Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happened to see that the ACE logo was featured on the first official Pandora merch item (also heavily part of the Pandora backstory) and couldn't help but notice the similarities between the ACE logo and the ISTC logo.

d23-avatar-ace.jpg

16.istc-logo-Mission-space-future-world-east-epcot-walt-disney-world.jpg

The best sequel of all time? Godfather 2 and Empire Strikes Back might have something to say about that...

I never really got into the Godfather and I think the reason for it, is that I only watched it about 5 years ago and by the time I did, I'd unwillingly watched hundreds of parodies of it so I felt like I had already seen the movie.

Personally I'd put T2 as one of the all time great films but movies are subjective.

So when it finally hits and the reviews are coming in ("Cameron does it again"), the human curiosity factor plays in and naturally people want to see what the fuss is about.
There's a lot going against the reception of the video game (biggest being it's a video game based on a movie). There was a lot going FOR the Cirque show (biggest being it was Cirque).

The world has changed drastically since 2009, but Americans still only see an average of 4 movies a year. With the ubiquity of streaming there's less NEED to see movies that aren't established as "must sees." And for almost a decade, Avatar has been known as the pretty film with no original ideas. And the wait for the sequels has made the absence of story, and the lack of sustained relevance farcical. I mean, the Avatar jokes in Bill and Ted worked because the franchise has almost become a joke.

Zoolander 2 might be our best comparison for how Avatar 2 will be received.

There's a lot going against the reception of the video game (biggest being it's a video game based on a movie). There was a lot going FOR the Cirque show (biggest being it was Cirque).

The world has changed drastically since 2009, but Americans still only see an average of 4 movies a year. With the ubiquity of streaming there's less NEED to see movies that aren't established as "must sees." And for almost a decade, Avatar has been known as the pretty film with no original ideas. And the wait for the sequels has made the absence of story, and the lack of sustained relevance farcical. I mean, the Avatar jokes in Bill and Ted worked because the franchise has almost become a joke.

so what you re saying is when Cameron and Lightstorm partners with a strong brand it will probably succeed.
i agree

Zoolander 2? Really you're going to compare a moview that broke (and still holds) the record for worldwide box office at $2.7 Billion to Zoolander?

People always underestimate James Cameron. Titanic was supposed to be the biggest flop of all time given its cost overruns. Avatar was laughed at in its 10 minute sneak peak at Comic Con. There will be countless click bait articles and roundabout discussions on forums about how bad the Avatar sequels will flop, until they don't.

James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because he is James Cameron.

People always underestimate James Cameron. Titanic was supposed to be the biggest flop of all time given its cost overruns. Avatar was laughed at in its 10 minute sneak peak at Comic Con. There will be countless click bait articles and roundabout discussions on forums about how bad the Avatar sequels will flop, until they don't.

James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because he is James Cameron.

No James Cameron does it for James Cameron. But that doesn't mean it's going to flop.

i disagree
the cirque show Toruk is one of the top grossing tours of the year and THE top cirque show

I love Cirque shows, have seen almost a dozen. Toruk was by far the only BAD one I've ever seen. I'm talking about how Orl Park Pass feels about Jimmy Fallon bad. We almost left halfway through, but figured it must get better. Nope. Terrible experience, terrible waste of money. STAY AWAY.

Oh, and I love Avatar the movie.

I love Cirque shows, have seen almost a dozen. Toruk was by far the only BAD one I've ever seen. I'm talking about how Orl Park Pass feels about Jimmy Fallon bad. We almost left halfway through, but figured it must get better. Nope. Terrible experience, terrible waste of money. STAY AWAY.

Oh, and I love Avatar the movie.
i understand but that still doesnt take away from the fact its the top grossing cirque show this year and one of the top grossing tours this year
but point taken
i havent seen it nor do i care to

Zoolander 2? Really you're going to compare a moview that broke (and still holds) the record for worldwide box office at $2.7 Billion to Zoolander?
Yep. Because they're both cultural flash in the pans that have been generally forgotten by the public except as mindless, one-note fluff. There is/was no tangible desire for either sequel, despite financial returns on both films. Zoolander 2 flopped hard.

Avatar kick-started the prevalence of 3D, and it's one-note was that we hadn't seen anything like it before. But we HAVE now, and there's a new 3D blockbuster coming out every other week. The uniqueness of it has disappeared completely, and the story lacking to a point where there's not even a viable market for extended canon.

Money doesn't equal popularity. That's why it's so common for sequels to flop.

EDIT - Here, this something crazy to think about relevance in the zeitgeist: Fan Fiction. The top 15 movies on Fanfiction.net, by number of stories written in their worlds, includes Pirates of the Caribbean, High School Musical, and Labrynth. Inception has twice as many stories as Avatar. Avatar has fewer stories written about it than Van Hesling, Four Brothers, and Treasure Planet. You want an idea of how much people don't care about Avatar or the canon expanding, there you go.

Last edited:
I wonder how many people that saw Avatar would have no idea what you are talking about if you told them Disney is opening Pandora.

Status
Not open for further replies.