Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see how this will work. I hate the film so don't really like this idea. Also the fact that its only $500,000,000 is sad considering its Disney who are very bad when it comes to spending money on their attractions (Universal can do a better themed land for less money). Unless this goes over budget I can't see it being very good, considering the level of theming require for it based on the movie.

I can't understand why hating the film means you should hate the idea of the land. No one can argue the film is visually appealing and has potential for some fun rides. A lot of people weren't fond of the new Mummy movies, does that mean the ride isn't fun?

I HATE, and I do mean HATE, Avatar, and even I know that this will make a cool attraction. Avatar, in my humble opinion, has a horrible screenplay and laughably cliched characters, but it also has gorgeous art direction and design. If there ever was a place where the sheer spectacle is more important than writing (dialogue, plot, etc) it's a theme park attraction.

And $500 mil to start with is a lot. That's two FJ's (if I am remembering correctly).

The problem I have with the movie is that it had the human is bad and just wants to kill everything to make a profit message. But thats Hollywood for ya. A good balance to that was Battle Los Angeles, even though it had hints of Liberalism in it. I am all for being entertained in a theme park whether I know the story behind the theme or not. I got a new appreciation for the movies Men in Black, Twister and Back to the Future after visiting the attractions. Just might happen with Avatar too.Have at it Disney.

I think the competition to outdo each other the theme parks have is only a win win situation for us. As long as they keep prices resonable.

And $500 mil to start with is a lot. That's two FJ's (if I am remembering correctly).

That's five Forbidden Journeys. It's two WWoHPs.

But you have to take into account the differences with Universal and Disney when figuring out that number. As I said before, RSRs is over 400 million, which is 4 FJs.

That's five Forbidden Journeys. It's two WWoHPs.

But you have to take into account the differences with Universal and Disney when figuring out that number. As I said before, RSRs is over 400 million, which is 4 FJs.

FJ was only $100 mil? Geez, Skip, you're blowing my mind with these numbers. So, FJ cost less than Transformers? Wow.

I can't understand why hating the film means you should hate the idea of the land. No one can argue the film is visually appealing and has potential for some fun rides. A lot of people weren't fond of the new Mummy movies, does that mean the ride isn't fun?

I HATE, and I do mean HATE, Avatar, and even I know that this will make a cool attraction. Avatar, in my humble opinion, has a horrible screenplay and laughably cliched characters, but it also has gorgeous art direction and design. If there ever was a place where the sheer spectacle is more important than writing (dialogue, plot, etc) it's a theme park attraction.

Exactly! And exactly!

This project is happening whether people like or dislike Avatar. It's not an idea or a possibility. It's announced and it's coming. People need to deal with it... :deadhorse:

How big is the WWoHP in acres? They said "Avatar land" would be about 16 acres, right?

Yes, it's been announced, and I believe it's coming, but an announcement is far from a 100% guarantee. Disney has announced stuff plenty of times in the past that never came to fruition.

Very true, but for as much press as this announcement got, they'd be fools to cancel the plans. It's a PR nightmare I'm sure they'd wanna avoid.

Very true, but for as much press as this announcement got, they'd be fools to cancel the plans. It's a PR nightmare I'm sure they'd wanna avoid.

Oh, I agree. I'm sure this will happen. But the lengthy time frames also seem to allow for wiggle room. Remember, construction won't begin until 2013.

And as for acreage, Cameron has been quoted that it will be 12 acres.

Hopefully the new Avatar land being 8 acres smaller than WWoHP (as of what Cameron said apparently), they won't make the paths so damn small and perhaps be a bit smarter on how they design the shops, etc.

I seriously can not wait for concept art so everyone can pick a part every piece of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.