Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 170 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I imagine sfmm’s giga would be in this order: the drop, a turnaround, an airtime hill, and lastly a long decline brake run after that hill into the station. Also, they only order 2 trains.

For those curious - I asked about the Giga posts. It’s horse dookie, *but* the park apparently is not going to add big additions in the coming years as they want/ have a jaw dropper planned in time for the Olympics…

Hmm….

Six Flags management will have changed 4 times between now and then, and their priorities as well.

The Olympics is always thought of as a "big draw" but it actually tends to hurt theme park attendance. I think for USH it might be a different story with some of the broadcast studios on property as well as NBC hosting the games on TV which means they could have some of the human interest stories about them IN the park as a simultaneous ad for the park and a way to show the athletes relaxing and having fun. Disney style synergy between networks and parks.

I doubt Magic Mountain would even be noticed during the Olympics...

For those curious - I asked about the Giga posts. It’s horse dookie, *but* the park apparently is not going to add big additions in the coming years as they want/ have a jaw dropper planned in time for the Olympics…

Hmm….
The key word to me in that is ”big” additions. I hope that means that they would add some flats back.

And I know we all like to give SFMM grief (especially with operations, which I agree is mostly deserved), we do also have to recognize they are making maintenance upgrades: new paint, new plants, more signage, food events, VIP lounge [and a new red carpet for the VIP entrance), a Starbucks, updated games, refurnished Jet Stream, reopening Roaring Rapids, upcoming solar parking lot, etc.

Still have a long, long way to go of course… we could all name tons of other stuff that need work. But at the same time, the park hasn’t been entirely stagnant in showing signs of investment.

Finally visited Flavors of the World today. Portion sizes are very small, yet purchasing items a la carte costs you $10. "Passport" is significantly better deal if you plan on eating multiple items. Booths were not busy, opening at 12, and I never saw more than 2-3 parties ordering at any booth. Order food and pick up at the same window, pretty much instantaneous. I wasn't there for long, so only tried one item, the empanada from Carribean booth, it was flaky and the meat was half decent. Definitely not worth $10, but fine as a "sampling". The booths are scattered a little; none of them directly next to another, but they're all in between Full Throttle and Goliath (so nowhere near the good bathrooms lol). The rest of the park completely ignores it. Seating is limited; there's some by the train, and across from Goliath, and a couple tables near Full Throttle, but that’s it. A couple stilt walkers wandered around, and had some fun interactions with guests, plus some guy was playing steel drums on Full Throttle stage, that no one was paying attention to lol. Here's some photos:
20230707_113002.jpg
20230707_113101.jpg
20230707_124817.jpg

20230707_122717.jpg
20230707_122542.jpg
Also, the Gaming House is set up in the old Terminator salvation gift shop. I'm terrible at video games so I didn't enter lol
20230707_115305.jpg

If they really are going the approach of “no more major additions until the LA Olympics”, I’m all for it if that’s what it takes to make the park better. If they can pull off a good giga when the Olympics start then great. They need to focus on improving their infrastructure first. Improve the food, spiff up the place, and for Pete’s sake, give us a few flats. They need that far more than a new coaster.

Speaking of flats, I saw some work happening at the former Tidal Wave area. No idea what this is for
20230707_134146.jpg
There was also zero work happening at Pistachio Park FWIW

So, SFMM is content to just sit back and allow Universal to steal all the coaster headlines once Fast and Furious opens?

I'll believe that when I see it ...lol