Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL! Somebody just finally pointed out my biggest problem with it. Everytime I try to explain that, all my friends (who love Avatar) don't get that it's an insulting thing to do.

Let me make sure I read this right. You're comparing growing an alien species to be used as an avatar with blackface? Okay.

Crack is wack, folks.

Also, you do realize that the Na'vi knew they weren't actually Na'vi. Jake's nickname when the whole tribe meets him is the "dreamwalker"...

Jake's job was to learn about the Na'vi and report any info that could help with the military's quest for ununobtanium.

Let me make sure I read this right. You're comparing growing an alien species to be used as an avatar with blackface? Okay.

Crack is wack, folks.

It's not just so it can be used as an avatar. It's done with the implication that the Na'vi will not notice or will be more sympathetic to somebody pretending to be of their race. I found it insulting. I'm part Native American and part Mexican, and if somebody showed up dressed up in traditional ceremonial clothing trying to get my land, you can bet your ass I'd be insulted.

But let's get back on topic. I'm sure Disney isn't that concerned about the sociological implications of a film. If they were, then we wouldn't hqve Song of the South.

And yes I knew that they knew, my point was that they didn't care at all that people were creating artificial bodies and thought they could walk among them. To me, I would be mad. I'd want you to come to me in your real body. Disrespect.

Last edited:
It's not just so it can be used as an avatar. It's done with the implication that the Na'vi will not notice or will be more sympathetic to somebody pretending to be of their race. I found it insulting. I'm part Native American and part Mexican, and if somebody showed up dressed up in traditional ceremonial clothing trying to get my land, you can bet your ass I'd be insulted.

But let's get back on topic. I'm sure Disney isn't that concerned about the sociological implications of a film. If they were, then we wouldn't hqve Song of the South.

And yes I knew that they knew, my point was that they didn't care at all that people were creating artificial bodies and thought they could walk among them. To me, I would be mad. I'd want you to come to me in your real body. Disrespect.

Really think you're reaching on that one, but to each their own I guess.

I should probably give some context. I've got a BA in Film Studies and my primary focus was on sociological ramifications and connotations in film (specifically deaf culture), so to be fair, I see almost every film from the rose-tinted lenses of sociology, :lol:

Quote from James Cameron when answering questions about Avatar games. The topic of AK came up and he said this. From IGN:

Beyond the games, what would you like to see in the Avatar Disney World Pandora that will be built in Orlando?

I definitely want to do a flight attraction of some kind. I love "Soarin' Over California" (at Disney's California Adventure Park in Anaheim). Flying is a big part of the movie. One of the things people liked the most at test screenings was going up into the floating mountains in the flying sequences. We may have banshees, Leonopteryxes, maybe some other flying creatures that don't make their appearance until the second and third films.

Last edited:
All Cameron has talked about theme park wise is Soarin', to the point that I'm almost certain we'll be getting Soarin': Avatar Edition for the main attraction here.

If that's the case, color me disappointed.

Hmmm. A 3-D version of Soarin. This makes me angry. Not because I hate the idea, but because I've always had a half-assed notion to get my engineering and art buddies together to put together an ImagiNations project that was essentially a 3-D version of Soarin with the theme of UP and an adventure to Paradise Falls.

Another Soarin-type ride would be disappointing. But I don't know that he was saying that they were basically going to build an imax and have like it is at EPCOT just with Avatar. He said he likes Soarin and wants a flying attraction. For all we know, it could end up being something along the lines of HPatFJ at IOA. I mean, it's possible it could be a soarin type ride, I do hope not though. A flying type ride is definitely a ride I think will be in the land, I just hope it isn't Soarin'. One is enough (not that I don't like it, but i've already seen it).

I can see Cameron wanting to do an all-movie ride. He liked, scratch that, LOVED being in control of Terminator 3-D. I can see him wanting to film a new 3-D film for theme park.

Okay. We don't need 5 pages of how everyone hates this expansion already. Let the ink on the deal dry. I'm 99.99% sure Cameron is talking out of his rear end at this point. If JK had come out and said she liked Spiderman and wanted that type of experience for the WWOHP, would you freak out? Lots of rides have similar core concepts, but radically different experiences.

No freaking out on my end, my friend. I'm not worried about this in the least. At $500 million, the worst it could be is good-looking expansion with a good, not great ride. That's not a bad place to start for an expansion. All up from there.

Guys, don't worry. WDI has a long time to think of a flying attraction. And Cameron said he liked soarin, not that he wanted one for his land. He was just mentioning he liked the fly concept. And I highly doubt WDI would just clone soarin and put it in the same resort. Omnimovers are different. They're just vehicle while rides at different ends of the spectrum. But how different can two imax simulators be, really? Nope. Disney isn't stupid enough to clone a ride for the biggest expansion their parks have ever seen.

I don't expect a Soarin'-type ride to come to Pandora. James Cameron was making a reference to flying in general. Which makes me wonder if this attraction could be an all new ride experience. I imagine something similar to the ride system of a flying coaster combined with an immersive, well-themed dark ride. That could be awesome.

Guys, don't worry. WDI has a long time to think of a flying attraction.

They're more into design than they've been letting on.

Construction won't start until 2013 because of financial reasons, not design reasons.

Disney isn't stupid enough to clone a ride for the biggest expansion their parks have ever seen.

I think you're going WAY overboard on that one. This is far from the biggest expansion ever.

They're more into design than they've been letting on.

Construction won't start until 2013 because of financial reasons, not design reasons.

I think you're going WAY overboard on that one. This is far from the biggest expansion ever.

I agree. The $1.1 bil for DCA is pretty big (and from what JungleSkip has told us, it is currently running way over budget). A brand new land with 3 new rides (one apparently the most expensive ride ever made) and restaurants, a complete rethemeing of two lands and the main street, a state-of-the-art water show, and a new dark ride (mermaid).

Last edited:

I was referring to WDW specifically, and even if it's not the biggest in size, it is game-changing for the park it's in, making the expansion even more important. So no, I guess it may not be the biggest ever, but it's definitely up there.

I don't really see how this will work. I hate the film so don't really like this idea. Also the fact that its only $500,000,000 is sad considering its Disney who are very bad when it comes to spending money on their attractions (Universal can do a better themed land for less money). Unless this goes over budget I can't see it being very good, considering the level of theming require for it based on the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.