch. At least it has the potential for more great games in the future. Zelda will basically be Wii U's swan song.

Reactions: awhen and Mike S