Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 349 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it won one and had a 25% on rotten tomatoes
Avatar won 3 and was nominated for 9 awards including best picture and best director it also won golden globe picture of the year as well as drama and director
i mean its your opinion to not like the movie but the facts say it was as popular and successful as a movie can be literally every level box office, critical acclaim, home sales
its just facts
None of this really has anything to do with my original point that Jules Verne is just way more deserving to be in a Disney theme park than Avatar. People may have marginally enjoyed Avatar, but it didn't really contribute anything new to the genre whereas Verne essentially created the genre. People will still be reading Verne's book long after Avatar has become a footnote in pop culture history. One of the things that has really made Disney's parks so successful over the years is a timeless quality to most of their parks and attractions. Jules Verne's stories have clearly withstood the test of time, and have proven to be a great fit for Disney theme parks. Now maybe Avatarland will be good, and maybe it will be lucky enough where it hits that sweet spot like Splash Mountain where they squeeze a timeless attraction out of an odd IP, but that is a huge gamble when you are trying to plan for the long-term success of the park. Mysterious Island may not have had the initial flash of attention as Avatar, but I'd be willing to bet they would have seen better returns on it over time.

It's a Mexican standoff in here. Everyone chill.
0QLdnDX.gif

None of this really has anything to do with my original point that Jules Verne is just way more deserving to be in a Disney theme park than Avatar. People may have marginally enjoyed Avatar, but it didn't really contribute anything new to the genre whereas Verne essentially created the genre. People will still be reading Verne's book long after Avatar has become a footnote in pop culture history. One of the things that has really made Disney's parks so successful over the years is a timeless quality to most of their parks and attractions. Jules Verne's stories have clearly withstood the test of time, and have proven to be a great fit for Disney theme parks. Now maybe Avatarland will be good, and maybe it will be lucky enough where it hits that sweet spot like Splash Mountain where they squeeze a timeless attraction out of an odd IP, but that is a huge gamble when you are trying to plan for the long-term success of the park. Mysterious Island may not have had the initial flash of attention as Avatar, but I'd be willing to bet they would have seen better returns on it over time.
i was really addressing this quote
"It was successful on exactly one level: financial. Beyond that... it didn't exactly reinvent the wheel."
as far as what deserves a themed land is all opinion
me personally i think both would ve been great

Previews are just a few weeks away guys... let's at least try to wait until we have some real boots on the ground reports before making a decision on the quality of the land based on some promo photos.

I say that not to dissuade criticism (Have at it, I don't care), but to remind people that if you walk into this thing wanting to hate it, you will definitely find a way to hate it. Same can be said going the opposite way though, too.

Reactions: jtsalien and Frogki
Previews are just a few weeks away guys... let's at least try to wait until we have some real boots on the ground reports before making a decision on the quality of the land based on some promo photos.

I say that not to dissuade criticism (Have at it, I don't care), but to remind people that if you walk into this thing wanting to hate it, you will definitely find a way to hate it. Same can be said going the opposite way though, too.
i get the feeling for some their opinions are pretty much set in stone

Reactions: LieutLaww
Nobody wants to hate Avatar - you're completely misinterpretting it. After 20 years of watching Disney take from the profits of WDW and reinvest into overseas parks, it's nice to finally see a true LAND come to a Florida park. It's clear that some of you need to be reminded that this was announced almost a decade ago and has an overall higher pricetag than the initial theme park did in 1998. There *should* be high expectations that this delivers in the same way Potter did for Universal.

I think if there were ever a time to be critical - it's with this project. @Andy is spot on with his predictions for the land being small and the rides being underwhelming, but that's not because I'm hoping for that, it's based on the reality of the situation.

I think if there were ever a time to be critical - it's with this project. @Andy is spot on with his predictions for the land being small and the rides being underwhelming, but that's not because I'm hoping for that, it's based on the reality of the situation.
I actually completely agree with both you and Andy. If you go back and look at my post in the expectations thread, I said my biggest worry was the rides being a let down. I'm simply trying to remind people who may be getting a bit narrow focused on some things that we should be going in with high expectations, but still an open mind.

i get the feeling for some their opinions are pretty much set in stone

This project helps determine the scope of what they will do with SWL. It can be even more so argued that James Cameron is more protective of Avatar than Disney is with Star Wars. People need to be harsh here where the stakes are much lower so when it comes down to a beloved IP, they don't mess it up. Blind praise does no one good. If this land is underwhelming, at least it will allow for Disney to tweak and improve things for later down the road. You may say oh its a forum Disney isn't reading it. Disney might not be but people are lurking and seeing what we post, and they talk about it on other places and it spreads until someone who needs to hear a certain message gets it.

You think the place looks beautiful. I think it looks artificial. Guess what? Its okay to disagree.

Nobody wants to hate Avatar - you're completely misinterpretting it. After 20 years of watching Disney take from the profits of WDW and reinvest into overseas parks, it's nice to finally see a true LAND come to a Florida park. It's clear that some of you need to be reminded that this was announced almost a decade ago and has an overall higher pricetag than the initial theme park did in 1998. There *should* be high expectations that this delivers in the same way Potter did for Universal.

Ugh, as much as I hate jumping in on this conversation. And as much as I hate comparing Diagon to Pandora... It is hard to overlook the fact that Diagon has like a dozen shops, all with their own personality. Several different snack stands. A full size restaurant. Street shows. A popular meet and greet. And an E-Ticket and a D/C-Ticket attraction.

We know Pandora will have one gift shop. One restaurant. One snack stand. An E-Ticket and a D/C-Ticket attraction. It does seem like the area may be small, (or rather feel small.) And while I am super excited to see how nature has taken over some areas seen in the end of the Avatar movie, other than that, it's mostly plants and floating mountains as the outside theming.

So yea. It's going to probably underwhelm most people, especially considering how high the bar has been set by Universal. Or even the wide expansive feeling of new Fantasyland (which also let people down initially, even though it added a decent classic-style dark ride, a popular meet and greet, train coaster, and the most popular restaurant now in the park.)

I'm going to probably love this expansion. And will love the rides, (or at least love the banshee ride, boat ride seems a little short for my tastes.) But will I spend as much time wandering through Pandora as I do Diagon on a near weekly basis? Probably not. Will I enjoy the atmosphere as much as I do new Fantasyland? Probably not. It will be more of what Animal Kingdom needs, but to be completely honest, it's more likely to let me down than truly impress me. (It would be difficult to blow me away the way Diagon did the first time.)

And this coming from arguably the biggest Avatar fan on this forum... I did see it in IMAX 5 times, own it on 3 different Blu-Ray versions, and prefer the 3.5 hour special edition.

I am still very much looking forward to it. I'm gonna get all the weird looking food and the fruity drinks with little balls on top and have a great time the first time for sure!

This project helps determine the scope of what they will do with SWL. It can be even more so argued that James Cameron is more protective of Avatar than Disney is with Star Wars. People need to be harsh here where the stakes are much lower so when it comes down to a beloved IP, they don't mess it up. Blind praise does no one good. If this land is underwhelming, at least it will allow for Disney to tweak and improve things for later down the road. You may say oh its a forum Disney isn't reading it. Disney might not be but people are lurking and seeing what we post, and they talk about it on other places and it spreads until someone who needs to hear a certain message gets it.

You think the place looks beautiful. I think it looks artificial. Guess what? Its okay to disagree.
i never said it wasnt

i believe he said the boat ride might be under whelming
which i totally agree

Reactions: Mad Dog

I'm going to come out and say what I've heard: Disney likes to seed the community through astroturfing. They do read this and I believe there are Twitter and forum accounts that act like WDW PR. Additionally Universal ALSO reads this and they see the issues and praise as discussed.

5.5 years ago is not a decade and you have no idea what it cost

^^ To echo this - I personally know of a few creative offices in the area that lurk this forum big time. Why do you think I like to post here so much? :p

^ You're about the last person on here that should be telling people what they do and do not know.

^^ To echo this - I personally know of a few creative offices in the area that lurk this forum big time. Why do you think I like to post here so much? :p

^ You're about the last person on here that should be telling people what they do and do not know.
calm down alice

i see a temporary thread close in the near future

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to think that we're all adults here and we can have a discussion about a theme park land without making personal insults. There seems to be instigating going on on both sides, so cut the crap and we'll be fine.

I'd like to think that we're all adults here and we can have a discussion about a theme park land without making personal insults. There seems to be instigating going on on both sides, so cut the crap and we'll be fine.

Please also use the "+ Quote" feature to add multiple quotes to a post. I've had to consolidate many posts over the past 24 hours.

Disney says nothing, it's an analyst who says it "conservatively" costs that much.

Who are getting their information from..... ?

I've always though the "1 billion" number thrown out there was overblown- or that it was misstated and was actually the entire DAK refurb- Tiffins, Flame Tree, Expanded walkways, Tree of Life projection show, new nighttime entertainment, africa expansion, RoL, etc. Give or take one or two of those away.

Who are getting their information from..... ?

I've always though the "1 billion" number thrown out there was overblown- or that it was misstated and was actually the entire DAK refurb- Tiffins, Flame Tree, Expanded walkways, Tree of Life projection show, new nighttime entertainment, africa expansion, RoL, etc. Give or take one or two of those away.
the way i look at it is
if star wars cost 1 billion and its 4 acres bigger there is no way this cost 1 billion
maybe the whole DAK expansion but not the land

Reactions: Andysol
Has anyone posted the official image of the banshee toys yet? I love the colors and design. Really catches the eye.

windtraders-banshee-toys-v2-16x9.jpg

Also, on the plant discussion. Some do move in the wind, like the one in the video that looks like a sea anemone. And lots have real plants incorporated into them, like the one below. For the much larger ones, like the big weird thing right when you enter, I understand why concrete is the way to go, it's just so massive. But even that weird plant has pieces rustling in the wind coming out of the end of it.

about_pci_02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.