Seuss Landing Expansion Speculation | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Seuss Landing Expansion Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You are correct at it being played at the Dr Phillip's Center as has Wicked. The issue with Seuss is that his stories are actually very political. Sneetches and The Lorax in particular carry political messages that are dangerously close to crossing lines for certain people.
I'd bet money that Universal did a focus group about the Lorax when they were rumoring to green-light a ride. The Lorax has such an overtly political message that they need to know how people would respond. With the current political climate, I don't know if Universal would want to build a Lorax ride any time soon. The Grinch isn't as political, so I would think that comes next.

I'd bet money that Universal did a focus group about the Lorax when they were rumoring to green-light a ride. The Lorax has such an overtly political message that they need to know how people would respond. With the current political climate, I don't know if Universal would want to build a Lorax ride any time soon. The Grinch isn't as political, so I would think that comes next.
Ironically, last year there was a Universal survey focusing mainly on socio-political issues.

Ironically, last year there was a Universal survey focusing mainly on socio-political issues.
Oh yeah, I remember that one. It was a crazy political year, so that was smart on their part. I always had the feeling that they needed some data on how to act in a potential Ivanka/Nordstrom situation.

(Not that I really want this thread to devolve into talking about that)

Seuss expansion going forward will depend 100% on illuminations upcoming adaptations of the Grinch and Cat in the Hat. We should all be keeping a very close eye on this upcoming Grinch film.

As for the Lorax, it came down to it and Kong for what would be the next major attraction for IOA. Kong won out due to it's enhanced marketability. Kong would drive guests in where they feared the Lorax would get lost among the crowd. Also the Skull Island movie being pushed back was not anticipated.

First point is it would be a little weird to have a seasonal ride in The Grinch year round. Don't know how Uni Creative would work around that. Also, I could see a complete refurb and basically gutting of the cat in the hat ride in favor of the new illumination one.

Cat in the Hat and the Grinch will always be classic the stories at least.

True. But the live action Grinch is extremely polarizing. Them there's the Cat in the Hat, which is in the running for worst film made in the last few decades. Not saying that's what Illumination is going for. But adapting a classic is a very tricky thing to do.

I'll be sad when Lost Continent finally gets the axe because it's so pretty and it's an amazing view from across the lagoon. But if Mythos gets demoed to something else I'll be devastated. That's an incredible structure. I'll never forget going to universal with some friends who had never been before and pointing across the lagoon to the mouth waterfall and saying "that's where we are eating lunch today." The look on their faces was priceless.
Universal should keep Lost Continent but add all new major original rides; no ip; how bout an indoor Coaster? Ioa could sure use one ;)

PkE8n8E.jpg

I don't know why Universal would feel they absolutely have to wait until the film releases to greenlight a Grinch dark ride or family coaster. It's a beloved, timeless story and would easily become the biggest draw of Seuss Landing if they actually build a Mt. Crumpet on par with the detail found on Big Thunder or Splash.

The only thing I can think of is UC debating whether to give Grinch/Whoville all of Lost Continent or just the expansion pad next to Cat. The film is practically locked for $200 million+ DOM given Illumination's stellar marketing team and their budgets are sub-$100 million currently, so the film should make a nice profit when all is said and done.

This, a SLoP dark ride to replace the Toon Lagoon Theater, a nighttime show on the main lagoon and an Avengers or Iron Man E-ticket replacing Doom/Carnage all seem like obvious, surefire successes as far as improving IOA. I'd like to see at least two of these greenlit alongside the DC replacement (or one-two years after).

A Grinch ride sounds wonderful, but if we want a new ride to have around all year, I'd choose The Lorax for that, given the recent internet popularity of the Illumination Film in a similar manner to The Bee Movie and We Are Number One. That would make a great dark ride or stage show!
I'd also like to see Daisy Head Mayzie represented at the park. I knew she had meet and greets 5 years ago, but I'd love to see a ride based on it, as it was my favorite Dr. Seuss story as a child.

Reactions: tankart150
I gave a reason in the other thread. Meledandri is focusing Illumination on its own IPs and the potential Nintendo movies. They probably couldn't commit to the # of films that WAG could.

WAG's latest Lego movies haven't done that well (Ninjago was a bomb and another franchise attempt in Storks didn't do that well), so they were probably more willing to commit to making a bunch of Seuss movies.

Last edited:
I gave a reason in the other thread. Meledandri is focusing Illumination on its own IPs and the potential Nintendo movies. They probably couldn't commit to the # of films that WAG could.

WAG's latest Lego movies haven't done that well (Ninjago was a bomb and another franchise attempt in Storks didn't do that well), so they were probably more willing to commit to making a bunch of Seuss movies.
Isn’t illumination still doing Grinch?

Isn’t illumination still doing Grinch?
Yes, but Illumination probably couldn't commit to more than 1 Seuss movie every 5 or 6 years at most. I think Seuss Estate wanted a higher level of commitment.

If you add Nintendo and more homegrown IPs to Illumination's schedule, I doubt they'd have slots for another Seuss movie until 2022 or so...