Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

I won't consider this ride open or out of softs until it opens up with the rest of the park at open and not in the afternoon with it maybe working correctly or not. The marketing stuff is not a true indication of it being open, I'm assuming Universal had hoped the ride would be further along than it is now and fully open, but it's not.
Yep.

Well, at this point the powers-that-be are playing a semantics game with park guests (and even their own staff) over it being open or not.

It needs to just be open or they need to recall all the media crap they're putting out. Otherwise, guests have a very good and justified reason to be angry when it isn't.

Well, at this point the powers-that-be are playing a semantics game with park guests (and even their own staff) over it being open or not.

It needs to just be open or they need to recall all the media crap they're putting out. Otherwise, guests have a very good and justified reason to be angry when it isn't.

Universal has not formally come out and said the ride is open. Some marketing posters saying new ride or what not doesn't mean they have. All this stuff is advertising the attraction and unfortunately it's behind schedule. At least Universal is waiting for it to be ready to fully open it up, unlike with Gringotts where they had to rush it to meet an opening date.

This is a crappy situation for sure, but I don't think any guests assuming the ride is open have any real right to complain when there isn't really anything to say it is. Plus, if they just go over there in the middle of the afternoon they will probably ride it anyways.

No... the giant posters that advertise it and the billboards and putting Tyler Oakley on it and having him put out a video advertising it.. none of which say it isn't open or is coming soon.. No.. that's not the same as saying it's open.

"We're not saying it's not open" means "It's open."

Arguing otherwise is semantics and the backlash from guests is deserved.

No... the giant posters that advertise it and the billboards and putting Tyler Oakley on it and having him put out a video advertising it.. none of which say it isn't open or is coming soon.. No.. that's not the same as saying it's open.

"We're not saying it's not open" means "It's open."

Arguing otherwise is semantics and the backlash from guests is deserved.

Well, arguing semantics is exactly what you are doing. The chances are, Universal when planning those advertisements were in a position where the attraction wasn't ready and did not have a solid open date set... So they went with advertisements that neither said "coming soon" or "open now" as a cost saving measure. They don't have to spend the money to change the advertisements at a later date from "coming soon" to "open", and on the flip side when it does open they simply leave the advertisements as they are without any need to change them. They will make it very well know when the ride opens through tv and radio adds.

Well, arguing semantics is exactly what you are doing. The chances are, Universal when planning those advertisements were in a position where the attraction wasn't ready and did not have a solid open date set... So they went with advertisements that neither said "coming soon" or "open now" as a cost saving measure. They don't have to spend the money to change the advertisements at a later date from "coming soon" to "open", and on the flip side when it does open they simply leave the advertisements as they are without any need to change them. They will make it very well know when the ride opens through tv and radio adds.

They already play both TV and radio ads in the local market that make it sound like it's open.

They already play both TV and radio ads in the local market that make it sound like it's open.

There is a difference between hyping an attraction and outright stating its open. I've heard those ads, and they are ambiguous hype ads, nothing more. Until they end with the words "now open" I see no problem.

There is a difference between hyping an attraction and outright stating its open. I've heard those ads, and they are ambiguous hype ads, nothing more. Until they end with the words "now open" I see no problem.

Exactly, people looking into vague statements like that too much is not worthy of backlash. If Universal flat out states it's open but won't let guests on that is one thing...

You're an idiot.

But i don't mean you, specifically, no - any inference you made is your own fault and even though I am now in fact talking about you and your failures as a human being I wasn't talking about you before, that was another you, because I didn't specifically say it's you, well, i mean, "you" but not "you" or even "you" specifically it's all kosher.

Idiot.

Again.. Just words floating out there. Not meant to be about you dear reader - it's not directed at you.

You're an idiot.

But i don't mean you, specifically, no - any inference you made is your own fault and even though I am now in fact talking about you and your failures as a human being I wasn't talking about you before, that was another you, because I didn't specifically say it's you, well, i mean, "you" but not "you" or even "you" specifically it's all kosher.

Idiot.

Again.. Just words floating out there. Not meant to be about you dear reader - it's not directed at you.

Firstly, for a guy who complains about other posters on the forums you'd think you learn and stop posting things like this. It's not cute or funny and there are far better ways to get you point across.

Secondly, the correlation you are making doesn't fit this situation. At all. Nice try though.

tumblr_inline_mrwhqtavEn1qz4rgp.gif

Honestly, I have to agree with epcyclopedia a little on this one. You can't run ads on TV, Radio, Print, and Billboards about a ride without people thinking it is open. If it said coming in the summer (like their website does) it would be fine. But they don't. Therefore, the GP who does not keep up with theme park boards or anything else think there is a ride at Universal with Kong in it and it is open like all the other rides. When in fact that is not the case. As it is still opening up late afternoon. They have no clue there was no press release saying it was open or that it is still in softs. They see ride advertised, means it is open. So I would be shocked if guests complain and honestly they have every right to based on what Uni is doing. Do I think it is a big deal and will cause any great harm in the long run, no I don't. But it is still going to make some people upset.

Honestly, I have to agree with epcyclopedia a little on this one. You can't run ads on TV, Radio, Print, and Billboards about a ride without people thinking it is open. If it said coming in the summer (like their website does) it would be fine. But they don't. Therefore, the GP who does not keep up with theme park boards or anything else think there is a ride at Universal with Kong in it and it is open like all the other rides. When in fact that is not the case. As it is still opening up late afternoon. They have no clue there was no press release saying it was open or that it is still in softs. They see ride advertised, means it is open. So I would be shocked if guests complain and honestly they have every right to based on what Uni is doing. Do I think it is a big deal and will cause any great harm in the long run, no I don't. But it is still going to make some people upset.

TDO has been doing this for the last year with the "Launch Bay". I saw one tonight in the Tampa demo that had 2 nights SF and $75 dining credit saying "Coming Soon". It looks like they are ramping up big time. I called 7/1 at xxx time and think I have a good bet. Kong is on the rise.

At the end of the day, these ads are local to the Orlando and surrounding areas. The Orlando area, due to its economic reliance on the tourism industry, tends to be very in tune with goings on at all the parks. Universal is not a "locals" heavy park, at least not this time of year. HHN and Marde Gras are the locals events. This idea that the ads are confusing the local population is blowing a trivial matter way out of hand. Out of town guests who are traveling to Orlando this summer (the vast majority of guests right now) are not seeing these ads and only know what's being said on the website and online communities, which all say the ride is not yet open, or they might catch softs.

Is it telling that I always worry that I have said something wrong? My middle name is rude and crude... but not in mixed company. It's all conversation among friends. ;)
You mean like when you threw me off the Game of Thrones thread the other day. :frown:..........Just kidding...I understood. :)

You're an idiot.

Idiot.

C'mon, man.... Let's try to make an effort to be less abrasive.