Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 199 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When building the Dinosaur (Countdown to Extinction) attraction a lot of the fake foliage for the second floor of the ride was lowered into the building through a hole in the roof.

As staging they would rest the scenery on the roof of the building until it was ready to be lowered in.

One day the Disney top brass were coming in to see the progress of the attraction and the construction team was asked to clean up as much as the facade as possible.

When they arrived the facade was basically done, but construction had left the days plants on the roof and it "Ruined the reveal of the finished facade to the brass" (said some of the Imagineers and construction managers)

Top brass replied how they Loved the addition of the trees behind the top of the ride, it really gave depth to the facade and really hid the idea there was a large show building back there.

The next day they allocated a budget to add a real plant garden up there to truly sell the illusion.

So I'll hold out my hopes for those floating lollipops.....

Dinosaur.jpg

When building the Dinosaur (Countdown to Extinction) attraction a lot of the fake foliage for the second floor of the ride was lowered into the building through a hole in the roof.

As staging they would rest the scenery on the roof of the building until it was ready to be lowered in.

One day the Disney top brass were coming in to see the progress of the attraction and the construction team was asked to clean up as much as the facade as possible.

When they arrived the facade was basically done, but construction had left the days plants on the roof and it "Ruined the reveal of the finished facade to the brass" (said some of the Imagineers and construction managers)

Top brass replied how they Loved the addition of the trees behind the top of the ride, it really gave depth to the facade and really hid the idea there was a large show building back there.

The next day they allocated a budget to add a real plant garden up there to truly sell the illusion.

So I'll hold out my hopes for those floating lollipops.....

View attachment 2502
Great story! Thanks for sharing it.:clap:

plants look amazing but still is a terrible idea for a theme parks.Anyone who is around tourist will know that these plants will be completely destroyed within a few days.Also people will try to take the plants home as a free item.

plants look amazing but still is a terrible idea for a theme parks.Anyone who is around tourist will know that these plants will be completely destroyed within a few days.Also people will try to take the plants home as a free item.
Can't wait to see someone try and pull up one of those wired plants to take home.

I have a feeling that they won't rely on touch at all. WDI is likely fully aware of the potential issues, which is why I think it will be Magic Band/RFID based.

Those rocks on posts look so silly. Where could you see them from?

The blue green moss paint they have used looks horrid.

First words out of my mouth regarding the ToL when I first visited AK was "why are leaves blue/green?". Look at the real foliage in Bri's last pic. Everything is yellow/green.

I am waggin my finger in dismay...

My guess,
aerial perspective | art | Britannica.com

Helps with scale and increases "depth", like how the colors on Cars Land's Cadillac Range shift from a very warm orange palate near the bottom to a more subdued palate higher up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryno27
I have to say so far this is looking pretty good. Can't wait to actually walk in and see it in person once it is complete. I am hoping Disney pulls this one off. Because if they do, and attendance figures reflect a good job, they will be more willing to continue to do this stuff.

I have to say so far this is looking pretty good. Can't wait to actually walk in and see it in person once it is complete. I am hoping Disney pulls this one off. Because if they do, and attendance figures reflect a good job, they will be more willing to continue to do this stuff.
Attendance and merch will need to be through the roof to make back the $1bn spent on this thing in a timely manor.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Attendance and merch will need to be through the roof to make back the $1bn spent on this thing in a timely manor.

I don't think Disney has any intention of making back that 1B that fast. But if attendance and spending don't increase a good enough % at AK between this year and next year, I can see them putting the breaks on projects that have not broken ground (i.e. Epcot). They will do a wait and see approach to see if the work in DHS increasing attendance first before starting Epcot. I think if AK % increase is a certain number (not sure what that number is) they will start doing the Epcot sooner rather than later. Basically they need to see that fixing their parks is worth it. Basically, I don't think recovering the 1B is the target number, but more a % increase.

Reactions: Nick
Status
Not open for further replies.