Rogue One - A Star Wars Story | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Rogue One - A Star Wars Story

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Without trying to diverge this thread too much, my rankings are IV,V,VII,II,VI,I,III. Empire ranks pretty high because it brought deeper and darker themes while still interjecting light-hearted banter and funny moments from A New Hope.

I think this will be similar to ESB except with a pseudo happy ending. ESB ended on a pretty dark note, where this one we know that at least they are successful in their mission. It could be a pyrrhic victory, but as this is slated as a standalone movie it should have a "happy" ending. Honestly, I'm not excited for this one like I was for TFA. I may end up waiting for it to hit iTunes. Not because I think it's going to be a bad movie, just because it's not the core story. After growing up with three SW movies. Picking up three more which was supposed to be it. And now getting at least 3 more, I'm just not sure how I feel about the side stories.

I think this will be similar to ESB except with a pseudo happy ending. ESB ended on a pretty dark note, where this one we know that at least they are successful in their mission. It could be a pyrrhic victory, but as this is slated as a standalone movie it should have a "happy" ending. Honestly, I'm not excited for this one like I was for TFA. I may end up waiting for it to hit iTunes. Not because I think it's going to be a bad movie, just because it's not the core story. After growing up with three SW movies. Picking up three more which was supposed to be it. And now getting at least 3 more, I'm just not sure how I feel about the side stories.

I wouldn't be so sure about a happy ending. The only thing that we know survives are the plans and Vader doesn't die.

I wouldn't be so sure about a happy ending. The only thing that we know survives are the plans and Vader doesn't die.

Thats why I say pseudo. Standalone movies usually end with conflict resolution. It's not like the middle movie of a trilogy that will usually end on a down note. This one should tie up its own loose ends and we know the mission to get the plans is successful on some level. I think the daughter/father relationship definitely will not go well at some point, and may end up in a bad place. Granted, this does fall in the middle of other movies, so it's not a true standalone, but I don't expect to see "rogue two" or any other continuation of this storyline.

Reactions: Scott W.
EXCEEDS expectations?!? I feel like expectations were already pretty high. I'm gonna try to keep my expectations where they were though, but I am feeling really pumped about this movie. More than I was for 7 and more than I am for 8 as well.

I am really looking forward to this as well, when VII came out I did the whole midnight showing thing, but as I am currently in the middle of xmas pressure at work it really killed me lol so this time I am doing the sensible thing and going early evening. Tho saying that I will prob do midnight showing for VIII lol

The movie was by no means bad, but it wasn't very engaging. The final 5 minutes are great and the third act is good, but the first two acts move slowly. I'm disappointed.

I thought the film was just about PERFECT. Yes, the first 45 minutes or so are a little bumpy, but once the film gets in the air it really soars. It also NAILS the landing. Easily the finest Star Wars film since Empire (I'd rank it just below Empire).

5 Stars out of 5

Absolutely loved it. The beginning was a bit bumpy as so many characters were being thrown at you and we didn't have much context for who they were, but other than that, this was a great movie. I have to give it another watch, but it's easily the best SW film since Empire as said above and the movie's ending is possibly the best of any SW movie. I had chills for a solid 5-10 minutes.

Reactions: LieutLaww
The characters are largely ineffective, serving as chess pieces (to execute plot points and be exploited upon their deaths, naturally) and as shades of a larger vague ensemble. For me, the only three (new) characters that registered any level of memorability were Saw Gererra, Director Krennic, and K-2SO. Vader's scenes were great.

The film is still excellent, however, and serves as more of a straight war history than a space opera family drama (which is what we're used to). This allows me to forgive the thin writing and broad strokes of many of the characters. (The reshoots didn't help with shaky characterizations in the edit, of course.) The final battle - and the Death Star strikes - are real cinematic doozies.

For me, the only three (new) characters that registered any level of memorability were Saw Gererra, Director Krennic, and K-2SO. Vader's scenes were great.
Saw and Krennic? I totally am with you on K-2SO (who isn't?), but I thought Saw was rather forgettable and Krennic... well he wasn't boring but he's certainly not among any of the characters I talked about coming out of the movie. Like you said though, your opinion.

For me, no doubt in my mind of the new characters, Jyn Erso, Cassian Andor, Baze, Chirrut and K-2SO were all incredibly likeable and stick fairly firmly in memory to this moment. As you were sort of saying, the problem is that there wasn't enough time for character development which hurt the film at some points where we maybe should've cared more.