Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pandora Pre-Opening Standpoint Check-in?

The problem with these figures is they're all worldwide value. Pokémon's value is 45% based in Japan. Given that the overwhelming majority of Orlando theme park visitors are U.S. residents, it would be ill-reasoned to consider foreign value.

Japan would be the place to put it!

Fairly certain SW has surpassed Pokémon as well.

All cases I've seen group MCU into one franchise, so I doubt it.

People also like to lump all the Disney Princesses into one franchise as well but in the end, it falsely inflates numbers rather than show the true value of a certain IP. Each member of the Avengers is their own brand, they aren't the X-men. Most had their own solo comic book adventures. Star wars makes sense to lump all together because they all are part of the same world.

As for Pokémon, its funny how fast people forgot about the massive Pokémon Go craze. Also you all do know Disney fought hard to get the Detective Pikachu rights that Legendary/Universal won? Its an overly valuable IP that has maintain without wavier its popularity for the past 20 years. Disney even fought for the distribution rights of their last series on Disney XD.
Pokémon Sun & Moon Anime Starts Weekly Run on Disney XD in U.S. in May - News - Anime News Network

Next week should be fairly eye opening. The ride experience details of the two attractions aren't really known. We only have bits & pieces of general info. It will be real interesting to hear from people on how strong the ride experiences are. Since there really isn't a whole lot to occupy time besides the two rides, they may be the make or break element.

People also like to lump all the Disney Princesses into one franchise as well but in the end, it falsely inflates numbers rather than show the true value of a certain IP. Each member of the Avengers is their own brand, they aren't the X-men. Most had their own solo comic book adventures. Star wars makes sense to lump all together because they all are part of the same world.

As for Pokémon, its funny how fast people forgot about the massive Pokémon Go craze. Also you all do know Disney fought hard to get the Detective Pikachu rights that Legendary/Universal won? Its an overly valuable IP that has maintain without wavier its popularity for the past 20 years. Disney even fought for the distribution rights of their last series on Disney XD.
Pokémon Sun & Moon Anime Starts Weekly Run on Disney XD in U.S. in May - News - Anime News Network
I'll have to check out the ratings. I remember when Pokémon was hot. It's mostly nostalgic nowadays though.

Edit: at least where I'm at.

Again, talk to the teens I work with on a regular basis about that. Look at Pokemon Sun and Moon. It's far from a wistfully nostalgic franchise.

Anyways... :topic: I don't have firm feelings on this other than wanting to see it for sure.

Let me just say how annoying this all is. It's been 6 years of the same talk about which IP is better, if it fits in AK, etc. Let it be what it is. If this continues on here when the land opens, I'm out. Both Pandora threads are so repetitive.

:horse:

The floating mountains look silly to me, but they may look better when actually walking around the land. I think the rides will be a little underwhelming (more so the boat ride than Flight of Passage) but the land will be visually stunning.

My biggest fear is that the land underperforms and Disney cuts the planned projects for Epcot. This land needs to be successful for continued investment in WDW, especially with the 50th anniversary coming up.

I wouldn't worry as much about the idea of the rest of the parks suffering if this doesn't meet expectations. I think it will meet most expectations for Disney, but I also feel like they realize they NEED to make improvements in EPCOT and other projects for the 50th. They've finally realized they rested on their laurels too long and need to invest. Between the competition from Universal and the complaints from guests for lack of new attractions they are finally putting plans into action.

Yes, they're really pushing this land with an all out marketing effort east of the Mississippi, and discounting hotel rooms. And, if you look at the series of commercials, they're trying to educate the GP about what the land is. That may signal a potential problem. A land of this nature and budget should sell itself, without having to explain it to the GP....ie. SWL, HP, NFL, TSL, Carsland.

Yes, they're really pushing this land with an all out marketing effort east of the Mississippi, and discounting hotel rooms. And, if you look at the series of commercials, they're trying to educate the GP about what the land is. That may signal a potential problem. A land of this nature and budget should sell itself, without having to explain it to the GP....ie. SWL, HP, NFL, TSL, Carsland.

The HP lands had one of the best websites I've ever seen. I think the marketing firm that created it (don't know if it was Universal or external) won some awards. Being able to virtually walk down the streets of Diagon and Hogsmead is something that should've been done with Pandora.