Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I was talking with my mother, and she said some of the bows and arrows might be good...
I'm thinking a lot of stuff will be sold at night as well, the biggest problem I'm seeing is how they're going to create live navi for meet and greets... I mean, navi are the humans of pandora, the land wouldn't be so great without them...
However, with 4 mill to spend, I hope that WDI can wise up and use the money evenly on the project and make an amazing immersive land...

Coming up with a story for this is going to be tough. Not only are the Na'vi enemies with the human race, we can't breathe on Pandora. Sure you can claim it's just a theme park, but you have to have some sort of explanation. Hopefully the sequels will come up with something. :shrug:

a rainforest cafe esque restuarant (albeit an immersive Pandora environment)

That would be amazing, especially since we know disney can do it. T-Rex in one of my favorite restaurants.

Coming up with a story for this is going to be tough. Not only are the Na'vi enemies with the human race, we can't breathe on Pandora. Sure you can claim it's just a theme park, but you have to have some sort of explanation. Hopefully the sequels will come up with something. :shrug:

I was thinking maybe that it isn't actually Pandora, but a recreation to see how humans react to the environment. :shrug: I think that any explanation of why it's on earth is a good one. It makes so much sense to keep it on our planet.

the biggest problem I'm seeing is how they're going to create live navi for meet and greets... I mean, navi are the humans of pandora, the land wouldn't be so great without them...

Why would that be a problem? Have you seen some of the amazing Na'vi costumes everyday people have come up with? All they need to do to make it more accurate is put them on some sort of stilts.

10yjb00.jpg

1442qzq.jpg

ra0ysh.jpg

Why would that be a problem? Have you seen some of the amazing Na'vi costumes everyday people have come up with? All they need to do to make it more accurate is put them on some sort of stilts.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It cant' be too hard to recreate the Na'vi. They'd also need enlarged hands.

LOL, good luck to Disney with trying to keep the Na'vi clothing (or lack thereof) within their perspective of "family friendly"

LOL, good luck to Disney with trying to keep the Na'vi clothing (or lack thereof) within their perspective of "family friendly"

Shouldn't be a problem, considering they have a collection of characters who have a lack of clothing. Ariel, Tinkerbell, etc.
I'm sure they'll have some sort of cover up (like in the second photo that AcidPop posted). It'll definitely look PG enough, imo.

The story of WWoHP is literally "open house for Muggles" in the midst of war against the Dark Lord who is out to eradicate our species... So Dumbles keeps muggles in the dark about their potential impending doom but, in thee middle of it all, reveals the entire magical world to them? It reads like a twelve year old's fan-fiction (Deathly Hollow's Epilogue, in otherwords) but within the theme park setting people could give two craps how tightened up the story is. Likewise, neither will people in Pandora. So what the air is unbreathable. If Muggles can simply stroll into Hogsmeade without any magical aide, no big, so I don't see why they can't walk onto Pandora. Do you really see people walking to the expansion pissed that they're able to breathe?

And Na'vi are not enemies of the human race, they are enemies of the mining company that destroyed their home. They were fine with the humans who were more enlightened, even despite their deceit by masquerading as Na'vi via avatars. Why can't the story simply be that a second wave of humans are arriving on Pandora peacefully? That way we could have human sci-fi technology in the mix with Pandora. We there diplomatically, done.

My question is that how will the foliage be handled? Cameron and company created plants for Pandora from scratch that somewhat resembles Earth's plants. So are they going to make a plastic forest or pick and choose live species that just look alien-ish?

My question is that how will the foliage be handled? Cameron and company created plants for Pandora from scratch that somewhat resembles Earth's plants. So are they going to make a plastic forest or pick and choose live species that just look alien-ish?

Most likely a mixture of both. But you know what I wonder? What if you water a plant with Quinine? Will it glow under black light?! :jaw: Someone should try it!

This is pretty cool:

[video=youtube;2vhcHuaArdg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vhcHuaArdg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

(Though the flower will be dead in a few days, and they'd need plants that stay alive and glowing. I still wonder about Quinine... but the glowing plants will most likely be fake)

Last edited:
Most likely a mixture of both. But you know what I wonder? What if you water a plant with Quinine? Will it glow under black light?! :jaw: Someone should try it!

(Though the flower will be dead in a few days, and they'd need plants that stay alive and glowing. I still wonder about Quinine... but the glowing plants will most likely be fake)

At least the flowers will be immune to malaria...

http://wdwmagic.com/Attractions/avatar.htm:

“AVATAR created a world which audiences can discover again and again and now, through this incredible partnership with Disney, we’ll be able to bring Pandora to life like never before… Our goal is to go beyond current boundaries of technical innovation and experiential storytelling, and give park goers the chance to see, hear, and touch the world of AVATAR with an unprecedented sense of reality.”

http://wdwmagic.com/Attractions/ava...reveals-a-few-more-details-of-AVATAR-land.htm:

ITN News in the United Kingdom interviewed James Cameron about the upcoming AVATAR project at Disney's Animal Kingdom, and a couple of interesting tidbits came to light about the size and scope of the land. Cameron indicated "the goal here is to put you on Pandora", it will feature a "number of attractions", occupy "12 acres of Pandora", offer a "complete experience" and "might be a half day or more" experience.

This is also a good video of Pandora for people who haven't seen the movie, or need refreshing. They can seriously do some amazing things...

[video=youtube;GBGDmin_38E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGDmin_38E&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Last edited:
And Na'vi are not enemies of the human race, they are enemies of the mining company that destroyed their home. They were fine with the humans who were more enlightened, even despite their deceit by masquerading as Na'vi via avatars. Why can't the story simply be that a second wave of humans are arriving on Pandora peacefully? That way we could have human sci-fi technology in the mix with Pandora. We there diplomatically, done.

I agree that we here at OU take the "story" of the lands far more seriously than the public at large do. If the place is fun, people don't give a crap.

And as for the bold statement above, that is the one thing that REALLY bothered me about Avatar. We've got a set of enlightened, proud people. And we show up in fake bodies with the intention of manipulating them into accepting us... AND THEY DON'T SAY ANYTHING! Who thought up the idea, "well, if we show up as one of them, maybe they'll let us stay." WHAT?! It just pokes a hole in the entire set-up. If you were to make a movie where a colonist shows up dressed up as an indigenous person, not only would it be racist, but that colonist would be BEAT TO DEATH for thinking he could get away with it. It's basically the extraterrestrial version of blackface.

And as for the bold statement above, that is the one thing that REALLY bothered me about Avatar. We've got a set of enlightened, proud people. And we show up in fake bodies with the intention of manipulating them into accepting us... AND THEY DON'T SAY ANYTHING! Who thought up the idea, "well, if we show up as one of them, maybe they'll let us stay." WHAT?! It just pokes a hole in the entire set-up. If you were to make a movie where a colonist shows up dressed up as an indigenous person, not only would it be racist, but that colonist would be BEAT TO DEATH for thinking he could get away with it. It's basically the extraterrestrial version of blackface.

You're at a 10, you need to turn it down to a 3. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.