Seuss Landing Expansion Speculation | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Seuss Landing Expansion Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I can't see them utilizing Illumination's designs in Seuss Landing. There would be a disconnect with the aesthetic of the rest of the lands story book designs. Now if they were still making Seuss animated movies I could've seen it happening with the rest of the land being revamped to match the look of the films.

I can't see them utilizing Illumination's designs in Seuss Landing. There would be a disconnect with the aesthetic of the rest of the lands story book designs. Now if they were still making Seuss animated movies I could've seen it happening with the rest of the land being revamped to match the look of the films.

I'd be surprised if they altered the look from the books to the films. In my opinion, the current style is classic - if you've ever read a Dr. Seuss book, you know it.

Not sure where to ask this, but I'll give it a shot here. Does anyone know if the Grinch costume that was used for photos during Grinchmas will continue to be the regular?

Not sure where to ask this, but I'll give it a shot here. Does anyone know if the Grinch costume that was used for photos during Grinchmas will continue to be the regular?
Just guessing....but....the 2018 Holiday costume was a new look costume, much less hairy than the former....so it'll probably be around for a while. (Both show & street were the same new look)

Last edited:
Reactions: CoopF22
If you mean will it be the "street" costume used for photos in SL all year long, probably not. Generally "show" costumes and "street" costumes are very different for movement and durability. The show costumes are usually lighter weight and can't stand up to the rigors of guests the same way the street costumes can.

The link to this concept art from 2014 was dead, so I posted it here. This concept art was for a proposed Lorax dark ride that was axed in favor of Kong. Regrettably the image has a low resolution:

View attachment 13843

Here's a slightly better quality version:
tumblr_p5t7lypMOv1ruqecfo1_640.jpg

Even without seeing any details, it looks better than Kong.

So the project itself is rumored to be a family friendly dark ride themed around the hit Illumination film, The Lorax. The film was a CGI film adaptation and was created based off the story by Dr Suess. This ride has been in the pipeline for a while and kept getting pushed back. The ride has been revised several times and was unsuccessfully pitched twice to the Geisel estate. Over the Summer Creative was preparing a third pitch and by the sound of it, it may of been third time is the charm. This version of the ride is rumored to be a dark ride featuring physical sets, 3D projection, AA's and live effects all while riding on themed scooters as RV's. I know I know I can hear a collective sigh, a few mumbles from some people in the back, and a couple skeptical chuckles from parkscope. Just kidding guys, all in good fun, love the show! And who can blame you right, just 10 days ago I brought you this crazy Kong crap. But this is where its gets interesting...
What the project was rumored to be back in 2013.

The link to this concept art from 2014 was dead, so I posted it here. This concept art was for a proposed Lorax dark ride that was axed in favor of Kong. Regrettably the image has a low resolution:

View attachment 13843
The ride vehicles look like motorcycles. This looks like some sort of Spider-man/FoP hybrid. Was this going to be Lorax of Passage?

I'm sure the ride in and of itself would've been good, but I don't think this would've helped the ratio of screen/practical rides.

Reactions: belloq87
IIRC, Lorax was a simulator with a setup along the lines of a smaller scale, standing version of Fallon.
I think I remembered hearing back when this was a thing that it was supposed to be a "Mini-Spiderman". If that's what it was going to be then.....yikes. Glad they scrapped it then.
Glad we got Kong instead.
Agreed. Would've rather had this then another Fallon.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I don't really think Universal has too much incentive to use a book version of The Grinch (would they do that) if they can do a ride on the Illumination version and sell merch that ties into a Universal movie. Although that movie only did so-so (sure, the best Seuss box office, but Seuss films don't typically perform overly well). Also, and I don't know if this would play a factor, but WB now has Seuss movie rights, so Universal may have less incentive to use that version of The Grinch, especially since it isn't timeless. The 60's animated one and the Jim Carey one will always be the most recognizable and iconic Grinch's and Carey's Grinch is a Universal movie.

If I recall correctly, The Lorax ride had trackless LPS "scooters" that would travel through mostly screen augmented practical sets with 2 "stationary" simulator screen scenes. Basically MMRR with less projection mapping.
In IOA, this could’ve work and feel really unique imo. It’d have triggered the screenz crowd but doesn’t sound bad.