Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading

Something cool I was shown earlier today: Disney reused the 3D model of HD Spidey recently on their "Ultimate Spider-Man" cartoon. They added the circular web between the eyes, updated the costume design, and animated more expression, but otherwise it's the exact same model, rigging, and texturing. Makes me wish the ride used this updated version.

How are you sure that's the same model? And I'll ask again: where did I hear that Disney helped redesign the characters for the HD refurb?

I'm about 2 months late on this, but that's awesome!

Valid points everyone. Also agree with others who've pointed out that the effects possibilities also probably played a large role in which characters made the cut.
I feel like Scream was used due to the bright color scheme...Venom would have been cool

I thought I read a behind the scenes of how they picked the characters back in the day, maybe I imagined it
Similarly, I guess they may have also chosen Scream to get a female villain in the lineup as well. Just a thought. If you ever do come across that behind the scenes video of the character selection process, do post it here :)

Does anyone know the history of why the villains in this ride changed from the concept phase of the ride?
Originally the ride was supposed to the feature Lizard instead of Hydro Man, Green Goblin instead of Hobgoblin, and Vulture. Both Lizard and Green Goblin are far more recognizable Spiderman villains when compared to Hydro Man and Hobby, and I'd argue Vulture is about on the same level as Electro, but definitely more well known than Scream.

Here's some concept art I found online that show sewer scene that originally was to include Lizard:

c9ktr7y.jpg

52s2CXx.jpg
Im not quite 100% on this, but I believe at the time of actually developing the ride, Sony was in the process of making the first Spidey movie and told Universal that some of the villains could not be used because they were bookmarked for the movie, part of the reason why they went with Scream, Hydro Man and Hobgoblin, since it was rumored at the time that Sony intended Venom, Lizard and Green Goblin (who ended up being the actual villain) to be in future movies. Doctor Octupus was selected after the release of the first movie so he was not affected by this restriction. Electro was originally planned to be a villain in James Cameron’s version of the movie but that was discarded as soon as they brought Raimi on board, which is why he shows up in the very last season 90’s cartoon and was able to show up in the ride.

WOW. What an amazingly professional and caring employee, and how fantastic is it that Universal train their employees how to deal with things like Autism?
I was on the HE with an English family with a kid who was autistic and started freaking out once the doors closed. I immediately went into former employee mode and started pointing out all the little things people usually miss (Voldemort, how to see the front of the train in the window, etc). I got him so intrigued he completely forgot about being in the cabin and got excited on each new thing I showed him until we got to Kings Cross. His mom was really grateful, but I hadn't even thought about it - it was actually an instinctive response from having worked the HE and having a few claustrophobic kids. My friend was pretty confused why I suddenly started acting like a conductor... LOL

I hadn’t seen anything about this and wasn’t sure where to put it. Spidey was behind walls today, but it was still open. Entrance was to the right of the walls and they routed Guests through the exterior queue and right into the video room. Any idea what’s going on?

also, I think it was keeping people off the ride. Rode three times in a row. Second pic is the station (wait was posted at 45 minutes).

upload images to internet

I hadn’t seen anything about this and wasn’t sure where to put it. Spidey was behind walls today, but it was still open. Entrance was to the right of the walls and they routed Guests through the exterior queue and right into the video room. Any idea what’s going on?

also, I think it was keeping people off the ride. Rode three times in a row. Second pic is the station (wait was posted at 45 minutes).

upload images to internet
I posted about this earlier in the misc refurb thread, however this may be a smarter place to post this lol.