Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 173 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Goliath was down for a while, then open, but semi-recently went back down. Not sure what's up with it this time. Same with Apocalypse.

Honestly, I suspect Superman and JL being down is just cost cutting... they're both expensive attractions to run. Last I checked, Ninja may have been down due to new fencing going up around it and the queue, but not sure if that's still the case.

Also, be warned that if you go first thing in the morning, a lot of rides open late.

Reactions: ParksandSights
It's just bad management

Six Flags was a great part when they ran it right but as someone who had an AP for years, it started to go down hill fast and after the Pandemic.....I couldn't want to go any more when I would show up when the park opened and rides were not opening until noon FOR NO REASON

I had a 2021 season pass with the best-available flash pass season pass add-on and frankly that was the only reason the park was manageable. even with the flash pass, I would often wait upwards of 20 minutes to get on rides because of a combination of (understandable) employee apathy, single-train operation and poor queue design. the park is so badly under resourced and the resources they do have are poorly managed.

so naturally instead of running the coasters they have, they opened a brand new one last year. absolutely nuts.

The GM at SFMM is on thin ice. And that's a bit of an understatement. Every park in the chain is making noticeable improvements, except SFMM.

He's rarely in the park anymore and seems to have checked out. It's weird cause he was doing so well up at SFDK. But SFMM will zap the energy of almost anyone. The work needed to be done there is quite overwhelming.

In better news, plans to reopen the Sky Tower are on again, and there's some cool landscaping going on around the park. Most rides are open again or soon will be, and a new project will be announced soon.

Last edited:
The GM at SFMM is on thin ice. And that's a bit of an understatement. Every park in the chain is making noticeable improvements, except SFMM.

He's rarely in the park anymore and seems to have checked out. It's weird cause he was doing so well up at SFDK. But SFMM will zap the energy of almost anyone. The work needed to be done there is quite overwhelming.

In better news, plans to reopen the Sky Tower are on again, and there's some cool landscaping going on around the park. Most rides are open again or soon will be, and a new project will be announced soon.
I’m hoping they look more into it and figure out what exactly they need to do. Whether it’s the current GM or the culture they’re bringing everything down, I hope the powers that be address what needs to be addressed. We all want the park to thrive!

Please elaborate because I definitely believe you
The bottom line workers there are underpaid, understaffed, overworked, and micromanaged to death. Because they hire so young (16), they feel the need to infantilize their workforce with all kinds of unnecessarily strict guidelines regarding employee conduct. Managers there police every aspect of a worker's routine, and people are regularly sent home for the most minor infractions.

One example of this that drove me insane was their phone policy. Of course any employer would not want their team on their phones during working hours. However, anyone working entertainment at parks knows there's a lot of downtime when you're not performing or "onstage." Even as seasonal workers we were told that under no uncertain terms we were not to be on our phones, even if we were backstage and out of costume. I would go in around 5:30, our maze was not open until 8. At no point was I ever in a guest facing area during that time. We could not be on our phones, doing so would be a write up. Even if we were just chilling in the maze, in a dark corner or boo hole all by ourselves, if you got caught on your phone (and they would come around and check), you'd get in trouble. Also, as seasonal employees we were not issued uniforms besides our costumes. However, we were expected to arrive in all black for the few minutes before we changed into costume. No logos, no hoodies, no jeans, no sweats, business casual etc. and you would be sent home if you weren't.

Managers were not friendly, rarely helpful and always looking to keep their crews in order. One male manager would often hit me up and make sexual advances, and when I asked around it turns out this was a regular pattern of behavior. The pay is minimum wage and I could see why it was so discouraging for so many people.

I’m hoping they look more into it and figure out what exactly they need to do. Whether it’s the current GM or the culture they’re bringing everything down, I hope the powers that be address what needs to be addressed. We all want the park to thrive!
I’m not a fan of McKoy and while I miss Thurman and his focus on ride operations I’m curious as to why the park is like this right now compared to other six flags parks. Does McKoy truly not care or does he legitimately not have the resources to keep the beast that is SFMM operating? Resources like enough staff is a big one. Is the park’s revenue, after overhead costs, high enough to give a proper operations budget? Do they need to hire and pay their maintenance crew more to speed up train refurbishments? Is it the CEO’s fault and he’s limiting the park based on their revenue? Just so many questions and factors in play. This park has so much potential and it’s sad to see it ran like this.

Reactions: Clive and TCox91

I will laugh if that project turns out to be the giga they were teasing last month

Ended up deciding not to go. It sounds like it's not in the best shape and the off chance that the Conjuring/Saw mazes are decent, I think that'd be a good time to go instead (how I'll find time in October though, is beyond me).

Reactions: Jerroddragon

Don McCoy is no good for MM. Even when the park reopened, he was nowhere to be found. His management team just stood around and made no effort to welcome everyone back. 50th anniversary? Nothing.

We all miss Neal and seeing him in the park everyday and talking with the guests. True leader and he cared about the park. Our loss and Busch Gardens' gain.

So what the hell does a GM do if they aren't at the park?

I'm not joking what is there job if they aren't there seeing what Day to Day operations is like?

Our currents GM sits in his office and sends a bunch of emails to his staff. Total hands off approach. It’s sad, because SFMM needs strong leadership.

But I’m hearing he’s not long for the park

Reactions: chris.g
Given Selim's comments on them investing over 300 million dollars in the span of the next two years, plus if this project for SFMM is going to be a multi-year...

could they work with say, a Vekoma or Intamin on a hyper model for the park?

Vekoma is getting much more into the US space with Good Gravy, the SFSTL Family Coaster, the Nashville dueling Family Boomerangs, COTALand's (assuming if it's for COTALand at all) Circuit Breaker, and Snoopy Soap Box Racers at KI--I wonder if SFMM could justify on getting Vekoma to work on it. Especially, considering Hyperion had a poll that determined if it would've been Intamin or Vekoma.

Intamin also comes to mind, simply because they have begun to work with SFCorp once again with Falcons Flight at Qiddya, and that of what seems to be the first Ultra Surf prototype coming to Georgia. They were the ones that Energylandia also picked for what would result in Hyperion.

A standard hyper from both of them should be more reliable that Goliath, considering how they are seemingly going to target high repairing attractions (And given Goliath's repainting has seemingly been canned alongside the constant closures, it is something to ponder).

I suspect Six Flags has some nice surprises in store in for 24/25. Seeing that most of their additions since the pandemic didn’t move the needle (Wonder Woman is an underrated ride, but pretty much flopped), I’m glad they realized they need to turn up the heat.

No more “mid”rides. In addition to major work needed in key areas like Samurai Summit and Baja Ridge, they need to go all out for a coaster for the ages. Something undeniable and jaw dropping.

If the rumors are to be believed, that’s exactly the direction they are headed.

It's a bit of a bummer, because (correct me if I'm wrong), SFMM never really got anything for their 50th because it happened during Covid.

While I'm happy for SFGA to get something for their 50th, SFMM should feel pretty slighted.

I suspect Six Flags has some nice surprises in store in for 24/25. Seeing that most of their additions since the pandemic didn’t move the needle (Wonder Woman is an underrated ride, but pretty much flopped), I’m glad they realized they need to turn up the heat.

No more “mid”rides. In addition to major work needed in key areas like Samurai Summit and Baja Ridge, they need to go all out for a coaster for the ages. Something undeniable and jaw dropping.

If the rumors are to be believed, that’s exactly the direction they are headed.
Could it be something that leaves a...

Giant
Impact
Geographically in
Association?