So when will the Kid Zone closures begin? | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

So when will the Kid Zone closures begin?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Universal also in original plans gave Kirby a larger area than Pokemon yet now it seems Pokenon was going to get a much larger area with kirby cut...I'm basing that argument based on Nintendo execs saying why they partnered with Universal. Looking even at the smartphone game releases it shows they really want even distribution of their in house IPs

A smartphone game and a ride in a world class theme park are not even close to being the same. Just because Nintendo releases games for everything they own does not mean that Universal will give it a ride. It makes no financial sense for Universal to spend millions of dollars on minor IP's that will never make the money back. If you really think that all, or even a majority, of Nintendo's IP's will get rides, I really don't know that theres anything else to discuss.

Reactions: Nick and tankart150
w2UdfOj.jpg

Just look at that map. Universal couldn’t be that stupid. Not only is that a ridiculous amount of room- the layout is garbage. Simpson’s just sitting there like some albatross. If they’re gonna do it- just kill off simpsons already. Put it in toon lagoon.

I’m having an extremely hard time envisioning MiB going the way of the dodo. ET I could see. But MIB simply needs to be something else.

A smartphone game and a ride in a world class theme park are not even close to being the same. Just because Nintendo releases games for everything they own does not mean that Universal will give it a ride. It makes no financial sense for Universal to spend millions of dollars on minor IP's that will never make the money back. If you really think that all, or even a majority, of Nintendo's IP's will get rides, I really don't know that theres anything else to discuss.

You also assuming every attraction would be a big huge e-ticket attraction. whats wrong with some of the smaller IPs getting flat rides which was something that was mentioned that USF actually needs.

It will be the biggest though...

And while a fair point, I just find it fascinating, especially as Hollywood was the last to receive Hogsmeade as an expansion, and that Osaka was the middle man.

Now, it could be Osaka taking the lead with Hollywood in-between Osaka and Orlando.

That said, should we move talks of the SNW date change to it's proper thread?

Reactions: Ashhanbre
It wasn't Nintendo who demanded "more".

Thank D23.
Ahh. If true, it sounds like a similar scenario to how Disney changed plans/upgrade on Star Wars Land after they saw how Diagon/London/Gringotts/HE turned out. Now it's Universal wanting to upstage Disney. This extreme competition is really good for us theme park fans....I'm in no hurry on this anyway. Quality wins out for me.

I feel like Super Nintendo World getting 20 acres right off the bat seems a bit... ridiculous, even for a property like Nintendo. In this theoretical situation where we DO lose MIB, E.T., and KidZone, all around the same time, all for Nintendo, that's a closure of two lands, three rides, and several shows/playgrounds. It'd be an absolute ops nightmare, even if it's after MOM and SLOP are open. Two of those rides are fairly high rated and popular attractions that utilize physical sets, which Uni KNOWS is something the park is still pretty dry on. And then after that, that's the construction of at LEAST five rides, all at once, including Mario Kart, Yoshi, and DK in the original KidZone plot, at least one ride where E.T. is, and at least one where MIB is. And whatever is replacing E.T. and MIB would need to be at LEAST d-tickets, if not much more, to justify replacing these attractions.

So if they were to do this, they'd need to be building a 20-acre multi-level immersive land, five attractions all in the E-D ticket range, all at once, co-currently with other potential major projects that are still in the works such as the LC replacement and the South Property. Honestly? The whole thing just doesn't add up. I think, at most, E.T. will close sooner than we expect for more Mario right off the bat, or MIB will close for Pokemon right off the bat. But it won't be both at the same time. At most, I'd expect one closure to be for "Phase 1.25," and one for an actual "Phase 2" a bit later down the line.
This is why a new theme park would be the best business solution. Rather than closing many attractions at the same time, they can build a brand- new theme park around gaming. Nintendo would be the key to get people over to the Lockheed Martin site that Universal recently purchased.
If they want more, they do more. :)

Reactions: Grits0808
This is why a new theme park would be the best business solution. Rather than closing many attractions at the same time, they can build a brand- new theme park around gaming. Nintendo would be the key to get people over to the Lockheed Martin site that Universal recently purchased.
If they want more, they do more. :)

They're never going to build a whole park around video games. Nintendo is the only viable game property for a theme park, and they're not giving it a whole park

Barney is STRONG like Hulk. Watch Barney flex his muscles. Watch Barney stomp and twist Mario into little spaghetti o's. Barney is Powerful Purple!!! ;):lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: tankart150
They're never going to build a whole park around video games. Nintendo is the only viable game property for a theme park, and they're not giving it a whole park

I'd argue there are a few other franchises that could get the theme park ride/land treatment. SLOP is by no means a pop culture phenomena and we're apparently getting that. There are large fanbases in several video game franchises that span generations and are highly recognizable.

Sonic the Hedgehog, Crash Bandicoot, Mortal Kombat, Ratchet And Clank, Spyro, Uncharted, Halo... A few others.

I'd argue there are a few other franchises that could get the theme park ride/land treatment. SLOP is by no means a pop culture phenomena and we're apparently getting that. There are large fanbases in several video game franchises that span generations and are highly recognizable.

Sonic the Hedgehog, Crash Bandicoot, Mortal Kombat, Ratchet And Clank, Spyro, Uncharted, Halo... A few others.
I'd Much rather have Nut Job than SLOP. But thats me.

SLoP is a single ride, not the aim of an entire park.

Sonic and Crash are basically dead franchises that release a game now and again to get a nostalgia bump in sales. Mortal Kombat and Halo are hilariously violent for a theme park setting. Uncharted MAYBE could work.

But besides all that, none of these are household family names like Nintendo. Halo, Uncharted, and MK all are aimed at an audience that generally isn't going to come to a theme park no matter what. It'd be a colossal blunder to build a park based around a theme whose primary base is not the theme park going type.