Revenge of the Mummy (USH) | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy (USH)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Monsters would have been cool, but I'll bet my AP that DK land makes more money on merch, the bands/games, and so on. Plus DK is pretty family friendly compared and of course a new film is coming out for DK in a few years.

I'd love a Monsters area.....if they can get more land like the rumored WB merger and use more of the studio for Monster's land

(to the people upset at Monstersland not being as relevant as DK, blame Universal not me. Literally Warewolf by Night in 50 mins has done what Universal could not with the monsters they created almost 100 years ago...name the last movie that feature a core monster....that would be the mummy)
Um…..no one said DK is never happening ever. Also I’m willing to bet Mummy will probably be still around by the time EU opens so that should be enough time to gauge the success of Monsters land to bring it over here in some form.

Um…..no one said DK is never happening ever. Also I’m willing to bet Mummy will probably be still around by the time EU opens so that should be enough time to gauge the success of Monsters land to bring it over here in some form.
Sure, but DK will just make more sense money wise but with FF coaster Universal seems not to always care about what rides they put somewhere and if it makes them more money or not.

Monsters while loved because just has not had one good movie since the Mummy, while DK is about to get a film after mario and the land will just have more things that appeal to families and they bring in the big bucks for theme parks.

Monsters also get a maze like every other year at least...so not like they can't keep making money off the Monsters IP even if they aren't full time in the parks as a ride

Not to go off topic but that Werewolf by Night special did less with its similar runtime of most of the core classic Universal Monster movies. It was good for marvel standards though, something of theirs of late finally looked good aesthetically.
Its literally universally loved, Universal has tried like 5+ times to get a Monsters Universe going the past 20 years even fun dumb films like van helsing and league of extraordinary gentlemen just have no critical or financial positives. Its the first time since 1999 that any Monsters got a real story about them that was well done and liked by pretty much everyone. If Universal wanted the Monsters to become a thing again they need to hire the right directors and do a Phase one where NONE of the monster stories connect until they can make modern day good origins for the characters and then try to have them fight each other etc

And people can correct me, while many love Monsters because of HHN I doubt most kids even have seen the classic monster movies and so each generation they will become less relevant unless Universal makes some new films that people like.....or I guess they can let the MCU have their versions and just try to profit off the love of those monsters

Last edited:
Sure, but DK will just make more sense money wise but with FF coaster Universal seems not to always care about what rides they put somewhere and if it makes them more money or not.

Monsters while loved because just has not had one good movie since the Mummy, while DK is about to get a film after mario and the land will just have more things that appeal to families and they bring in the big bucks for theme parks.

Monsters also get a maze like every other year at least...so not like they can't keep making money off the Monsters IP even if they aren't full time in the parks as a ride
We get it. You want more Nintendo. Personally I think USH needs a big thrill ride more than it needs a land based off a B-lister Nintendo property that won't even be connected to SNW proper. And I think with Monster Land (and F&F coaster), part of what Uni might be wanting to do is leverage their own in-house properties (like they do with HHN as you mentioned), and Monsters is probably one of their most iconic properties to date.

We get it. You want more Nintendo. Personally I think USH needs a big thrill ride more than it needs a land based off a B-lister Nintendo property that won't even be connected to SNW proper. And I think with Monster Land (and F&F coaster), part of what Uni might be wanting to do is leverage their own in-house properties (like they do with HHN as you mentioned), and Monsters is probably one of their most iconic properties to date.
Read my above post....but while older people may love the monsters. I dont know one younger person who has ever seen the old films and as time goes on they become less relevant

So insult DK all you want, Families know who he is and I bet if asked would rather see DK over characters from 100 years ago that Universal can't seem to make a new movie about, while MCU knocked it out of the park in one special

Also people on HERE want big rides. Out there nooooooo one cares about trills 6 Flags isn't doing that great, and while Sea World is doing fine its not Disney or Universal. People want characters they love on great attractions, thats it. It can be a coaster or a dark ride, doesn't matter as long as the IP is in demand. Which Nintendo is with its what 5 shops already open before the land is. The mummy doesn't even have a shop, thats how not in demand these classic characters are, they get lots of merch at Halloween then gone.

(also like i said in my first post, I'm not against a monsterland but DK is going to draw more people in and make them more money and should be done first.....then sure if they have more land why not have Monsters )

For my money, they should just level the entire park and turn it into Nintendo. Sayonara, Mummy, here comes Donkey Kong! Simpsons? Pshh. Hello, Starfox! Minions? Get out of here and make way for Pikmin. Harry Potter? Old and busted, time for Zelda!

Let me make it clear that this is a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freak
Read my above post....but while older people may love the monsters. I dont know one younger person who has ever seen the old films and as time goes on they become less relevant
But that's my point, Universal is clearly trying to change that and leveraging their theme parks to do so. The Dark Universe may have failed but that still showed that they WANT people to start caring about those properties again. And TBH everyone can still recognize Frankenstein. Families just got SLoP and now they're getting SNW and I'm sure they'll get more but not everything needs to be aimed at just families (and it's not like the DK ride is gonna be without hight restriction anyways if we're talking about younger families)

Sure merch sales are an important factor but not the end-all-be-all. It's too reductive to simplify new offerings down to that only point.

Reactions: salismetho
For my money, they should just level the entire park and turn it into Nintendo. Sayonara, Mummy, here comes Donkey Kong! Simpsons? Pshh. Hello, Starfox! Minions? Get out of here and make way for Pikmin. Harry Potter? Old and busted, time for Zelda!
lol

We are talking about the Mummy not Potter. I think more Potter would draw people in but think Upper lot makes more sense (or the area where the Tram is now)

As for simpsons yeah, a Pokemon land would draw in more money/People then any IP I can think of besides Potter.

But that's my point, Universal is clearly trying to change that and leveraging their theme parks to do so. The Dark Universe may have failed but that still showed that they WANT people to start caring about those properties again. And TBH everyone can still recognize Frankenstein. Families just got SLoP and now they're getting SNW and I'm sure they'll get more but not everything needs to be aimed at just families (and it's not like the DK ride is gonna be without hight restriction anyways if we're talking about younger families)
Which is perfect. Big Thunder is a family ride, not everything has to be giant thrills to be fun.

Disney figured this out years ago
Sure merch sales are an important factor but not the end-all-be-all. It's too reductive to simplify new offerings down to that only point.
Its not just sales its factors like will X brand bring in this many people, what new types of theming can we do with X brand.

People on here think all Nintendo games look the same...when a Zelda land in no way will feel like Mario land or DK.
DK is a jungle land that fits perfect with Jurassic next door.

I see just many people on here want USH from the 90s all the classic movies they used to make...well they can do that but wont draw in more guests its why they partnered with Simpsons, Potter and Now Nintendo because these IPs will draw people in and they will spend more, spending more leads to more new rides and better and bigger Christmas/HHN events, not to mention all the jobs these HUGE Ips bring in. Look at the staffing of Potterland vs a normal land

Last edited:
Its the first time since 1999 that any Monsters got a real story about them that was well done and liked by pretty much everyone.

I wouldn't say the story was really the strong suit with that Marvel adaptation, tbh that's what I thought was lacking. It wasn't very memorable but it was cute.

As a younger person who watched the movies for the first time this year, it's not like the big popular monsters aren't timeless cause they are.

Also didn't Invisible Man do well? I know it's different from the original but that kinda counts (and is a Universal monster).

Last edited:
At what point does Universal become a collection of licensed IP's, rather than based off the core Universal brand? These licensing fees really are gonna start adding up over time, especially now that Universal brass has admitted they have no IP.

Ok I guess sure Pokemon and DK will do well, this is one of the easiest things to guess of all time. But just like what people say Potter did to Orlando in oversaturation, could easily happen as well with Nintendo. What works well is an overall diversity in IP, intensity, and demographics.

At what point does Universal become a collection of licensed IP's, rather than based off the core Universal brand? These licensing fees really are gonna start adding up over time, especially now that Universal brass has admitted they have no IP.

Ok I guess sure Pokemon and DK will do well, this is one of the easiest things to guess of all time. But just like what people say Potter did to Orlando in oversaturation, could easily happen as well with Nintendo. What works well is an overall diversity in IP, intensity, and demographics.
I thought Universal Orlando just had a major year and is catching up to Disney

I think they really only have Monsters (excluding Mummy) and Shrek as popular/widely known family friendly-ish franchise IP that don't have ride/land presence at USH.

I would say Nintendo has less opportunity to feel oversaturated like Potter since each game is very different and have their own universes vs one wizarding world. Nintendo should open their own theme park honestly.

To those thinking it's DK 'OR' Monsters land perhaps you should take another look and the space available on the LL when you take out Mummy and the planned stage removals behind and above it - there is room for at least 2 large themed lands on the scale of Hoggsmead, and thats even without the other side of SNW which is still the most logical location for DK.

Thats exactly why we are getting a F&F themed coaster and why something like a Monsters land is more likely. Plus they bought Dreamworks & Illumination and there is still plenty they could do with those, particularly Dreamworks.

Universal definitely need more of their own home grown IP's. We need another golden age like they had from Jaws all the way through to Jurassic Park in 93.