Rogue One - A Star Wars Story | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Rogue One - A Star Wars Story

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The best characters were K2 and Chirrut. Nobody else went beyond serviceable, and that's one of the movie's major problems.
In any other SW movie this would be make or break... but because everything else was handled so well and the limited time we had, we were never going to get to learn everything about these characters. Hell, we really don't get most of our answers in the original trilogy until Return of the Jedi. For example: as much as everyone love them, we knew very little about Obi-Wan and Boba Fett before they died shortly after being introduced.

Also, the third act/ending were very possibly the best in any SW movie.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
In any other SW movie this would be make or break... but because everything else was handled so well and the limited time we had, we were never going to get to learn everything about these characters. Hell, we really don't get most of our answers in the original trilogy until Return of the Jedi. For example: as much as everyone love them, we knew very little about Obi-Wan and Boba Fett before they died shortly after being introduced.

Also, the third act/ending were very possibly the best in any SW movie.
It's not a valid excuse for me. I don't care what kind of movie it is; all movies should have interesting characters. The emotional payoffs could have been much better if the movie developed character arcs.

It's not a valid excuse for me. I don't care what kind of movie it is; all movies should have interesting characters. The emotional payoffs could have been much better if the movie developed character arcs.
I'm not making excuses because as I stated above your initial post, I thought most of the main characters were compelling enough to where I actually DID care.

We may not have learned an insane amount about themselves personally, but their personalities shined, making up for any lack of character knowledge. If any character was a bit dull, it was Cassian.

Again, the movie was 2 hours and 15 minutes as it was... there's only so much story telling you can do with a cast that large. It's worth mentioning that Felicity Jones has a "sequel" option on her contract while the other actors don't. I could see Jyn being brought over to the Han Solo or Luke Skywalker projects.

I am going to say this first. Only because I need to..

This film, is better than The Force Awakens. It has a much more natural flow in my opinion, no moment felt off to me, and the best way I can classify this film is if you play Halo Reach. You know what the hell is going to happen, but it's the way they do it that can be hit or miss. For Halo Reach, it's very miss due to just some real problems in the writing department with that title in the Halo series.

For this film, everything about it felt very fluid and easy to atleast understand, while also conveying a tone that legitimately feels like a war movie. The use of Humor isn't forced, nor when it has to be edgy and dark as hell; It doesn't feel off. Plus, let us talk about the ending.

They showed Vader as a sinister and evil force that shouldn't be reckoned with so well. You felt the dread of death around the theater in my opinion as it honestly showed Vader in one of the best lights since Rebels. Speaking of Rebels, holy hell there are a LOT of tie-ins to not only SWR, but through various other forms of material scattered throughout the entire mythology of Star Wars. Like for example, the fuel that the Death Star has is the crystals that were being extracted on Jedha were actually from source material seen from particular SW books from Legends and in the new films..

Another thing is the inclusion of Tarkin and Leia. They incorporated them very easily and in a sense, it didn't feel wrong to have them in there; especially due to how it feels organic to the timeline of the SWUniverse. Everything fit the story, the environments felt very massive in it's shere scope and it is benefited by the new backgrounds of the Mythology of the new environments and places seen. All in all, an great film that I am glad to see..

RANKING:
1.)Empire
2.)New Hope
3.)Rogue One
4.)Force Awakens
5.)Return
6.)Sith
7.)Phantom
8.)Clones

I am going to say this first. Only because I need to..

This film, is better than The Force Awakens. It has a much more natural flow in my opinion, no moment felt off to me, and the best way I can classify this film is if you play Halo Reach. You know what the hell is going to happen, but it's the way they do it that can be hit or miss. For Halo Reach, it's very miss due to just some real problems in the writing department with that title in the Halo series.

For this film, everything about it felt very fluid and easy to atleast understand, while also conveying a tone that legitimately feels like a war movie. The use of Humor isn't forced, nor when it has to be edgy and dark as hell; It doesn't feel off. Plus, let us talk about the ending.

They showed Vader as a sinister and evil force that shouldn't be reckoned with so well. You felt the dread of death around the theater in my opinion as it honestly showed Vader in one of the best lights since Rebels. Speaking of Rebels, holy hell there are a LOT of tie-ins to not only SWR, but through various other forms of material scattered throughout the entire mythology of Star Wars. Like for example, the fuel that the Death Star has is the crystals that were being extracted on Jedha were actually from source material seen from particular SW books from Legends and in the new films..

Another thing is the inclusion of Tarkin and Leia. They incorporated them very easily and in a sense, it didn't feel wrong to have them in there; especially due to how it feels organic to the timeline of the SWUniverse. Everything fit the story, the environments felt very massive in it's shere scope and it is benefited by the new backgrounds of the Mythology of the new environments and places seen. All in all, an great film that I am glad to see..

RANKING:
1.)Empire
2.)New Hope
3.)Rogue One
4.)Force Awakens
5.)Return
6.)Sith
7.)Phantom
8.)Clones
Completely agree with your analysis. It puts my thoughts into better words basically.

Absolutely loved it. Aesthetically stunning - both in production design and cinematography - and, to me, very well paced. Great build towards the third act and some wonderful set piece moments. I actually felt surprisingly engaged with the characters, given the knowledge that basically all of them would be expendable. I thought Felicity Jones did a good job as Jyn.

Plus K-2SO is a sassy b*tch :lol:

As a pretty big SW fan, I found myself amused and enjoyed quite a bit of it, but it didn't really "feel" like a Star Wars film to me. It was basically a Star Wars EU graphic novel come to life. Which is fine, but I think it missed some of the magic and mystery in the details. I don't feel the need to see it again and again like other films in the series.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and liked it more than Ep VII

It's so good, I think this is going to be the new film to watch before Ep IV for new people who haven't seen Star Wars before, though I can't wait to watch them back to back and see how the pacing feels.

Reactions: Nick
I thoroughly enjoyed it and liked it more than Ep VII

It's so good, I think this is going to be the new film to watch before Ep IV for new people who haven't seen Star Wars before, though I can't wait to watch them back to back and see how the pacing feels.
I went home and watched A New Hope immediately upon second viewing. It's seamless and Rogue One also fills many of the plot holes that Lucas left in Ep IV, too.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Saw this again last night and it held up very well to a second viewing. I don't understand the complaints about the pacing of the first act at all.

Also, this is a ridiculously trivial thing to comment on, but (perhaps due to being in a better IMAX screen this time than last time I saw it) the incidental sound design is excellent in this film. The sounds of K-2SO's movements, in particular, have a real weight and visceral quality to them.