So when will the Kid Zone closures begin? | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

So when will the Kid Zone closures begin?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
SLoP is a single ride, not the aim of an entire park.

Sonic and Crash are basically dead franchises that release a game now and again to get a nostalgia bump in sales. Mortal Kombat and Halo are hilariously violent for a theme park setting. Uncharted MAYBE could work.

Mortal Kombat and Halo could easily be toned down for a Theme Park, and really I only bought up MK in terms of how recognizable the characters are. It'd be interesting to see MK in a Halloween event.

I'm purely defending the idea of Video Game IP in parks and disregarding the idea that Nintendo is the *Only* one that makes sense. Nintendo is the safest bet, but it's not the end-all be-all to Video game IP in parks. That's all I'm saying.

Sonic releases new games every now and then. It is a well recognized legacy franchise. More sales then Zelda and certainly a much easier franchise to create a ride for.

Halo, Uncharted, and MK all are aimed at an audience that generally isn't going to come to a theme park no matter what.

Say's who/what? Kids, teens from 2001 Beyond? People who were teens in the 90's? Right. Because we all know they don't go to themeparks with family and friends on the whole. All the games I listed are in the "casual" category. The only one even slightly "Hardcore" is maybe MK. I'm not over here saying we need a Command & Conquer or MechWarrior ride or experience.

Say's who/what? Kids, teens from 2001 Beyond? People who were teens in the 90's? Right. Because we all know they don't go to themeparks with family and friends on the whole. All the games I listed are in the "casual" category. The only one even slightly "Hardcore" is maybe MK. I'm not over here saying we need a Command & Conquer or MechWarrior ride or experience.

I'll just agree to disagree. None of those franchises are theme park material.

Based on content or sales? Cause you keep saying that, and I'm just giving examples of things that could theoretically work based on recognizable the property is.
Content and target audience.

Even sales-wise, video games aren't all that impressive. Halo 5 sold less than 5 million units. If it was a movie it would have made like 60 million dollars worldwide. Uncharted 4 did better at 10 million units.

But these games have a far smaller reach than most movies. Say what you will about SLoP, but more people saw it than will ever play or heard of Nathan Drake or Master Chief

Content and target audience.

Even sales-wise, video games aren't all that impressive. Halo 5 sold less than 5 million units. If it was a movie it would have made like 60 million dollars worldwide. Uncharted 4 did better at 10 million units.

But these games have a far smaller reach than most movies. Say what you will about SLoP, but more people saw it than will ever play or heard of Nathan Drake or Master Chief

Thats what people tend to ignore or forget. Whats more likely, that we get "insert random IP that sold 10 million units" or an expansion of Minions, an IP that does billions in box office and huge merch sales? Theres only so many rides and lands that are going to happen and there are a lot of big IP's that have less presence than people want certain IP's to get. I think the only other Video Game IP that had a legit shot at a presence in the parks was Warcraft, but the movie bombing killed that even.

Thats what people tend to ignore or forget. Whats more likely, that we get "insert random IP that sold 10 million units" or an expansion of Minions, an IP that does billions in box office and huge merch sales? Theres only so many rides and lands that are going to happen and there are a lot of big IP's that have less presence than people want certain IP's to get. I think the only other Video Game IP that had a legit shot at a presence in the parks was Warcraft, but the movie bombing killed that even.

Warcraft in almost all it's iterations is a fairly "Hardcore" game, and has moved less units than anything I mentioned.

Anyways,

The Halo franchise has sold over 65 million copies total. Halo 5 under performed, that's for sure... But in video games, a metric we can't really estimate is how many people have played a game. 1 Unit =/= one player. That single game may be traded in and resold, or borrowed by a friend. Several people in a household may play. The amount of exposures to a single sold game copy is almost immeasurable... How many individuals viewing a movie = one game sold? I mean, Halo is like a 5 Billion dollar franchise... That's LOTR Money.

The "advertised" Target Audience for Halo may be 17+ (starting all the way back in 01) But anyone who has played more than a few hours online could tell you a large majority of people playing are kids. Video Game franchises are generational. They get passed down, they are shared, and people make major time investments into franchise. Your average movie is what, 1.5 hours? Where a video game is at least 8 hours? By picking up and playing through a game you making at least a 4x the time commitment compared to watching a flick, and many (Kids and adults alike spending 50+ hours in a game throughout it's lifecycle) play them for hours upon hours. I'm curious as to what the average amount of hours per player is for such a game. How many people watch a movie 35 times to reach the engagement level of playing a video game?

I'll give you that 75% of just about any game is useless and inappropriate for theme parks. But most of these franchises have many iconic moments and content that can be used for a ride. Riding in a warthog while the world blows up around you while being attacked by aliens sounds like a Universal ride. Doesn't matter if it'll happen or not. I'm not saying it will.

My point again is it doesn't need to be "nintendo" to be considered viable for a theme park especially when you are talking DK and Zelda, DK not having a much relevancy since the early 2000's

Based on content or sales? Cause you keep saying that, and I'm just giving examples of things that could theoretically work based on recognizable the property is.

merch...the only IPs that also sell mad merch are Nintendo based and RPG like WOW, Final Fantasy, etc.

Theme parks require merch more so than anything else.

Reactions: SeventyOne
If Nintendo is looking to up the ante then what about the idea of them taking over Toon Lagoon? They could easily re-theme the two water rides and then add a major E-ticket to where the theater is. This would give them Nintendo in both parks just like Potter and increase the likeliness of families buying the 2 park ticket option.

Call me nostalgic, but I don't want to see them close E.T. or Men in Black just yet. Also, I don't see them taking out the Simpsons after how much money they've put into that area.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
If Nintendo is looking to up the ante then what about the idea of them taking over Toon Lagoon? They could easily re-theme the two water rides and then add a major E-ticket to where the theater is. This would give them Nintendo in both parks just like Potter and increase the likeliness of families buying the 2 park ticket option.

Call me nostalgic, but I don't want to see them close E.T. or Men in Black just yet. Also, I don't see them taking out the Simpsons after how much money they've put into that area.
Agree on the Simpsons part. Personally, I see Simpsons Ride being torn down for a different Simpsons ride in the coming years.

When TL disappears, I have the feeling the entire land is getting bulldozed. IoA has too many water rides at the moment.

Agree on the Simpsons part. Personally, I see Simpsons Ride being torn down for a different Simpsons ride in the coming years.

When TL disappears, I have the feeling the entire land is getting bulldozed. IoA has too many water rides at the moment.

I also feel like Nintendo has no interest in rethemed versions of 20 year old rides.

Final Fantasy or Tomb Raider could work well in a theme park environment, but they haven't made a decent game in several years. Really I'm just looking for a
Pacman fx coaster that puts you in the game and you have to eat or be eaten as you go left or right up or down in the maze. The coaster could choose any number of pathways to reach the finish making every ride a unique experience.

Pac-Man would be pretty neat as a trackless dark ride through a dark, neon labyrinth. Heck, an arcade-themed land that's basically Toon Lagoon but with classic arcade properties would be awesome. I'll also take a Galaga interactive dark ride with kuka ride vehicles.

But I'm positive that that will never happen, LOL.

Pac-Man would be pretty neat as a trackless dark ride through a dark, neon labyrinth. Heck, an arcade-themed land that's basically Toon Lagoon but with classic arcade properties would be awesome. I'll also take a Galaga interactive dark ride with kuka ride vehicles.

But I'm positive that that will never happen, LOL.
Pop culture is obsessed with 80s nostalgia right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Universal decides to take advantage of that at some point

But there's only like...three, in the whole park. JP, Dudley, Popeye. That's not a huge amount.
Maybe it's the fact that they're all in a row? I've always thought that IoA had 1 more water ride than necessary. If you're not a water park fan, two lands (1.5 I guess) really don't interest you.

I'm also bitter that I'm a huge JP fan and not a water ride fan. So, JPRA has always frustrated me.

Reactions: captainmoch
I don't know about you guys but I've been always a bit jealous that MK's Main Street has a place where you can have a hair cut.
What if we would get the Bibbidi bobbidi Bayonetta Boetiek where dudes could get a cool haircut and girls (18+) could get a Bayonetta make over. As a bonus: dad's who don't know crap about gaming will love the place and Disney soccer moms won't set a foot in the park. ;)
Bayonetta2boxart.png

Reactions: anihilnation
There’s only 3 in the whole resort.

I’d like the water rides to be a more spread out evenly but having the water rides in a row makes sense.
We like the way it is. We'll do JPRA by itself on a normal touring day since usually only the top half gets wet. . But if we want a heavy water ride touring day on one of those insufferable hot humid Orlando afternoons, we'll dress appropriately, and do each of the three attractions two or three times. Located in the same vicinity makes it much easier and enjoyable than if they were spread out throughout IOA, or into the Studio's park. And we're not young kids either, but we love all three attractions.