Official Soccer Thread | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Official Soccer Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
England are horrendous. Most overrated, overhyped, lazy, uninspired team in a long time.

Hodgson had no idea what he was doing either.
Yet he was apparently the highest paid lol.

It is interesting though, England has one of the best leagues of the world yet does not perform like that as a country; with Belgium -for instance- it is the opposite, league is not too fabulous, but as a country they play great.

I only saw the one Spain game yesterday, but I find Spain rather uninspired as well these days. Italy keeps on looking dangerous, they really keep things together, and of course Buffon is a great keeper.

Chemistry is important in putting together a team. Having the best players does not always translate into winning. A balanced roster & the mental aspect of team are essential components. And that's where it gets tricky.

Reactions: anihilnation
Chemistry is important in putting together a team. Having the best players does not always translate into winning. A balanced roster & the mental aspect of team are essential components. And that's where it gets tricky.
Heard that with a lot of top clubs, half the coach's job is managing the players egos.

Reactions: Mad Dog
It is interesting though, England has one of the best leagues of the world yet does not perform like that as a country; with Belgium -for instance- it is the opposite, league is not too fabulous, but as a country they play great.
The EPL is a very competitive and entertaining league, but the majority of the star players aren't English. There's too much of a reliance on foreign talent (Ozil, Aguero, Silva, Sanchez, Hazard) and that's all down to money.

English football needs rethinking from the ground up to promote and develop our own players. Otherwise we'll continue to suck.

Reactions: anihilnation
The problem with England is that there's no team spirit, hasn't been for a long time. Selection is another problem, if you're English & play for one of the big clubs then you're almost certain to be in the England squad. There's too many egos, and players hang on for too long. Rooney should never even have been in the squad, he's been poor all season (when he's played) but because he's the captain he's ever present. Vardy & Kane were only there because Leicester & Spurs had good seasons. A player from the bottom half could be on fire but he'd not get picked.

Vardy & Kane were only there because Leicester & Spurs had good seasons. A player from the bottom half could be on fire but he'd not get picked.
I mean, Vardy and Kane were the among the top three scorers in the EPL, so yeah I think they justified their selection :lol:

But I will agree with you regarding bottom half players. Andros Townsend was in great form to close out the season and would have provided some much needed natural width to the team. Instead, Hodgson took Sterling who couldn't even get in the City team toward end of season.

I mean, Vardy and Kane were the among the top three scorers in the EPL, so yeah I think they justified their selection :lol:

But I will agree with you regarding bottom half players. Andros Townsend was in great form to close out the season and would have provided some much needed natural width to the team. Instead, Hodgson took Sterling who couldn't even get in the City team toward end of season.
That's what I meant about Vardy & Kane. If Spurs and Leicester hadn't had good seasons then top scorers or not, they'd have been left out

That's what I meant about Vardy & Kane. If Spurs and Leicester hadn't had good seasons then top scorers or not, they'd have been left out
Disagree entirely. You don't leave two of the top scorers in EPL at home when they're English, regardless of how their teams performed. That's just stupid.

Obviously this is all hypothetical. Who knows how many goals they would have scored if Leicester and Spurs were mid-table teams?

The EPL is a very competitive and entertaining league, but the majority of the star players aren't English. There's too much of a reliance on foreign talent (Ozil, Aguero, Silva, Sanchez, Hazard) and that's all down to money.

English football needs rethinking from the ground up to promote and develop our own players. Otherwise we'll continue to suck.

It's a good thing those immigrants won't be stealing our jobs any more. :bonk:

Reactions: Mad Dog
Disagree entirely. You don't leave two of the top scorers in EPL at home when they're English, regardless of how their teams performed. That's just stupid.

Obviously this is all hypothetical. Who knows how many goals they would have scored if Leicester and Spurs were mid-table teams?
You're missing my point lol
I'm not saying they should have been, I'm saying they would have been.
The selection has been the same for years, unless you're playing for a top team you don't get selected