Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

It's been a pretty destitute area for a while now. I may be mistaken, but don't most of those building harken back from the Spillikin Corners days?
Yes, and at one point they were highly themed. I had heard that Six Flags was talking about using the name Adventure Alley that they had used at Great Adventure for other parks as a way of branding an influx of flat rides.

I would imagine, if they use this much space and start that area from scratch, we could get a 3 ride package and to redo the infrastructure around the area, with adding new shops and dining facilities.

View attachment 6772
The park needs a major attraction back here to lure the crowds away from the X2 and Twisted Colossus areas. If they just add flat rides then the area will continue to be empty. It has to be an attraction that guests will run to in the morning because its so good. Right now, the first ride of the day for many guests is either X2, Tatsu, Full Throttle, Goliath, or Twisted Colossus.

The park needs a major attraction back here to lure the crowds away from the X2 and Twisted Colossus areas. If they just add flat rides then the area will continue to be empty. It has to be an attraction that guests will run to in the morning because its so good. Right now, the first ride of the day for many guests is either X2, Tatsu, Full Throttle, Goliath, or Twisted Colossus.

Agreed. Save the premium space for an attention-grabbing, exciting, bring-the-crowds coaster.

SFMM knows what butters their bread and it ain't flats, that's for sure. Just add a flat ride package to appease the critics and be done with it.

Was there yesterday, nothing opened in Pyclone Bay, CraZainty supports all on ride site ready to be installed. Looked like it was gonna happen today or tomorrow but Its raining now so well see.

Agreed. Save the premium space for an attention-grabbing, exciting, bring-the-crowds coaster.

SFMM knows what butters their bread and it ain't flats, that's for sure. Just add a flat ride package to appease the critics and be done with it.

I still don’t understand why you think it’s just to “appease the critics”. If anything, the “critics” are enthusiasts such as yourself who think the only successful capital investment at a park is a coaster.

It’s not as if flat rides are built to appeal to some obscure group. They’re built for the vast majority of the attending public and families that the park can’t serve with a coaster.

With all due respect you just think you know what butters SFMM's bread. Their focus has changed in recent years.

With all due respect you just think you know what butters SFMM's bread. Their focus has changed in recent years.

Honestly, I feel like we're :deadhorse:.

My comment was in reference to what @Ron101 stated. Not anything you said. In fact, you pretty much ignored what I asked you.

I don't know why you guys want to shut down a difference of opinion. Contrary to what you guys are saying, not everyone is dying for more flats. I'm gonna laugh if SFMM ever announces "The World's Largest Larson Loop." Just look at the reaction that SFGA fans had with the announcement of that flat ride.

SFMM is a coaster park. The target demographic is not young children, or older adults. It's tweens, adolescents, young adults, and thrill seekers. So what is their new recent focus?

If anything, the “critics” are enthusiasts such as yourself who think the only successful capital investment at a park is a coaster.

Wow dude. Way to completely misrepresent my point. I have never stated that the only successful capital investment in the park is a coaster.

What I HAVE said is that the park should make investments in:

-Refurbing their older coasters such as Viper
-Remodeling the front entrance
-Upgrading restrooms
-Improving infrastructure
-Refurbing bad areas of the park like Psyclone Bay
-Beautifying the park with more landscaping -
-Adding an On-Site Hotel to make the park more of a vacation destination
-Continue adding more variety to the park like they did with Battle for Metropolis
-Limiting the number of cheap flats and use the premium space of the park for headliner attractions
-And yes, making their 20th coaster truly a showstopper

These are all rational and worthwhile investments the park should make. Luckily, the park is moving in the right direction and are already working on these projects, or will do so in the future IMO.

What I HAVE said is that the park should make investments in:

-Upgrading restrooms
-Continue adding more variety to the park like they did with Battle for Metropolis
-Limiting the number of cheap flats and use the premium space of the park for headliner attractions

And maybe they will... to just about everything you mentioned :whistle::whistle::whistle:

And maybe they will... to just about everything you mentioned :whistle::whistle::whistle:
giphy.gif

Honestly, I feel like we're :deadhorse:.

My comment was in reference to what @Ron101 stated. Not anything you said. In fact, you pretty much ignored what I asked you.

I don't know why you guys want to shut down a difference of opinion. Contrary to what you guys are saying, not everyone is dying for more flats. I'm gonna laugh if SFMM ever announces "The World's Largest Larson Loop." Just look at the reaction that SFGA fans had with the announcement of that flat ride.

SFMM is a coaster park. The target demographic is not young children, or older adults. It's tweens, adolescents, young adults, and thrill seekers. So what is their new recent focus?

Talk about beating a dead horse... I was about to say the same thing, except to totally disagree with your statement "not everyone is dying for more flats". SF is not just a coaster park, it bills itself as a thrill park. Thrills come in many forms. I've been going to special events at SFMM for many, many years where management would take Q&A from the audience. And the two most commonly asked questions were, "Are the OTS ever going to come off Revolution?" (this tells you how long I've been going to Q&A's) and "When are you going to get more flat rides?" And the management would roll their eyes to both questions because they were tired of hearing them so often. So, uh, there are in fact a lot of people dying for more flat rides. For a very long time. Including myself. I don't know how many times I can say it, but again, the last flat ride was installed in 1983 (Swashbuckler). You weren't even born yet (based on the age you have listed in your profile). Flat rides have come a very long way since then.

That said, I do agree with all the other bullet points you mention--except, unsurprisingly, "Limiting the number of cheap flats and use the premium space of the park for headliner attractions." First off, the park needs more flats. Second, flats may be cheap compared to a coaster... but that's part of the point. You can get maybe 3 -4 rides for the price of one coaster. In that sense, you could argue you get more for the value., especially in terms of ridership numbers. Another asset is generally, most flat ride cycles are longer than most coasters, so you get more thrills for a longer time. Full Throttle is fun for what it is, but after such a long wait for such a short ride, I'd rather virtually walk on to a Troika and enjoy a much longer ride duration.

But mainly, most flats would not be taking away "premium space" from a headliner attraction. Indeed, one of the main points of most flat rides, aside from adding to a variety of thrills and spreading out lines throughout a park, is they can go in spaces where there wouldn't be enough room for a full coaster. I mean, exactly what "premier coaster" would you put in the old Sierra Twist space? Compare that to what flat rides could you put in the Sierra Twist space? The answer is pretty obvious. Or would you rather keep it as Pistachio Park and let that space continue to be wasted?

I do agree with you flats shouldn't be put in a "premier" space. If there was a flat ride package put in the old Devja Vu space, even I would have to agree that would be a waste. They should go in appropriate spaces as I mentioned above. I would hope even you would agree on this point.

Perhaps what I stated is indeed what you meant, but doesn't really come across that way. And your use of the word "cheap" is frankly dismissive of those who enjoy flat rides.

And lastly, I do agree that I wouldn't want a Larson Super Loop. I'd find that pretty disappointing. I will concede that is a small fear of mine, seeing how many other SF parks got one. SF isn't exactly known for their daring variety of flat rides--generally, Cedar Fair does a much better job in that department. But the fact that two SF parks are getting a Tourbilion does give me some hope for the future in regards to flat rides.

I guess you could say your argument... *Puts on sunglasses* ....falls flat.

"YYEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH"

Talk about beating a dead horse... I was about to say the same thing, except to totally disagree with your statement "not everyone is dying for more flats". SF is not just a coaster park, it bills itself as a thrill park. Thrills come in many forms. I've been going to special events at SFMM for many, many years where management would take Q&A from the audience. And the two most commonly asked questions were, "Are the OTS ever going to come off Revolution?" (this tells you how long I've been going to Q&A's) and "When are you going to get more flat rides?" And the management would roll their eyes to both questions because they were tired of hearing them so often. So, uh, there are in fact a lot of people dying for more flat rides. For a very long time. Including myself. I don't know how many times I can say it, but again, the last flat ride was installed in 1983 (Swashbuckler). You weren't even born yet (based on the age you have listed in your profile). Flat rides have come a very long way since then.

That said, I do agree with all the other bullet points you mention--except, unsurprisingly, "Limiting the number of cheap flats and use the premium space of the park for headliner attractions." First off, the park needs more flats. Second, flats may be cheap compared to a coaster... but that's part of the point. You can get maybe 3 -4 rides for the price of one coaster. In that sense, you could argue you get more for the value., especially in terms of ridership numbers. Another asset is generally, most flat ride cycles are longer than most coasters, so you get more thrills for a longer time. Full Throttle is fun for what it is, but after such a long wait for such a short ride, I'd rather virtually walk on to a Troika and enjoy a much longer ride duration.

But mainly, most flats would not be taking away "premium space" from a headliner attraction. Indeed, one of the main points of most flat rides, aside from adding to a variety of thrills and spreading out lines throughout a park, is they can go in spaces where there wouldn't be enough room for a full coaster. I mean, exactly what "premier coaster" would you put in the old Sierra Twist space? Compare that to what flat rides could you put in the Sierra Twist space? The answer is pretty obvious. Or would you rather keep it as Pistachio Park and let that space continue to be wasted?

I do agree with you flats shouldn't be put in a "premier" space. If there was a flat ride package put in the old Devja Vu space, even I would have to agree that would be a waste. They should go in appropriate spaces as I mentioned above. I would hope even you would agree on this point.

Perhaps what I stated is indeed what you meant, but doesn't really come across that way. And your use of the word "cheap" is frankly dismissive of those who enjoy flat rides.

And lastly, I do agree that I wouldn't want a Larson Super Loop. I'd find that pretty disappointing. I will concede that is a small fear of mine, seeing how many other SF parks got one. SF isn't exactly known for their daring variety of flat rides--generally, Cedar Fair does a much better job in that department. But the fact that two SF parks are getting a Tourbilion does give me some hope for the future in regards to flat rides.

Just gotta say man, I really enjoy reading your stuff. Even though I know your basically pooping on a lot of what I'm saying. But you have a breadth and depth of knowledge of the park which is refreshing.

It's nice because I feel like you're becoming the Joker to my Batman. The Lex Luthor to my Superman.

Anyways, I think there's 2 class of flat rides in my book.

1. Cheap Flats
2. Premiere Flats

Believe it or not, I'm excited about Crazanity because it looks pretty intimidating and awesome. That flat is in the 2nd category for me. The Tourbilion is another flat that I would welcome to the park and also belongs in the 2nd category. A Star Flyer would be pretty sweet too.

But the majority of flats for me fall in the 1st category. For example:

-Larson Loop
-Graviton
-Tilt-a-whirl
-Swing Ride
-Matterhorn (Cedar Point, not DL)
-Enterprise
-Super Himalaya (CP)
-Skyhawk (Again, CP)

I'll concede your point about adding more flats to places where major attractions wouldn't fit. That would be a great use of space and a way to add more variety to the park.

But please, let the park add flats from the 2nd category and not the first!
-

Just gotta say man, I really enjoy reading your stuff. Even though I know your basically pooping on a lot of what I'm saying. But you have a breadth and depth of knowledge of the park which is refreshing.
-

That is a very kind thing to say, I appreciate that! And I'm really not pooping on a lot of what you're saying... I am totally on board with you when you say:

-Upgrading restrooms

Well, except for that second to last one... and that's where I disagreed so much, I had to go on my rant, haha.

But I do think we've hit the middle ground. I still disagree a bit on what you call a cheap flat, but I do understand your point of distinguishing them from a premier flat.

And while I still don't mind some of the rides you list as "cheap" flats (I mean, we already have a Super Himalaya with The Flash--okay, it's a Music Express, but close enough), I would be inclined to agree I'd generally rather have premier flats. And a Troika (which I'm guessing you'd list in the "cheap" category)--to me, it's so visually stunning, holds a lot of people, and a fantastic intermediate level ride. Which is something SFMM is generally lacking... you either have Bugs Bunny land rides, or Goliath. More intermediate rides are always welcome.

I'm guessing you know SFMM used to have an Enterprise for years, right? That's another classic flat ride I still love that are becoming harder to find in parks. And after having two in SoCal for years (Knott's also used to have one as the Loop Trainer) down to none, I really miss it. Every time I do visit a park that has an Enterprise, I have to ride it. :)

Seems like it should have happened a while ago. They'll be lucky to get it open before the summer is over at this rate...