Photograpy Don'ts in the Park | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Photograpy Don'ts in the Park

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As long as there are cameras there will be....

Isn't the point of Hogwarts castle at IOA a tour? Don't people take pictures on a tour? I would.

Queues are one thing, so I agree. But on the ride itself, I'll hurt someone. :lol:

Except Mansion. No flash anywhere. You have no idea how much "No Flash" means to the people at Haunted Mansion.

No, indoor queues are meant to sustain their lighting and color schemes. Blinding people within the queues is just not right. A simple enforcing of the 'No Flash' rule on all indoor queues and rides would be so helpful to everyone involved, and it's just one simple setting that people can change on their $150 point and shoots. For professional shoots or the like, there are plenty of shots procured by people with low-light sensors. If people were more focused on viewing the queue instead of trying to shoot it with so many people behind them, the entire experience would be so much better.

No, indoor queues are meant to sustain their lighting and color schemes. Blinding people within the queues is just not right. A simple enforcing of the 'No Flash' rule on all indoor queues and rides would be so helpful to everyone involved, and it's just one simple setting that people can change on their $150 point and shoots. For professional shoots or the like, there are plenty of shots procured by people with low-light sensors. If people were more focused on viewing the queue instead of trying to shoot it with so many people behind them, the entire experience would be so much better.

I get aggreaveted too, but in a queue, especially one I've been through thousands of times, I can live with people taking pictures. Keep in mind, the average person probably only goes to Orlando seldomly, if at all. If this is their only chance to take pictures of the memories, than so be it. However, the rules state on the ride, no flash, so they better listen at that point.

I mean, if they want pictures for themselves, then take some of themselves. I don't mind people using their cameras for the occasional snapshot anywhere or anytime outside, or if they want to take some shots heading in of themselves, but I don't understand the logic of using cameras that will not give a good visual in darkness, especially when there are probably hundreds of shots of the same exact thing elsewhere. They probably won't even see those images unless there are people that they care about in them. Cameras are beautiful things. The little flashes on them aren't.

The general park guest most likely doesn't have the slightest clue about photography or lighting. That is where a large part of the problem is. But there is nothing you can really do about that. You can't force somebody to learn.

In a perfect world, everybody would learn the basics, and those who didn't would be flogged. Case and point.

I don't mind the flash... If there at a theme park for the first time lets them capture things.. its not that big of a problem... honestly lol.

The general park guest most likely doesn't have the slightest clue about photography or lighting. That is where a large part of the problem is. But there is nothing you can really do about that. You can't force somebody to learn.

In a perfect world, everybody would learn the basics, and those who didn't would be flogged. Case and point.

So very true. Some of it is common sense though, you see signs everywhere about flash photography and even hear warnings on some rides and yet you still see people doing it. Same thing when you go to the movies also.

I mean, I figure it's always going to happen, but it can be lessened with all employees enforcing the rule. Being an artist, however, yields me to respect the decisions of the set designers. No one takes pictures when they're at a Broadway show unless they wish to be kicked out. If Universal can enforce a locker rule, this can be a thing too.

But I have found my solution, which is to go during off-season, or when only respectful locals come. :lol:

I actually had a talk with a guest one day who I ended up riding alone with on the Seuss Trolley. A nice girl; she was telling me about how she was scared to take pictures in the park. Apparently, she had whipped out her camera just before boarding the Cat in the Hat. I explained to her why it was such a hazard, and the park rules, and whatnot. She was very gracious, and I told her to take pictures whenever she could, as long as she wasn't on a ride. I came to find that she hadn't made her way to the WWOHP yet, so I told her if she wanted nice pictures, ask to go through the castle tours, and then go again to ride.

It's all just an issue with common sense. I could imagine what would have happened if the TM hadn't stopped her at the Cat in the Hat.

If I try to take a picture and some snob walks right through it that just pisses me off, and like alot of you said taking pics on a dark ride is a BIG nono in my book.

One thing I can't stand is when someone goes to take a picture from the complete opposite side of a main walkway. You can't expect EVERYONE to stop walking. Go about halfway and I'll be happy to walk behind you, but take up the whole thing and I (along with 100s of other people) keep walking.

I 100% agree about pictures on dark rides being a nono as well.

So I guess this one of a proud mom casting a spell of "Magic Milk" at WWHP this past Summer is totally out of the question.

img1283fz.jpg

I would have blurred the face first before uploading it.

^ In all honesty, if she felt comfortable doing this out in the open then, I don't think it would have mattered in a picture now.

Hmm, maybe someone can help & maybe relate. I really wanted to take good full frame pictures of all of the paintings in the FJ queu. Rules or not, I'm the type of person who hates making people wait on MY behalf, or inconveniencing anyone. So between that & not wanting to worry about crowds of people behind me who just want to get by me & get to the ride, I logically tried doing this by going through the "tour only" queue. It was perfect, no one around but me basically, so I was free to snap away.

Only 1 problem.

Now I dont have a fancy DSLR, just a cheapo Canon digital camera. So any pic Id take with the flash of any of the moving portrait paintings, the portrait in the picture would be missing! Of course this is due to the fact that theyre really tv screens, but man! & as you know, the lighting is VERY low, so taking without the flash is just as bad. So any tips on how to get somewhat decent pics of those paintings? & I know the pics can be enhanced a bit more in a computer program with brightening them up with brightness & contrast, but what could I do while taking the pics to help out?

Hmm, maybe someone can help & maybe relate. I really wanted to take good full frame pictures of all of the paintings in the FJ queu. Rules or not, I'm the type of person who hates making people wait on MY behalf, or inconveniencing anyone. So between that & not wanting to worry about crowds of people behind me who just want to get by me & get to the ride, I logically tried doing this by going through the "tour only" queue. It was perfect, no one around but me basically, so I was free to snap away.

Only 1 problem.

Now I dont have a fancy DSLR, just a cheapo Canon digital camera. So any pic Id take with the flash of any of the moving portrait paintings, the portrait in the picture would be missing! Of course this is due to the fact that theyre really tv screens, but man! & as you know, the lighting is VERY low, so taking without the flash is just as bad. So any tips on how to get somewhat decent pics of those paintings? & I know the pics can be enhanced a bit more in a computer program with brightening them up with brightness & contrast, but what could I do while taking the pics to help out?

I am by no means a photographer yet; I'm still figuring out my camera. But that situation is a very basic tradeoff. In low light situations, you will need a slow shutter speed in order to capture the most light. The problem is that the projections are moving, so a slow shutter speed will make the image blurry, even if you have a tripod. Now that I think about it, you probably can't adjust your shutter speed with a P&S. So if you can put your camera in some kind of Night Mode and get at least a monopod, it might help :shrug: Sorry I can't be of more help!

That's a tough one to pull off even with a mid level DSLR. A more expensive DSLR that can handle high ISO with low noise would be the best bet. As for your point and shoot, check your settings, you might be able to adjust your ISO and raising that will help take pictures in lower light but by doing that you will sacrifice a cleaner picture for one with some noise. You can also try taking shots using the flash but see if can adjust the flash to be not so intense.