Official Soccer Thread | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Official Soccer Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
wbOjbLq.jpg

This is what I have for my Euro predictor.

Reactions: UK-Trigg
Wow ... Brazil got knocked out of the Copa America yesterday. Anyway, an hour and 15 minutes 'till Belgium goes against Italy.
Brazil always has so much individual talent, but sometimes the team concept is lacking.......On another sports news. Our Pittsburgh Penguins won the NHL Stanley Cup last night. Six months ago, when the team was barely over 500, you couldn't even find a hardcore fan that thought the team would make the playoffs. New coach, some great trades, and a bunch of youngsters up from the farm club, certainly changed that around.......I'm watching the ESPN pre game right now. Looks like it's raining, but that often makes for a more interesting match. I'll be rooting for Belgium. :thumbsup:

Reactions: anihilnation
Italy's defense was really good, did not help Belgium really lacked creativity up front. But I stay positive, in the Copa America the USA lost their first game with the same score and still ended up topping the group.

Hello! American Football Fan here! I will say that Soccer is my 3rd favorite sport, behind American Football and Basketball, but with the poor reffing by the NBA officials, Soccer might become 2nd.
Orlando City is 7th in the MLS Standings, hopefully they will make it into the MLS Cup their 2nd year!

If you don't like bad refereeing then don't watch "soccer" lol. It has probably the worst refereeing in existence.
It is all part of the fun :)
I don't think it is necessarily bad refereeing, it is just that often it is hard for the referee to see it all. Only thing I don't like is referees who blow for every little thing.

Reactions: Mad Dog
It is all part of the fun :)
I don't think it is necessarily bad refereeing, it is just that often it is hard for the referee to see it all. Only thing I don't like is referees who blow for every little thing.
Exactly. I've coached, played & officiated for like forever. You're talking about a field much larger than an American football field, and there is really only 1 center official to cover all of that and 22 players. (I discount the two sideline officials because they don't really don't do much). This is mostly by design. Soccer is a fluid game and needs to be nearly non stop to be good. By just having one official, for all intents and purposes, the game does not get "over officiated", and the players are allowed to play. (As a player the thing I hate most is a nit picking official who calls too many minor infractions and screws up the flow & chemistry of the game). Subsequently a lot of calls will get missed (sometimes you might end up 50 yards from the play), but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't usually matter. The only thing they really probably need to do, when available, is video review on a goal or possible goal. That's the only real crucial thing, and goals don't happen often. Otherwise, the game works fine as it is with one center official. Any more would ruin the game.

Nope , first kick off @ 5 iirc

As for the refereeing, some of it has been appalling, and FIFA's reluctance to engage the technology that's been available for years drives me mad lol
I think the worst so far was a player being dragged down in the box, 2 yards away from the official behind the goal, who claimed to not see anything.

We need a system similar to US sports where there are multiple referees, all armed with flags, who can throw a flag if they see something, play continues & then the head referee talks to whoever threw the flag and decides what action to take. No more "I didn't see it" no more "he should have played the advantage" etc etc

Reactions: UK-Trigg
Nope , first kick off @ 5 iirc

As for the refereeing, some of it has been appalling, and FIFA's reluctance to engage the technology that's been available for years drives me mad lol
I think the worst so far was a player being dragged down in the box, 2 yards away from the official behind the goal, who claimed to not see anything.

We need a system similar to US sports where there are multiple referees, all armed with flags, who can throw a flag if they see something, play continues & then the head referee talks to whoever threw the flag and decides what action to take. No more "I didn't see it" no more "he should have played the advantage" etc etc
Soccer needs to flow. It's not like American football where you play for 20 seconds and stop for a minute or two. Multiple officials would kill the game. Missed calls are part of the game. A lot of it is official judgement too. Did the player get taken down or did he dive or overact (not referring to the play you mentioned). It's all part of the game. The game works well as it is. No reason to mess with a good system.