Rivers of Light General Discussion and Photos | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Rivers of Light General Discussion and Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The preview just ended and apparently got a standing ovation (although what would you expect from a bunch of people who are munching on pixie dust?). From what people were saying on twitter, the show needed to reset 7 minutes in because two floats came very close to hitting each other. There are several bloggers there who got in as a CM's guest, so hopefully we get some reviews later.

Either way, a snag like that during a CM preview can't be good for regular showings. Hopefully things go better during tomorrows preview.

Reactions: JoeCamel
From what I'm seeing, the replies coming out are more of "So-and-so" with "It's great but..". And yes, there are those calling Rivers of Light to be an fantastic show, but it seems like as I have had the feeling since CM Previews have first came out in news; this is not ready. Nor, should it be previewing to CM's unless if they just want it out there and done with.

While to its credit, this is most likely going down as a technological feat of WDI and entertainment, but outside of that; it's going to be as a "meh" to "It's good, but there are problems".

While to its credit, this is most likely going down as a technological feat of WDI and entertainment, but outside of that; it's going to be as a "meh" to "It's good, but there are problems".

To play Devil's Advocate, the same has been said about Gringott's and Kong.

Reactions: rioriz
During CM previews you're pretty much guaranteed things won't work. They're designed to add a human element.

Especially with a "live" show - elements that some creative or artist has been self wanking over for months may fall entirely flat. I've worked on theatrical shows where an early public preview for staff families was entirely a political move to take down someone's ego about various elements.

It also starts the transition where the operational staff seizes control from the creative and build teams. When poop doesn't work on a daily basis it will get scrapped by operations regardless of if it is creative's darling.

During CM previews you're pretty much guaranteed things won't work. They're designed to add a human element.

Especially with a "live" show - elements that some creative or artist has been self wanking over for months may fall entirely flat. I've worked on theatrical shows where an early public preview for staff families was entirely a political move to take down someone's ego about various elements.

It also starts the transition where the operational staff seizes control from the creative and build teams. When poop doesn't work on a daily basis it will get scrapped by operations regardless of if it is creative's darling.

If I'm reading the problems correctly, the biggest problem is the self driving boats. If that is a problem on a daily basis, can they really scrap it without redesigning pretty much everything?

Only if they can prove to someone who is so fundamentally deluded and surrounded by yes men that they're blind to the issue...

By, ya know, putting it in front of an audience and filling the bushes with crickets to crescendo during what the deluded thinks is a monumental moment in theatrical presentation.

Reactions: tielo
A Round-up of some RoL reviews. Certainly not anything stellar:

"Overall, this is NOT a nightcap to your day at Animal Kingdom. We’re still not 100% sure on calling it a nighttime spectacular, but it’s definitely something… just not sure if that something warranted a seven month delay. We went in with low expectations and were blown away by the technology used, but were left wanting more by the finale... This belongs at Sea World as of right now, not at Disney’s Animal Kingdom." - WDWNT

"Overall, the show (in its current form) has the ability to underwhelm guests. It will be a beautiful thing to watch, but will have no lasting effect or payoff for the guest. I hope that what we saw tonight wasn’t the finished product, or if it is, Disney continues to work on a version 2.0 of the show immediately." - Blog Mickey

"Based on tonight’s preview, it is clear that Rivers of Light is something special, and very different from the other Walt Disney World nighttime shows. It’s closest relative would be Reflections of Earth, but it is of course not a firework show. Perhaps the biggest criticism we have from the preview, is that there isn't a real sense of finale or conclusion. Somewhat like a song that fades out, the show concludes in a way that might leave some wanting more." - WDW Magic

According to WDW Magic, the show is 18 minutes in length.

Last edited:
A Round-up of some RoL reviews. Certainly not anything stellar:

"Overall, this is NOT a nightcap to your day at Animal Kingdom. We’re still not 100% sure on calling it a nighttime spectacular, but it’s definitely something… just not sure if that something warranted a seven month delay. We went in with low expectations and were blown away by the technology used, but were left wanting more by the finale... This belongs at Sea World as of right now, not at Disney’s Animal Kingdom." - WDWNT

"Overall, the show (in its current form) has the ability to underwhelm guests. It will be a beautiful thing to watch, but will have no lasting effect or payoff for the guest. I hope that what we saw tonight wasn’t the finished product, or if it is, Disney continues to work on a version 2.0 of the show immediately." - Blog Mickey

"Based on tonight’s preview, it is clear that Rivers of Light is something special, and very different from the other Walt Disney World nighttime shows. It’s closest relative would be Reflections of Earth, but it is of course not a firework show. Perhaps the biggest criticism we have from the preview, is that there isn't a real sense of finale or conclusion. Somewhat like a song that fades out, the show concludes in a way that might leave some wanting more." - WDW Magic

According to WDW Magic, the show is 18 minutes in length.
Sounds like they need to work on this to come up with an entertaining finished product.

It sounds a bit like Kong in that there are serious wi-fi or local gps communications issues.

Well it's more complicated it seems than Kong. You have waves, floats producing thrust from fountains that then have to be stabilized, guided boats with actors, and all of these have to be synchronized and they cross paths all the time.

I am legit curious if this thing officially opens. Similar to how MM+ customized features were up for a week then taken down.

Reactions: SeventyOne
How do they stop and stabilize the globe in Illuminations? It moves in middle of show. I kind of obsessed on the videos recently and could not figure it out...
I believe it uses some pretty old infrared guidance based technology and self anchors when it reaches its final position. It is much easier to control one boat around nonmoving barges and land than it is to control multiple boats at the same time.

I believe it uses some pretty old infrared guidance based technology and self anchors when it reaches its final position. It is much easier to control one boat around nonmoving barges and land than it is to control multiple boats at the same time.

Exactly, plus it's not like the thing exerts crazy forces the 90 seconds it takes to go from parking lot to parking lot.

Umm, a human being drives the earth globe in Illuminations.
Are you sure? I know it is placed before the show on lake by a human driver, but during the show I thought it was remotely controlled.

EDIT: Oh! Ok, so it apparently is driven by a human who uses an infrared guidance system as an assistance.

How clueless I can be!:doh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel