Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Official Soccer Thread

I guess the Welsh really were not prepared for a different England in the second half,often happens, you have played half a game with a strategy and were successful, then suddenly in the second half the opposing team plays different and you can't cope.
Can't be stubborn with strategy. Teams need to make adjustments on the fly.

The Welsh strategy was to contain
It worked until England played 5 strikers who would swamp the midfield and the only "defence" against that is to go on the attack. Hard to do when you're under the cosh, but it is the best thing you can do. Or, as we did, you can put your bodies on the line and just try and block everything and defend, but that's hard to do for that period of time, another minute is all they needed.

The Welsh strategy was to contain
It worked until England played 5 strikers who would swamp the midfield and the only "defence" against that is to go on the attack. Hard to do when you're under the cosh, but it is the best thing you can do. Or, as we did, you can put your bodies on the line and just try and block everything and defend, but that's hard to do for that period of time, another minute is all they needed.
I've always been a believer in the best defense is a good offense. Just a personal thing. Well, their strategy nearly worked. In hindsight, if England wouldn't have scored we'd be praising the defensive shell strategy...I guess that's one of the things that makes football a great game. There's a ton of different philosophies of how to play. Quite often, a team is limited by the types of talents and make up of their roster.

Phew, got there in the end. Well done England but well played the Welsh.

For me England have now dominated two matched they've played but for all that domination they are showing little in front of goal. With the amount of talent we have up front they should be creating many more chances than they have with that amount of possession. The substitutes made all the difference in the end and I think Kane may well lose his place to Vardy in the final group match, the young but talented Rashford came on later in the half and played without fear, he could play a big part if England go through into the knockout stages.

Exactly, we've always been hamstrung by having perhaps one world class player at a time. We still do, but this time he's surrounded by players who aren't that far off world class. In the past the likes of Ian Rush or Ryan giggs only had one or of that calibre of player in the team with the rest being second or third division players

Vardy didn't look that good TBH, yes he scored but the goal was so close to being offside. He looked lazy and should have tried to track back. As it is he lazily stayed forward and the pass brushed a Welshman thus playing him onside

Sterling was the worst player in an England shirt today, giving away possession with every touch. It's not like he's been on good form this year either, God knows why he was starting ahead of others. He's massively overrated, no end result and I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a benchwarmer once Guardiola gets to Man City.

My very day in Orlando will be old firm day. Saturday 10th September at 3pm (10am EST). Will need to try and find a pub now and convince the wife it's a good idea.

Sterling was the worst player in an England shirt today, giving away possession with every touch. It's not like he's been on good form this year either, God knows why he was starting ahead of others. He's massively overrated, no end result and I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a benchwarmer once Guardiola gets to Man City.
Criminal that he's in that squad over Townsend considering both players' form toward end of season.

My very day in Orlando will be old firm day. Saturday 10th September at 3pm (10am EST). Will need to try and find a pub now and convince the wife it's a good idea.

I am very confident that if you ask at Grill Brew, they will be able to find it and put it on at a TV of your choosing. I did this for every Liverpool game that was on last time I was there, they're very accommodating :)

I'd be surprised if this wasn't brought forward to a 12pm (7am EST) kick off for TV or moved to the Sunday.

Sterling has never been as good as he thought he was.
Liverpool were bringing him along at the right speed, trying to build up his body so that he could compete with premier league defenders, but the big money grabbed his attention and, as you say, he'll end up as a benchwarmer at city, the same as so many before him.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't brought forward to a 12pm (7am EST) kick off for TV or moved to the Sunday.
I'll be amazed if it isn't moved to the Sunday at 12 like every other old firm game in the past 5 or so years.

NBC Bar & Grill will have it on
My concern would be if it's moved to an earlier time, it won't be open then.

Worst case scenario, I'll watch it in my room or at the bar in the hotel while the misses goes to the pool.

Finally Belgium has played outstanding, 3-0 win versus Ireland!

Big improvement today, actually looked hungry for it.

I'm just watching Portugal. Man, I'll never 'like' Ronaldo, but that smile and that arrogance is what every top striker should have. People argue the toss over who is better between him and Messi, but whereas Messi has a team that plays around him for his strengths, Ronaldo can change a game on his own. A phenomenal player.

Big improvement today, actually looked hungry for it.

I'm just watching Portugal. Man, I'll never 'like' Ronaldo, but that smile and that arrogance is what every top striker should have. People argue the toss over who is better between him and Messi, but whereas Messi has a team that plays around him for his strengths, Ronaldo can change a game on his own. A phenomenal player.
I find Ronaldo to be slightly over rated, but he is defintely very good, as a person I greatly dislike him though lol