Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yep, I get that that is the point. I was not trying to knock imagineerings creativity. I'm really just trying to point out why I think'why Avatar' comes from a place that knows Disney can do better. Even within Iger's mandate to build franchises...why not build on Figment...why not build on something Pixar?

I imagine folks would see me as pro Universal/anti Disney and I do not see it that way. My 401K allows me to buy and sell on the public exchanges and Disney has added a ton to my retirement funds...but, as a cunsomer, as a FL resident that only wants one AP for the Orlando area (as it is still a couple of hundred miles away from where I live, UOR gets my money...but it is largely because Disney lets me down more...I mean, this is the first (real) new thing Disney has done since Magic Bands hit the scene and I am glad there is more coming.

Just saying my negativity towards the mouse comes from knowing they could be doing better (my opinion).

Your point of reference is definitely a valid one. But I was blown away by FoP in a way that Disney just hasn't been able to accomplish in years. And in that sense, I'm choosing to see this as a stepping stone towards something better. Much in that way that I loathe Jimmy Fallon, but understand that it shows a very important step forward in innovation. FoP specifically shows that when given the chance, Imagineering can still crush an E-ticket. So in that way, Avatar has put a lot of my Star Wars fears at ease. I wouldn't have expected them to jump straight from NFL to Diagon. But in my mind, this shows they can at least begin to reach those heights.

Arn't you a moderator? The same thing can be said about Universal.
I know right.

There was blue construction tape on the steel supports for Krakatau at the grand opening. What on Earth? Universal has yet to impress me since Diagon, and thus far, they haven't proved that they can reach Potter-levels without Warner Bros. Lately, Universal has put out nothing spectacular. Kong was good, but could've been 1000x better. Fallon sucked. Hulk re-do sucked. F&F is sure to suck. Volcano Bay is a complete mess, and a disappointment everywhere you turn.

I have no desire to see a Nintendo land, primarily because the IP actively annoys me. However, I fear that is their only hope to prove they can accomplish something worthwhile again. That said, I'm not holding out much hope.

Shout it from the roof so everyone can hear.

I'm over 50 and have no desire to learn how social media works. I use this site as a distraction, I can use it for it reminds me of the days of 'rec.music.phish' bulletin board styled interwebs.

I should not have to explain my motives to have a discussion. I stated things uder Avatar based on what I saw here whenever folks knocked the movie's relevance...postures seemed to take a UNI vs. Disney (that feels like I need to walk on eggshells) whenever I want to talk Disney.

I read stuff on the VB discussion...where I see great points/discussions where folks Express where they see UNI's mis-steps...and it becomes brand defending.

I just do not see how this stuff works if everyone must explain their motivations if they want to have a discussion.

I'm over 50 and have no desire to learn how social media works. I use this site as a distraction, I can use it for it reminds me of the days of 'rec.music.phish' bulletin board styled interwebs.

I should not have to explain my motives to have a discussion. I stated things uder Avatar based on what I saw here whenever folks knocked the movie's relevance...postures seemed to take a UNI vs. Disney (that feels like I need to walk on eggshells) whenever I want to talk Disney.

I read stuff on the VB discussion...where I see great points/discussions where folks Express where they see UNI's mis-steps...and it becomes brand defending.

I just do not see how this stuff works if everyone must explain their motivations if they want to have a discussion.

My post was in support of that statement.

Reactions: Frogki
Yep, I get that that is the point. I was not trying to knock imagineerings creativity. I'm really just trying to point out why I think'why Avatar' comes from a place that knows Disney can do better. Even within Iger's mandate to build franchises...why not build on Figment...why not build on something Pixar?

I imagine folks would see me as pro Universal/anti Disney and I do not see it that way. My 401K allows me to buy and sell on the public exchanges and Disney has added a ton to my retirement funds...but, as a cunsomer, as a FL resident that only wants one AP for the Orlando area (as it is still a couple of hundred miles away from where I live, UOR gets my money...but it is largely because Disney lets me down more...I mean, this is the first (real) new thing Disney has done since Magic Bands hit the scene and I am glad there is more coming.

Just saying my negativity towards the mouse comes from knowing they could be doing better (my opinion).
One of the things that made "Avatar" so popular was the sheer beauty of the world. People who saw it were actually depressed after it was over because it became so real for them. I think thats part of the selling point is the ability to recapture that beauty. I know when I rode FoP today it brought back the memories of seeing the film in IMAX 3_D and how awesome that was (not counting the ride itself, which caused me to have my mouth agape a good part of the time).

Impresssed. Park opened at 8 today, no EMH this morning but let anyone who was there in at 7 to the park, and opened Pandora for them all to enjoy. Was there any major ride downtime yesterday?

Reactions: snayberry
Last edited:
Reactions: Evan
Are people actually bidding that much or is that just the listed price? If people are bidding that, I expect Disney to raise prices in the not too distant future.
The reason they are that high is lack of supply. That does not mean disney should raise the in park price.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The reason they are that high is lack of supply. That does not mean disney should raise the in park price.
Yep. The same thing used to happen with the Star Wars weekends merchandise. The professional sellers hit the stores. They're there to make a profit, probably couldn't care less about the rides.

Yep. The same thing used to happen with the Star Wars weekends merchandise. The professional sellers hit the stores. They're there to make a profit, probably couldn't care less about the rides.

There's a stable business of buying new merch by the rack full and reselling on eBay. Even if the merch is easy to come by the eBay hawks come. I remember someone buying out all the Trader Sam's Hawaiian shirts one day for eBay only to have a full new supply out the next day.

Reactions: Ryan and Mad Dog