So when will the Kid Zone closures begin? | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

So when will the Kid Zone closures begin?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hogsmede and Diagon combined are only 22 acres.

I just checked, and Diagon and Hogsmeade are actually 23.42 acres combined, excluding the Hogwarts express track itself.

If KidZone goes away completely, including SpongeBob and ET; that in total could be about 11.03 acres. Combine the MIB plot as I did some research a bit more, and SNW for USF at first; could be about 20.84 acres.

Reactions: Andysol
I just checked, and Diagon and Hogsmeade are actually 23.42 acres combined, excluding the Hogwarts express track itself.

If KidZone goes away completely, including SpongeBob and ET; that in total could be about 11.03 acres. Combine the MIB plot as I did some research a bit more, and SNW for USF at first; could be about 20.84 acres.

I don’t think they’d take up all the available land next to MIB. I think they’d keep the back corner for the Sprung tents

Would not surprise me. I’ve never seen anyone get off Kong disappointed, but people here that are reliable have said its response wasn’t great so :shrug:
I mean, I don't come off Kong disappointed per say, I just come off thinking "meh".

It has fun elements and the Kong AA is GREAT, but the 3D scene, while there are good moments, doesn't really deliver due to the viewing experience of the RV. Unless you're around 6th row, middle, it's a mediocre to bad 360 viewing experience.

I feel like Super Nintendo World getting 20 acres right off the bat seems a bit... ridiculous, even for a property like Nintendo. In this theoretical situation where we DO lose MIB, E.T., and KidZone, all around the same time, all for Nintendo, that's a closure of two lands, three rides, and several shows/playgrounds. It'd be an absolute ops nightmare, even if it's after MOM and SLOP are open. Two of those rides are fairly high rated and popular attractions that utilize physical sets, which Uni KNOWS is something the park is still pretty dry on. And then after that, that's the construction of at LEAST five rides, all at once, including Mario Kart, Yoshi, and DK in the original KidZone plot, at least one ride where E.T. is, and at least one where MIB is. And whatever is replacing E.T. and MIB would need to be at LEAST d-tickets, if not much more, to justify replacing these attractions.

So if they were to do this, they'd need to be building a 20-acre multi-level immersive land, five attractions all in the E-D ticket range, all at once, co-currently with other potential major projects that are still in the works such as the LC replacement and the South Property. Honestly? The whole thing just doesn't add up. I think, at most, E.T. will close sooner than we expect for more Mario right off the bat, or MIB will close for Pokemon right off the bat. But it won't be both at the same time. At most, I'd expect one closure to be for "Phase 1.25," and one for an actual "Phase 2" a bit later down the line.

I feel like Super Nintendo World getting 20 acres right off the bat seems a bit... ridiculous, even for a property like Nintendo. In this theoretical situation where we DO lose MIB, E.T., and KidZone, all around the same time, all for Nintendo, that's a closure of two lands, three rides, and several shows/playgrounds. It'd be an absolute ops nightmare, even if it's after MOM and SLOP are open. Two of those rides are fairly high rated and popular attractions that utilize physical sets, which Uni KNOWS is something the park is still pretty dry on. And then after that, that's the construction of at LEAST five rides, all at once, including Mario Kart, Yoshi, and DK in the original KidZone plot, at least one ride where E.T. is, and at least one where MIB is. And whatever is replacing E.T. and MIB would need to be at LEAST d-tickets, if not much more, to justify replacing these attractions.

So if they were to do this, they'd need to be building a 20-acre multi-level immersive land, five attractions all in the E-D ticket range, all at once, co-currently with other potential major projects that are still in the works such as the LC replacement and the South Property. Honestly? The whole thing just doesn't add up. I think, at most, E.T. will close sooner than we expect for more Mario right off the bat, or MIB will close for Pokemon right off the bat. But it won't be both at the same time. At most, I'd expect one closure to be for "Phase 1.25," and one for an actual "Phase 2" a bit later down the line.

That’s my thinking but I know nothing about what’s actually happening. As an outsider it seems like Universal are jumping straight into the deep end.

I don’t doubt for a second that this is going to be a home run and have a massive boost for the park but I figured that they would spread the IP about to the different parks and have several openings to get multiple boosts.

That’s my thinking but I know nothing about what’s actually happening. As an outsider it seems like Universal are jumping straight into the deep end.

I don’t doubt for a second that this is going to be a home run and have a massive boost for the park but I figured that they would spread the IP about to the different parks and have several openings to get multiple boosts.
What I don't get is: if they want Pokemon right off the bat instead of waiting until Park 3, then fine. I get it, it's Nintendo's second biggest IP, better to get it in earlier than wait until whenever Park 3 is ready. But then why not give Toon Lagoon it's long-needed replacement, instead of ditching even more USF capacity by already shuttering MIB/E.T.? It's a fairly large plot of land not amounting too much of anything, so why not retheme Popeye to a water Pokemon themed ride than use the TL Theater and Dudley plots for entirely new Pokemon rides?

To me, it makes much more sense for there to be Mario in USF, Pokemon in IOA, and Zelda in Park 3, than for Mario + Pokemon in USF and just Zelda in Park 3.

If only Mario was saved for the third park....

Let's not do that. Kidzone has to go anyway, MIB and ET need to go at some point...might as well get it out of the way now with Nintendo. I'd also rather not wait any longer than I need to for these attractions.

Let's not do that. Kidzone has to go anyway, MIB and ET need to go at some point...might as well get it out of the way now with Nintendo. I'd also rather not wait any longer than I need to for these attractions.

Thats all fine, but what needs the draw of a major Mario land, USF or a third park that otherwise may not have much of a marquis IP?

Reactions: Ashhanbre
Thats all fine, but what needs the draw of a major Mario land, USF or a third park that otherwise may not have much of a marquis IP?

Nintendo has so many IPs (even variations of Mario alone) they could have something in every park with plenty to spare. Kidzone has been rumored to be on the chopping block for a while now. If you don't do it now, what are you going to replace it with and how long will it take? Get the parks in the best shape possible before going to park 3.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Nintendo has so many IPs (even variations of Mario alone) they could have something in every park with plenty to spare. Kidzone has been rumored to be on the chopping block for a while now. If you don't do it now, what are you going to replace it with and how long will it take? Get the parks in the best shape possible before going to park 3.

Yeah, But Mega Man and Animal Crossing are not going to sell tickets and be top billing for a park. I doubt most of their IP's ever get a presence more than gift shop/costumed character level. Zelda and Donkey Kong are about the bottom rung that you can expect rides or lands out of. "Kidzone has been rumored to be on the chopping block" is not enough of a reason to put all of your best IP's in a single park. Mario should be the flagship IP for the new park. They may not have the patience or desire to wait for that scenario, but it really is how it should be. Kidzone can really be turned into a Dreamworks, Illumination, or Pokemon land. It's really not hard to find a mid level IP that would work there.

Yeah, But Mega Man and Animal Crossing are not going to sell tickets and be top billing for a park. I doubt most of their IP's ever get a presence more than gift shop/costumed character level. Zelda and Donkey Kong are about the bottom rung that you can expect rides or lands out of. "Kidzone has been rumored to be on the chopping block" is not enough of a reason to put all of your best IP's in a single park. Mario should be the flagship IP for the new park. They may not have the patience or desire to wait for that scenario, but it really is how it should be. Kidzone can really be turned into a Dreamworks, Illumination, or Pokemon land. It's really not hard to find a mid level IP that would work there.

The IP holder also gets a say about who Universal gets to use and who they have to show in the park. (also Nintendo doesn't own Megaman so don't know why thats on the list). The point of the park was to increase awareness in the public eye as well as increase sells of some of their smaller IPs which are Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Metroid, etc. With their reasoning to increase sales, I'm more likely would expect those IPs being used by Nintendo demanding a representation than Universal just pushing it.

Reactions: JungleSkip
The IP holder also gets a say about who Universal gets to use and who they have to show in the park. (also Nintendo doesn't own Megaman so don't know why thats on the list). The point of the park was to increase awareness in the public eye as well as increase sells of some of their smaller IPs which are Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Metroid, etc. With their reasoning to increase sales, I'm more likely would expect those IPs being used by Nintendo demanding a representation than Universal just pushing it.

Do you have direct knowledge of the contract? Cause I cannot imagine that there is anything in there specifying that Universal has to push the smaller IP's. I get that theres people on here that are designing their dream Animal Crossing E-ticket dark ride in their head, but that's not something that Universal is going to drop $100+ million on. We saw the plans they pitched to Nintendo. They gave Zelda a corner of Kidzone for a show in their pitch to Nintendo. That should tell you all you need to know about how the IP's were viewed in the agreement. Granted there has been changes, but that does not mean that all of the sudden they are going to be throwing in rides or lands for everything Nintendo makes. Universal has access to too many IP's that are bigger than those smaller Nintendo IP's to be using space up on them.

I think the size of the plot available doesn't say anything.
Looking at the what we have seen from the previeuw is that this has multiple layers. There even is artwork of Mario Kart with a queue close to the track and a flying attraction above it. It could all be multilayered to get the kinetic energy of the area realy going.

Last edited:
Do you have direct knowledge of the contract? Cause I cannot imagine that there is anything in there specifying that Universal has to push the smaller IP's. I get that theres people on here that are designing their dream Animal Crossing E-ticket dark ride in their head, but that's not something that Universal is going to drop $100+ million on. We saw the plans they pitched to Nintendo. They gave Zelda a corner of Kidzone for a show in their pitch to Nintendo. That should tell you all you need to know about how the IP's were viewed in the agreement. Granted there has been changes, but that does not mean that all of the sudden they are going to be throwing in rides or lands for everything Nintendo makes. Universal has access to too many IP's that are bigger than those smaller Nintendo IP's to be using space up on them.

Universal also in original plans gave Kirby a larger area than Pokemon yet now it seems Pokenon was going to get a much larger area with kirby cut...I'm basing that argument based on Nintendo execs saying why they partnered with Universal. Looking even at the smartphone game releases it shows they really want even distribution of their in house IPs