Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 86 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i understand the kind of utopian view of animal kingdom and that it shouldnt be about rides but the fact is its still a theme park that charges close to 100.00 a ticket.....im gonna need more rides to make it beneficial for our family to go to

Exactly. Even being the best themed zoo in the world wouldn't justify nearly $100 for admission. It needs the rides and shows that take it to the level that is expected at that price point.

I think it all comes down to money and I can understand why WDI and TDO is having issues with Cameron. I'm sure he wants even more budgeted for this land than we even can comprehend and Disney is probably aiming 30-40% less than that. I mean look at what Universal had to spend with T2-3D when they worked with Cameron. By today's standards and through inflation it would of cost close to 100 million dollars for a 3d show. Not saying it wasn't worth it but I mean I can see where TDO is probably clinching in the thoughts of what he wants them to spend.

I've said this once and I'll say it again, DAK isn't the kind of park that NEEDS rides. It was never meant to be that kind of park. Think Epcot but more focus on nature. It shouldn't have rides everywhere. It should have more lands focusing on different areas of wildlife, and if there's something logical there, then have a ride there.

For example, in a national park land, it'd make sense to have a Pocahontas river adventure ride. Utilizing Tarzan as a theme for landscape and a neat coaster in a jungle land. Moving Finding Nemo's musical to Australia and an original Soarin'-esque ride. Those make sense. But just throwing in a ride based on a movie that, while have a style with animals and forests, don't really have anything to do with DAK's theme.

Pocahontas, Tarzan, Jungle Book and Lion King are the only ones that really can be utilized for the DAK theme. And really, for the lands we've all discussed, they're the ones that are easiest to deal with given what's presented already.

Also, I think the idea for having Avatar land represent fantastical wildlife is actually a good idea. But it should be something generic and original to incorporate other fantastical creatures other than aliens. Which was why I'm still hoping for Beastly Kingdom.

I do agree with you. I think if they make new rides, they should also make new lands. I really like the thought of Australia or putting Jungle Book in Asia and Lion King in Africa.

I do agree with you. I think if they make new rides, they should also make new lands. I really like the thought of Australia or putting Jungle Book in Asia and Lion King in Africa.

i have this on-going idea for a Lion King ride where you're flying over the Pride Lands and you'll enter a showbuilding that is part dark ride and shows a scene from the movie. they could do so much with that movie in Africa, and Jungle Book in Asia. i kind of understand why they aren't, but at this point there are barely any options left if they won't make any additional lands other than Pandora.

i think i'd prefer having the world of Pandora in DAK more than the movie Avatar. i mean like having the look and design of Pandora be the land, but there is little actual representation in it, cause honestly the landscaping is good enough for me.

i think i'd prefer having the world of Pandora in DAK more than the movie Avatar. i mean like having the look and design of Pandora be the land, but there is little actual representation in it, cause honestly the landscaping is good enough for me.

Just like every non-Potter fan who loves the Wizarding World. All I'll say is if the motorbike coaster comes, I will be going to Pandora. If not, screw them.

I'm not a Potter fan, but do enjoy WWOHP. I don't love it(still bitter about Lost Continent's demise), but do hope Pandora has a positive effect on Avatar-haters, similar to what WWOHP has done to me.

i agree...i had never seen a HP movie before i went to WWOHP when i got home i watched all of them... hopefully with the moving of FOTLK (construction starting on monday) avatar is a go

Sorry for being late to the party here, but what is exactly happening to FOTLK? Is that whole area (Camp Minnie Mickey) heading out the door?

Sorry for being late to the party here, but what is exactly happening to FOTLK? Is that whole area (Camp Minnie Mickey) heading out the door?
They are starting contruction on the new FOTLK theatre behind Tusker House on Monday. FOTLK will continue to run in it's current location until the new location is ready to open.

They are starting contruction on the new FOTLK theatre behind Tusker House on Monday. FOTLK will continue to run in it's current location until the new location is ready to open.

Alright thank you! Just looked at a park map again to see where Tusker House is, and honestly it would make sense to move FOTLK to Africa.

Nothing else really in CMM worth metioning, from the looks of it, it seems like this is where they would do it if anything!

Alright thank you! Just looked at a park map again to see where Tusker House is, and honestly it would make sense to move FOTLK to Africa.

Nothing else really in CMM worth metioning, from the looks of it, it seems like this is where they would do it if anything!
They are also in the process of moving the M&G's from CMM out into an air conditioned building (currently one of the lesser frequented shops in DAK). So CMM should, for all intents and purposes, be empty by the end of the year and whatever they plan on doing in regards to Avatar would be clear to get under way. Not saying they'd have a clue what they're going to do then, but the land would at least be ready for whatever it is they decide on. :lol:

i understand the kind of utopian view of animal kingdom and that it shouldnt be about rides but the fact is its still a theme park that charges close to 100.00 a ticket.....im gonna need more rides to make it beneficial for our family to go to

Exactly. Even being the best themed zoo in the world wouldn't justify nearly $100 for admission. It time the rides and shows that take it to the level that is expected at that price point.

To an extent, I agree with you both that people (especially Disney guests bc of the cost) expect rides when they go to theme parks. However, I feel as a theme park called Animal Kingdom, the focus should be on the animals with rides being secondary. The problem with AK is, as a zoo it's lacking the number and variety of animal exhibits to make it a top-flight zoo. As a theme park, it's lacking the rides, shows and attractions to compete with the other gates. As a result, most guests are gone by mid-afternoon.

With so many wondrous creatures and regions not currently represented in AK that could also support rides, I find it disappointing Disney is instead using imaginary aliens. They shouldn't have to rely on a marginally-entertaining Hollywood blockbusters or Disney characters to create compelling attractions at AK.

In addition, don't underestimate what people will pay to have top-of-the-line zoological experiences. Attendance at the most-visited zoo in the world, San Diego Zoo, is upwards of 5 million annually with a $44 admission. People spend thousands on ecotourism and safaris in order to see exotic animals all over the world.

I believe that if Disney uses the time, land and resources to develop top-notch animal exhibits featuring rare animals not often seen in US zoos, as well as throw in a few rides, you will attract a bigger and more varied crowd. Avatarland, as it stands, really only makes the ride fans happy (leaving zoo/animal fans out in the cold).

I'm not a Potter fan, but do enjoy WWOHP. I don't love it(still bitter about Lost Continent's demise), but do hope Pandora has a positive effect on Avatar-haters, similar to what WWOHP has done to me.
Depends on the level of wow factor Disney puts into it...it has the potential to be a fantastic expansion..or just another lame one.
I liked Avatar, I think it was a good film which could translate well into a theme park attraction..but then again so were other short lived franchises..I'm still not convinced of staying power with Avatar...I am however a firm believer that the attraction can hold its own as an attraction (see Revenge of the Mummy)

To an extent, I agree with you both that people (especially Disney guests bc of the cost) expect rides when they go to theme parks. However, I feel as a theme park called Animal Kingdom, the focus should be on the animals with rides being secondary. The problem with AK is, as a zoo it's lacking the number and variety of animal exhibits to make it a top-flight zoo. As a theme park, it's lacking the rides, shows and attractions to compete with the other gates. As a result, most guests are gone by mid-afternoon.

With so many wondrous creatures and regions not currently represented in AK that could also support rides, I find it disappointing Disney is instead using imaginary aliens. They shouldn't have to rely on a marginally-entertaining Hollywood blockbusters or Disney characters to create compelling attractions at AK.

In addition, don't underestimate what people will pay to have top-of-the-line zoological experiences. Attendance at the most-visited zoo in the world, San Diego Zoo, is upwards of 5 million annually with a $44 admission. People spend thousands on ecotourism and safaris in order to see exotic animals all over the world.

I believe that if Disney uses the time, land and resources to develop top-notch animal exhibits featuring rare animals not often seen in US zoos, as well as throw in a few rides, you will attract a bigger and more varied crowd. Avatarland, as it stands, really only makes the ride fans happy (leaving zoo/animal fans out in the cold).

To be honest, I would enjoy seeing Disney put in top-notch animal exhibits like you said, and go more for a more "zoo first, rides second mentality".

But in reality, this park is looking for the next big thing, like Everest was when it opened.

Am I worried that DAK is slowly starting to become Busch Gardens Tampa with more rides, less animals? A little bit, yes.

Actually, Busch Gardens has many more animals than DAK. I just wish they would start to get Busch Gardens' mentality! As it is, Animal Kingdom is a beautifully themed (yet overpriced) zoo with a few rides and shows.

Actually, Busch Gardens has many more animals than DAK. I just wish they would start to get Busch Gardens' mentality! As it is, Animal Kingdom is a beautifully themed (yet overpriced) zoo with a few rides and shows.

Very true..yet the rides Animal Kingdom does have i really like. Dinosaur and Everest are always must rides for me. And the Safari is always really cool especially when all the animals are out and about. I do totally agree though..Animal Kingdom definitely needs more rides. I feel like since the park is themed for animals mainly that there is ALOT of potential for other MAJOR rides and different lands.

So, I haven't read all 115 pages, but is Avatarland dead? I would assume this as the project was announced in 2011 (whilst I was last in WDW) and there's practically been NOTHING since. Lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.