Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
While all the moving parts look great now, I have to wonder how long it will last especially when it comes to the AA figure. Maintenance on water rides is tough so we shall see if those spinning and floating things are still spinning and floating around a year from now.

As far as the length goes, that is a major issue for a ride of this scale. Were talking a whole minute shorter than Frozen and that ride feels SO short! Pirates at Shanghai is nearly 10 minutes and that feels like a good length.

I would prefer a ride that was close to 6:00 (minutes, not hours) long. That feels like a good ride time. If I am going to wait a while, I would like some payoff at the end. Still, the ride looks really interesting from what little we've seen. I am also looking forward to Flight of Passage (if that is what it is called). However, this quality shows what Disney can actually do and it is frustrating that they don't do this more often.

Imagine if they had built a third ride, maybe another dark ride and then had all of the exterior themed. They could have lost some of the concrete work and just decorated the fronts of the buildings. Oh well.

I would prefer a ride that was close to 6:00 (minutes, not hours) long. That feels like a good ride time. If I am going to wait a while, I would like some payoff at the end. Still, the ride looks really interesting from what little we've seen. I am also looking forward to Flight of Passage (if that is what it is called). However, this quality shows what Disney can actually do and it is frustrating that they don't do this more often.

Imagine if they had built a third ride, maybe another dark ride and then had all of the exterior themed. They could have lost some of the concrete work and just decorated the fronts of the buildings. Oh well.

I will agree that this shows what Disney can do, but it has also taken far to many years to build. It will be almost 6 years from the time they announced it to the time it opened. In comparison, it took Universal 7 years (from announcement in 2007 to Diagon opening in 2014) to build two highly themed lands with three highly themed rides. Also, cost was just insane. The projected budget was $500 million but with the lengthy construction time, i'm positive they went over that. In comparison, Everest cost roughly $100 million. The entire park costs roughly one billion.

We have all known that Disney can produce great things, but they need to pick up the speed while decreasing costs. I feel like it was a real gutsy move to announce Star Wars Land is opening in 2019. That is only three years after the announcement was made and Disney can never build anything from the ground up that fast.

I will agree that this shows what Disney can do, but it has also taken far to many years to build. It will be almost 6 years from the time they announced it to the time it opened. In comparison, it took Universal 7 years (from announcement in 2007 to Diagon opening in 2014) to build two highly themed lands with three highly themed rides. Also, cost was just insane. The projected budget was $500 million but with the lengthy construction time, i'm positive they went over that. In comparison, Everest cost roughly $100 million. The entire park costs roughly one billion.

We have all known that Disney can produce great things, but they need to pick up the speed while decreasing costs. I feel like it was a real gutsy move to announce Star Wars Land is opening in 2019. That is only three years after the announcement was made and Disney can never build anything from the ground up that fast.

Sure Disney is slow, but that was the old Imagineering before the cuts and "reimagining of Imagineering". New Disney can do it.

Completely agree. Way too long for build time.

According to the description of The View for Thursday Whoopi Goldberg will tour Pandora with Cameron. She was photographed in a Haunted Mansion costume today greeting guests. They're doing a whole week of shows from the parks.

Is this the shortest boat ride Disney's built? I wonder how long it will feel once you're on it.

This looks absolutely incredible. As much as I don't get using Avatar from a relevance stand point (I'm also not too crazy about the IP as a whole), I feel it has a really nice aesthetic and I was hoping they'd really go to town with how visually stunning it could be. They have not disappointed.

Is this the shortest boat ride Disney's built? I wonder how long it will feel once you're on it.
By about 30 seconds.

I believe it's @Disneyhead that has said the ride will clock in at approximately 3:56. Maelstrom was 4:27 according to wikipedia.

I'm not necessarily worried about the time (yet) as I think with the ride being fairly screen heavy, a lot more will be able to happen than your average Disney boat ride, where you typically just pass by set pieces and AAs.

This may be one of those rides where the queue out-shines the ride though as Martin has said the queue is amazing and very long.

What's sad is that BOTH Potter lands combined cost far less than Pandora. I've heard that land's cost had inflated to nearly $1 billion dollars. That's just ridiculous for two rides.

People are obsessed with cost

Check the financials...Disney aren't short of a penny or 2. And they've since awoken from their decade long slumber and see the potential in expanding their stateside parks. New guy in charge of Parks wants to make his own mark...Pandora isn't his.

I'm actually glad for once, that it feels like Disney has gone the whole hog with this and we're getting what will probably be the most impressively themed land in the world, and not some half baked cop out.

So, it's going to be half the time of the Gran Fiesta Tour, and that always felt short to me. Never realized it was that long. ....That's a nice find, I'm going to have to remember this page. :thumbsup:
IF the ride is only 4 minutes i get the feeling people will leave the ride saying man this could ve been incredible if it were a little longer
5-6 minutes would ve been perfect
again this is all based on rumor

IF the ride is only 4 minutes i get the feeling people will leave the ride saying man this could ve been incredible if it were a little longer
5-6 minutes would ve been perfect
again this is all based on rumor
Yeah, like 7 Dwarfs all over again. I really like 7 Dwarfs for what was there, but it needed more (two more dark scenes) to be up there with the other mountain attractions.....Well, I guess we'll find out about this when we get an opportunity to ride it.

Status
Not open for further replies.