Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 350 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are getting their information from..... ?

I've always though the "1 billion" number thrown out there was overblown- or that it was misstated and was actually the entire DAK refurb- Tiffins, Flame Tree, Expanded walkways, Tree of Life projection show, new nighttime entertainment, africa expansion, RoL, etc. Give or take one or two of those away.

the way i look at it is
if star wars cost 1 billion and its 4 acres bigger there is no way this cost 1 billion
maybe the whole DAK expansion but not the land

The initial budget was listed at $500 million when it was announced; but seemingly every person with some inside knowledge has said it's gone way over budget. I don't understand why there is a continued fight on this?

And we're talking about the same company that went way over budget with FLE & MagicBand...but for some reason with this project it doesn't make sense?

Who are they (the analysts) getting their information from? Most analysts pull it out of their butts.

Oh, I agree- Tech analysts are even worse- they make my head spin with misinformation. Its just tough to buy two numbers that get thrown out- MM+ being 2.5B now (or has that grown yet again) and Avatar being 1B.

As if there is any insider on any forum that could possibly know that MM+ is going from 1B to 1.5B to 2B, etc in real time. They wouldn't even have a way to track that in isolation in accounting- yet some insider knows it somehow and has a source that can compile that sort of information? Hence why I question these "hard" numbers that just get tossed out as fact.

With respect to the whole plants discussion, there was always going to need to be a balance between the real and the artificial. It would be impossible to recreate exotic Pandora using only living plants that really exist on Earth. The fact that there are real plants and trees interspersed as well should help the entire land to not feel totally incongruous with Animal Kingdom's environs as a whole.

Has anyone posted the official image of the banshee toys yet? I love the colors and design. Really catches the eye.

View attachment 4110

The Enchanted Banshee Room!

But in all seriousness, those look cool, and depending on what they actually feel like in your hand, I could see them being hits with kids... and others!

Reactions: UNIrd and Alicia
The initial budget was listed at $500 million when it was announced; but seemingly every person with some inside knowledge has said it's gone way over budget. I don't understand why there is a continued fight on this?

And we're talking about the same company that went way over budget with FLE & MagicBand...but for some reason with this project it doesn't make sense?
its not a fight just saying going from 500 million to 1 billion is a big jump that no analyst has ever come close to.
not saying you re wrong just dont think you re right, im sorry unless it gets announced officially im not taking the word of a theme park message board about cost

edit: like the MB debate whats it now 3 billion for it

its not a fight just saying going from 500 million to 1 billion is a big jump that no analyst has ever come close to.
not saying you re wrong just dont think you re right, im sorry unless it gets announced officially im not taking the word of a theme park message board about cost

We can debate and wonder how high the number actually is; but the point of it all is that a $500 million went over budget (how much we'll leave out for the sake of the discussion), but 2 Wizarding Worlds cost $456m. That's the point of the budget talk.

We can debate and wonder how high the number actually is; but the point of it all is that a $500 million went over budget (how much we'll leave out for the sake of the discussion), but 2 Wizarding Worlds cost $456m. That's the point of the budget talk.
every time i ve ever talked about the DAK budget i never once brought up the WWOHP, its obvious Universal spends more efficiently than Disney no debate there

It went way over budget and we lost a ride in the process... the land was supposed to have a speeder bike coaster in addition to the other two rides during it's infancy.

Reactions: Quint and Joel
me personally i think both would ve been great
In a world of infinite resources, sure, I would love to see both.
It went way over budget and we lost a ride in the process... the land was supposed to have a speeder bike coaster in addition to the other two rides during it's infancy.
Sounds like Disneyland lost out on a PeopleMover-type thing, too.

Reactions: twebber55
ROI is definitely significant. These companies are businesses first.......If there wasn't such a significant ROI on Hogsmeade, just about nothing new that's happened at Universal in the last six years, and future years , would have happened. Inversely, disappointing ROI on Everest/Asia retarded development in WDW for quite a few years.

Disney has expectations for how the land will perform. If the land misses expectations, then there may be some cause for concern. However, we simply don't know what they're expecting. Perhaps they expect to write off this project as a total loss, or maybe do better than Potter (obvious extremes).

Personally, I suspect they're expecting Cars Land-level results, which IMO is right where they should be.

Disney has expectations for how the land will perform. If the land misses expectations, then there may be some cause for concern. However, we simply don't know what they're expecting. Perhaps they expect to write off this project as a total loss, or maybe do better than Potter (obvious extremes).

Personally, I suspect they're expecting Cars Land-level results, which IMO is right where they should be.
Those are pretty darn high expectations. I can see a double digit increase at AK, largely fueled by AP ers & locals that spend significantly less than tourists, but not at WDW overall. An AP er tacking on an additional one or two visits over the already paid for AP doesn't really bring much new money in. And the initial flood of people will be fueled by locals. But, as others have said, I think it will just take away from the other WDW parks, mostly DHS. If this does not attract a significant percentage of "tourists", it won't be be bringing much new money in. And all of these summer discount tourist offers that are floating around kind of indicates that summer "tourist" numbers for the overall resort are troublesome....I hope Disney expectations are more like NFL or below numbers, because that won't cause trickle down problems. Carsland type increases, if expected and not met, could be problematical.

Reactions: Quint

Disney is ready to go big time beyond just SWL, but the ROI on certain additions company wide have hindered how big they can go and when they can finally say "GO!". I personally think they are expecting bigger than Cars Land since #1 movie and all that; which is why I'm worried.

Reactions: Quint and Mr. EPCOT
Disney is ready to go big time beyond just SWL, but the ROI on certain additions company wide have hindered how big they can go and when they can finally say "GO!". I personally think they are expecting bigger than Cars Land since #1 movie and all that; which is why I'm worried.
something i found interesting in the bloomberg article yesterday was the discussion how disney in the next few years will be relying more on theme park $$$ because of the decline of cable subscribers
here is the pic of the graph
600x-1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel and DoubleJ
Those are pretty darn high expectations. I can see a double digit increase at AK, largely fueled by AP ers & locals that spend significantly less than tourists. An AP er tacking on an additional one or two visits over the already paid for AP doesn't really bring much new money in. And the initial flood of people will be fueled by locals. But, as others have said, I think it will just take away from the other WDW parks, mostly DHS. If this does not attract a significant percentage of "tourists", it won't be be bringing much new money in. And all of these summer discount tourist offers that are floating around kind of indicates that summer "tourist" numbers for the overall resort are troublesome....I hope Disney expectations are more like NFL or below numbers, because that won't cause trickle down problems. Carsland type increases, if expected and not met, could be problematical.
Until SWL opens, I suspect all the parks will be taking from DHS.

NFL was a joke. This is not. Contrary to most on this forum (which is primarily focused on Universal), I know lots of people who are planning a trip to WDW because of Pandora.
WDW has a larger guest pool than DL, so I think greater than CL numbers are definitely within range. However, everything about this expansion is WDW's Cars Land. There is one shop and one QS in the land. If they were expecting more, there would be more.

Until SWL opens, I suspect all the parks will be taking from DHS.

NFL was a joke. This is not. Contrary to most on this forum (which is primarily focused on Universal), I know lots of people who are planning a trip to WDW because of Pandora.

WDW has a larger guest pool than DL, so I think greater than CL numbers are definitely within range. However, everything about this expansion is WDW's Cars Land. There is one shop and one QS in the land. If they were expecting more, there would be more.
totally agree
i see at least a cars land bump probably closer to 15%

Reactions: DoubleJ
Previews are just a few weeks away guys... let's at least try to wait until we have some real boots on the ground reports before making a decision on the quality of the land based on some promo photos.

I say that not to dissuade criticism (Have at it, I don't care), but to remind people that if you walk into this thing wanting to hate it, you will definitely find a way to hate it. Same can be said going the opposite way though, too.

I'm in on 5/15, and I can't freaking wait. It'll either be beautiful, or a beautiful disaster. Either way, a good time :ears::lol:

Reactions: Frogki and Alicia
Status
Not open for further replies.