Soarin' Around the World | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Soarin' Around the World

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Disney has MANY screen attractions. But the majority of them are movie theater type shows. Tough to be a bug/Turtle Talk/Soaring/Mission Space/Mexico/France/China/Canada/Living Seas with Nemo/Circle of Life... Some are 80% screen with animatronic segments - Energy, Hall of Presidents. Heck, even Tower of Terror is projections and screens in the ride (but great use of illusions).

Is anyone heading out there today to ride this thing? Did anyone make a FastPass+ reservation to ride this today a month or two ago?

Is anyone heading out there today to ride this thing? Did anyone make a FastPass+ reservation to ride this today a month or two ago?

I am going either the 22nd, 24th, or 2nd. But I got Frozen fast passes. I plan to try and catch this at closing. I am hoping the 3rd theater is now open and that at closing this thing will be a walk on. I mean even with 2 theaters many times it was a walk on late at night.

I just was able to snag FPs for tomorrow by splitting our party 2 + 2. At first I wasn't able to get overlapping times. But I kept trying and finally was able to do so. Looking forward to checking it out and then going back to IOA in the afternoon to ride SI:ROK again.

Reactions: snayberry
I just was able to snag FPs for tomorrow by splitting our party 2 + 2. At first I wasn't able to get overlapping times. But I kept trying and finally was able to do so. Looking forward to checking it out and then going back to IOA in the afternoon to ride SI:ROK again.

Please let us know if it is still that crappy cgi that we saw earlier.

'

ezgifcom-save1-1.gif

Rode it twice tonight. My general impression of it is about what I expected, thoroughly enjoyable but nowhere near as good as Soarin' Over California. Maybe even exceeded my expectations just a little bit.

To start, I actually love the new pre-show more than the old one. Patrick Warburton is back, but beforehand is an Indiana Jones-style map with a red line tracing from destination to destination across the world. It's accompanied by a very newsreel sounding rendition of the Soarin' theme that I freaking love. One small detail I miss is the airline ding when Patrick starts his spiel.

The movie itself is lovely, of course. My favorite scenes are the Matterhorn, Sydney, Neuschwanstein Castle, the Great Wall, Paris, and (of course) EPCOT. None of the CGI was bad as I had feared EXCEPT the entire Taj Mahal scene is so fake it is incredibly distracting. I personally find the transitions completely unnecessary. I also think the pacing isn't anywhere near as good as before, especially towards the end. The California film had a sense of acceleration and crescendo as it reaches the finale, and climaxes perfectly, but this one fell kind of flat. The pacing is especially apparent if you pay attention to the score, whereas the Jerry Goldsmith score flows perfectly, this new Bruce Broughton score kind of emphasizes how disjointed it is. He did a fantastic job adapting the Soarin' theme and doing his own thing with it. Again, not as good as Goldsmith's score, but I can't wait for Disney to release the new track so I can give it a few good in-depth listens. The new smells are completely uninspiring, nothing that really hits you like the pine, orange, and ocean scents did before. I did notice that the smells are MUCH stronger in Concourse C (the new third theater).

One thing that kind of sticks in my craw about the film is the EPCOT finale. It's in the complete opposite direction from what would seem logical. It just seems like it would be perfect to fly right over or around Spaceship Earth revealing the park behind it and ending with the IllumiNations fireworks over World Showcase... an all-too-fitting ending for Soarin' Around the World. But instead, you come flying from the middle of the park towards and over Spaceship Earth, ending over the freaking parking lot, and you never even see World Showcase at all! Just seems like a very strange creative decision to me, made all the more stranger by how incredibly they improved the Disneyland finale by leaps and bounds. Everything is very well lit and vivid and bright in the new Disneyland finale, but EPCOT looks a bit dark, dim, and dull somehow. Also kind of annoyed by Tinker Bell, doesn't really jive with the park, would have been a great opportunity to use Figment, but modern Disney being what it is I'm not at all surprised by it.

Mickey Ears on the balloons? How far is Disney going to ram us with that spit. I am disgusted, really really disgusted. How about the planet earth Disney and not Transformers. FFFrig me... Did I mention I was disgusted?

EPCOT looks a bit dark, dim, and dull somehow

You made that one too easy...I will be nice though

The main issue with this new Soarin is that is seems to be more video driven than musically driven..The video is the star of the show while the soundtrack seems to take a back seat...For me, Soarin is all about that score with the video being chosen around it...I have no idea if this will make any sense haha

Mickey Ears on the balloons? How far is Disney going to ram us with that spit. I am disgusted, really really disgusted. How about the planet earth Disney and not Transformers. FFFrig me... Did I mention I was disgusted?
I take it you didn't care for the show. ;)

I wouldn't quite say there are Mickey ears on the balloons. There are three balloons in the background that subtly form a Mickey shape as your perspective shifts.

Reactions: martymcflyy85