Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Seuss Landing Expansion Speculation

Dragon Challenge for 2018 I imagine. Would be nice if they could have Nintendo by 2019 instead of 2020.

I think Dragons could be 2018 or 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if 2018 is a down year for them. With F&F opening late 2017. I don't see kid zone being taken down until F&F is open. Which is why I really don't see Nintendo occurring until 2020. I actually wouldn't be surprised if in 2018 and 2019 Disney opens more than Universal. I think the construction of Nintendo, hotels, and a 3rd gate are going to dominate. Universal knows they can have a couple off years here and there and still increase attendance. Look at 2015 as a perfect example.

This would not surprise me. As awesome as nighttime shows can be.......they can also become a big cluster where people are standing around for hours not spending any money and creating a total hassle for people trying to move around the park. The mindsets of Disney and Universal are different in some ways and nighttime shows seems to be one area that they differ greatly. Universal wants to move people into City Walk at night........not stand around a lagoon for a couple of hours.

No one waits around hours for most night time shows. The only ones I know of are MK night time and Fantasmic. Like at Epcot you can do things all the way up to 15 minutes before (or even closer) and still get good seats. We walked in at the last minute for Star Wars fireworks and had great seats. What causes the waits at Disney is the back to back night offerings. So people find a place to park and watch the 3 night shows offered. I think it is silly and never do it. I ride stuff while those suckers are waiting. But these people have already ate and would not be the citiwalk type of people anyways. So Disney isn't losing a ton of money. They get people to buy more in fact with glow stuff and the snack stands all over the place. I see people buying crap all the time while waiting.

Universal could do a lagoon show and prevent from the waiting. No one waits hours for the studios night time show. It is all how you set it up and making sure there are lots of great places to see the night time stuff. Also, do one show and not 3 in a row.

This would not surprise me. As awesome as nighttime shows can be.......they can also become a big cluster where people are standing around for hours not spending any money and creating a total hassle for people trying to move around the park. The mindsets of Disney and Universal are different in some ways and nighttime shows seems to be one area that they differ greatly. Universal wants to move people into City Walk at night........not stand around a lagoon for a couple of hours.
To be fair, IOA is practically built to have a nighttime show. There's ton of large, out of the way viewing areas that would be perfect for a lagoon show. And guests staying in a park for a nighttime show are certainly spending much more money than guests not being there at all, with the usual closing times.

It's a nice thought, but I don't believe that it's one of Universal's priorities at this moment. They are stretched as it is with projects going on around all the properties and of all the areas in the parks that "need" attention, that may be the bottom of the list.

image.jpeg

IMO Seuss landing should be smaller. Expand a last ride next to cat in the hat, but chop off some parts of it. Seuss landing should get a little makeover, a much better and newer attarction, and the areas that are unknown and unused cut off.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO Seuss landing should be smaller. Expand a last ride next to cat in the hat, but chop off some parts of it. Seuss landing should get a little makeover, a much better and newer attarction, and the areas that are unknown and unused cut off.

What?

How would that work?

If anything Seuss needs more to do. In an ideal world we'd get Lorax and Grinch rides to round out Cat in the Hat, making it the Islands version of Fantasyland.

It's a nice thought, but I don't believe that it's one of Universal's priorities at this moment. They are stretched as it is with projects going on around all the properties and of all the areas in the parks that "need" attention, that may be the bottom of the list.

Yea, I don't think anything will happen here until the Illumination versions of Cat/Grinch come out and they gauge interest

View attachment 4085

Seuss, is a treasured IP that has been seen and read by millions of children and individuals across the globe.

I think, while The Lorax did good in Box Office, it barely topped The Grinch. I have to believe, that Universal is going to closely watch The Grinch's success, and if that film is a success; I could easily see an expansion on the town of Whoville become more of a reality than one would think. But, if I were to say; where would it be a better pick, it wouldn't be that expansion plot next to Cat in the Hat, but The Lost Continent.

Seuss, is a treasured IP that has been seen and read by millions of children and individuals across the globe.

I think, while The Lorax did good in Box Office, it barely topped The Grinch. I have to believe, that Universal is going to closely watch The Grinch's success, and if that film is a success; I could easily see an expansion on the town of Whoville become more of a reality than one would think. But, if I were to say; where would it be a better pick, it wouldn't be that expansion plot next to Cat in the Hat, but The Lost Continent.
Agreed on Whoville as the Lost Continent replacement. A Grinch coaster and Seussical/Horton stage show would be a solid replacement, but what to do with Mythos would be hard to answer. Add in overhauls for Seuss Trolley and Cat, plus a Lorax dark ride... I'd say Seuss Landing would be well-rounded (2 dark rides, 1 elevated track ride, 1 family coaster, 1 permanent stage show, 2 flat rides, 1 play area)

Doubt Lorax ride will ever get built, though. They waited too long - should have opened it and the JP expansion in late 2014/early-mid 2015 when there wasn't a long list of additions.

Agreed on Whoville as the Lost Continent replacement. A Grinch coaster and Seussical/Horton stage show would be a solid replacement, but what to do with Mythos would be hard to answer. Add in overhauls for Seuss Trolley and Cat, plus a Lorax dark ride... I'd say Seuss Landing would be well-rounded (2 dark rides, 1 elevated track ride, 1 family coaster, 1 permanent stage show, 2 flat rides, 1 play area)

Doubt Lorax ride will ever get built, though. They waited too long - should have opened it and the JP expansion in late 2014/early-mid 2015 when there wasn't a long list of additions.

Seussical, isn't from Universal; correct? Perhaps @quinnmac000 could inform us on that, but I do believe that what they should do, is to take over LC with a dedicated Seuss land, not like the others; but more centered around How The Grinch Stole Christmas, with the main attraction taking over the plot that is Posideons Fury. And then that a general Seuss/related show could be created, that could be moved about in queue flow so you can add a more cohesive element to Potter, leaving the snowy winter-wonderland to the Highlands of Scotland.

Seussical, isn't from Universal; correct? Perhaps @quinnmac000 could inform us on that, but I do believe that what they should do, is to take over LC with a dedicated Seuss land, not like the others; but more centered around How The Grinch Stole Christmas, with the main attraction taking over the plot that is Posideons Fury. And then that a general Seuss/related show could be created, that could be moved about in queue flow so you can add a more cohesive element to Potter, leaving the snowy winter-wonderland to the Highlands of Scotland.

Seussical was produced by SFX Theatrical Group, Barry and Fran Wiessler and Universal Studios. With that I think for in park use they all would have to agree on it which should now be a sure since many schools put on Seussical. However, its really not that great of a musical and I have a feeling it will be a boon in comparison to creating a brand new Seuss based show.

Sorry for the double post, however, new information has come to me that may possibly come to the park. (The Lorax, instead of Grinchmas a even more higher caliber Grinch musical, Sneetches the Musical). The one I actually see coming is The Lorax as Universal has a very strong personal relationship with the Old Globe theatre in opening/workshopping their shows for Broadway.
The Lorax
http://www.grinchmusical.com/
Children's Theatre Company | Dr. Seuss's The Sneetches The Musical

If i'm not mistaken, didn't the Grinch Musical actually play at the Dr. Phillip's Center?

I am not surprised, as I wonder if it is relating to the Domestic front; or hell, maybe even Beijing and that they would potentially get a Seuss-based land with an Illumination based theme to it.

Just a thought.

If i'm not mistaken, didn't the Grinch Musical actually play at the Dr. Phillip's Center?

I am not surprised, as I wonder if it is relating to the Domestic front; or hell, maybe even Beijing and that they would potentially get a Seuss-based land with an Illumination based theme to it.

Just a thought.

You are correct at it being played at the Dr Phillip's Center as has Wicked. The issue with Seuss is that his stories are actually very political. Sneetches and The Lorax in particular carry political messages that are dangerously close to crossing lines for certain people.

I'll be sad when Lost Continent finally gets the axe because it's so pretty and it's an amazing view from across the lagoon. But if Mythos gets demoed to something else I'll be devastated. That's an incredible structure. I'll never forget going to universal with some friends who had never been before and pointing across the lagoon to the mouth waterfall and saying "that's where we are eating lunch today." The look on their faces was priceless.

I'll be sad when Lost Continent finally gets the axe because it's so pretty and it's an amazing view from across the lagoon. But if Mythos gets demoed to something else I'll be devastated. That's an incredible structure. I'll never forget going to universal with some friends who had never been before and pointing across the lagoon to the mouth waterfall and saying "that's where we are eating lunch today." The look on their faces was priceless.
But they can replace Mythos with Whoville and you can get the roast beast.

Seriously though, I doubt we would ever see more Seuss take over Lost Continent. IOA has been moving towards having more smaller islands if anything, rather than making existing ones bigger (except Potter.) There's room to expand Seuss still, or even re-purpose existing space in that land.

I'd rather see Lost Continent stay, or have something entirely new come in, than have an existing land like Potter or Seuss eat it up.

But they can replace Mythos with Whoville and you can get the roast beast.

Seriously though, I doubt we would ever see more Seuss take over Lost Continent. IOA has been moving towards having more smaller islands if anything, rather than making existing ones bigger (except Potter.) There's room to expand Seuss still, or even re-purpose existing space in that land.

I'd rather see Lost Continent stay, or have something entirely new come in, than have an existing land like Potter or Seuss eat it up.
Yeah, Seuss doesn't need to take up Lost Continent. That's Hyrule or Berk's job, :)