Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 264 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
World building in literature seems to be a bit more of a recent construct. Fantasy has been around a very long time but the concept of creating a working world within a story is something that's become more widespread in modern literature. With a wide reaching world crafted, a themed land can be created because you have the sheer volume of material to work with. It's interesting to consider the fact that without the detail in the books, the lands couldn't feel nearly as rich for HP. Avatar is a beautiful visual experience - but it's screen time wasn't dedicated to the little things we hope to try in a theme park representation. The Banshees are the largest "I have to try that!" experience I can think of and that's one ride...
Not to mention that 2 out of the 3 main iconic locations in the first film were destroyed by the humans. We still have floating mountains, but Hometree is blown up and falls at the end of the film during the battle (fine, DAK already has a giant tree in it) but the other -what could have been a beautiful, and reasonably sized centerpiece to part of the new land- the Eywa Tree of Souls, was bulldozed by the humans halfway through the film.

I would've loved to see this in the land:

tree-of-souls-avatar-30842775-1024-768.jpg

TreeofSouls.jpg

Who knows, maybe they will still have it. And as you walk around the tree you hear whispers from the souls of the dead, using audio projection technology, so it feels like it's right in your ear.

I'm hoping for a little more lore in my Avatar Land!

Reactions: Frogki
The tree of souls is mentioned in the promotional literature so it's possible it'll be presented.
Yay! That's something that will look incredible at night.

EDIT: Actually I wonder if that will only exist on the boat ride, in a controlled environment, so they can use fiber optics as the long glowing hanging branches?

Yay! That's something that will look incredible at night.

EDIT: Actually I wonder if that will only exist on the boat ride, in a controlled environment, so they can use fiber optics as the long glowing hanging branches?

It's part of the info from the tour provider explaining the native people on your eco tour. They worship the tree and the sprites that float around come from it.

I suspect it's in the boat ride.

I'd say the tree of whatever would be right there at the black arrow

That's a good point. Many of the shop names and adverts on the walls of Diagon come from things mentioned in the books, not the films.

Reportedly with Avatar Disney just started pulling stuff out of random foreign locations to build the land. I bet if there was one Avatar ride in an overall mythical/fantasy animals land there would be little issues or worried.

I think people think of AK as a zoo first & a theme park second. That perception, reinforced by a lack of rides, is difficult to change. That kind of ties into daytime success and night ho hum.
Once Disney starts advertising Avatar land at "Disney's Animal Kingdom" I would think that any perceived misconceptions of what the park is, would evaporate. Could be wrong, but I think that's a pretty logical assumption.

I would guess that far less people had a desire to visit Radiator Springs than Pandora. The numbers speak for themselves, don't they? At the very least, I believe Disney can expect a DCA level bump. As of right now, DAK has nothing enticing about it, IMO. There's no nostalgia, IP, or any good reason why anyone would choose it over MK, other than experiencing a breadth of attractions. Pandora changes that.

Also, while the new films will most certainly not do as well as the original, they will keep the franchise relevant.

I wish Animal Kingdom was actually just a zoo. Then Dinoland would have real dinosaurs. Plus, the Yeti would be much scarier if it were real.
lol good one.

Everyone knows the dinosaurs are real, the Iguanadon even holds up the tree for guests to escape the Dinosaur ride!!!

Also the Yeti doesn't move when humans are staring at it, I think Joe Rhode explained that one time not long ago....duh!

Reactions: Mad Dog
I would guess that far less people had a desire to visit Radiator Springs than Pandora. The numbers speak for themselves, don't they?

The merchandise numbers suggest exactly the opposite. "Cars" was "Disney Princesses" for boys. Hell. years later, there's still half an aisle of Cars merch at Target, good luck finding even a DVD from Avatar.

No offense, but you think like Iger. Box office does not equal zeitgeist. "Brother Bear" outgrossed "The Little Mermaid." Do you honestly think a BB ride/meet & greet would outperform Ariel in the parks?

The merchandise numbers suggest exactly the opposite. "Cars" was "Disney Princesses" for boys. Hell. years later, there's still half an aisle of Cars merch at Target, good luck finding even a DVD from Avatar.

No offense, but you think like Iger. Box office does not equal zeitgeist. "Brother Bear" outgrossed "The Little Mermaid." Do you honestly think a BB ride/meet & greet would outperform Ariel in the parks?
for the record Avatar was the highest grossing home market movie ever

I loved Avatar, but I can only remember Jake and Neytiri. I can't remember the villain's name, or any of the supporting heroes....

Couple points
1. That still doesnt change the fact it was successful
2.where are the characters in asia, africa, and dinoland?

1. When announced, the expectation was the sequels would have already been out or still in the process of rolling out. Yes, it was successful. No one is debating that. They're just debating where Avatar's relevance stands today.

2. None of those lands are part of a billion dollar overhaul that's been hyped up for 6 years and is supposed to "save" AK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico
I loved Avatar, but I can only remember Jake and Neytiri. I can't remember the villain, or any of the supporting heroes....

1. When announced, the expectation was the sequels would have already been out or still in the process of rolling out. Yes, it was successful. No one is debating that. They're just debating where Avatar's relevance stands today.

2. None of those lands are part of a billion dollar overhaul that's been hyped up for 6 years and is supposed to "save" AK.
I guess i just emphatically disagree about some of the wording in your post

At this point open up the land and see where the chips fall

Status
Not open for further replies.