Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

I think "best land" will be a very subjective thing, even as theme park fans, depending on if someone is more of a SW, Nintendo or Potter fan. Sure, the rides will be cool and some better than others, but I still think that most people are going to be biased to their favorite franchise.

I am probably a bit biased as I think Nintendo is possibly the best entertainment brand on the planet right now, but I also think, from a theme park perspective, SNW is gonna offer better ride experiences than SWL or WWOHP will

Probably a better comment for the SW thread, but they need to be as ambitious as they claim they’ll be on streetmosphete to combat this. The glorified roomba they tested at DL wont cut it
Completely agreed.

I feel like we are going to see something like what we saw on Jakku with Batuu. In the scenes we saw on Jakku in Ep. VII, it showed a lively junking/trading post, which is sort of what the concept of Batuu is.

I think Batuu is going to be the old west of Star Wars. Outlaws looking for a hideout away from the law. There will even be mini stunt shows on a balcony several times a day (reportedly,) that will be like planned bar brawls.

What's funny to me is that at Disneyland they already have Frontierland, and soon next door will be space-frontier-land.

I think the backstory is sort of like the story of ghost towns. Instead of a new highway being built that skips the town though, lightspeed was invented which negated travelers having to stop here for fuel, food, or trading. Now only the bad guys hang out here. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Plus, since the First Order just arrived to this sleepy little outlaw planet, things are getting all sorts of crazy.

I am probably a bit biased as I think Nintendo is possibly the best entertainment brand on the planet right now, but I also think, from a theme park perspective, SNW is gonna offer better ride experiences than SWL or WWOHP will

I think it's hard to say which is better but SNW definitely lends itself to a theme park better than anything else I can think of just now.

I think it's hard to say which is better but SNW definitely lends itself to a theme park better than anything else I can think of just now.

I think all of them are/will probably be great. SNW's rides just seem to go to the next level in ways Gringotts/DC replacement/Falcon/Battle don't. But I'm still hoping the DC replacement and the SW rides surprise me

Speaking just about the lands, and not the actual rides...

People will probably say Star Wars is really big but feels like much of it is soulless -or- considering its size there wasn't much to do.

People will say Nintendo is small and cramped but damn there's a lot going on.

Both lands will offer multiple rides, restaurants, and character interactions but Star Wars has the luxury of size while Nintendo will have more rides (to start.)

One of my fears is, like Pandora, the look and feel of Galaxy's Edge will not resonate with fans as much as being on a planet or location we know from the original trilogy. Even if they feature Batuu in a later film, it's not going to connect the way being on an Star Destroyer for the Battle ride or flying the Falcon will. The rides will be stellar, but the land may as well be Morocco at Epcot, beautiful and immersive, but not nostalgic...

Not nostalgic the way walking through the Mushroom Kingdom will be.

I think SW:GE is going to seem very similar to Pandora in that both rides will be right next to each other with a completely empty side of the land.

While the show buildings are next to each other the entrances will be far apart and in separate area.

I expect this land to beautifly themed with a bunch of painted concrete. Nothing in the land will be recognizable from anything in the movies except for a few random spaceship props. For me, as a bigger SW fan than a Harry Potter fan, this land won't have the same level of specificity but it will have more painted concrete so theme park fans will declare it the best "Themed" land in world. I want to walk into the land of Star Wars that I know and love, not some random "catch all" outpost filled with nostalgic items awkwardly strewn about.

While the show buildings are next to each other the entrances will be far apart and in separate area.
True.

I expect this land to beautifly themed with a bunch of painted concrete. Nothing in the land will be recognizable from anything in the movies except for a few random spaceship props. For me, as a bigger SW fan than a Harry Potter fan, this land won't have the same level of specificity but it will have more painted concrete so theme park fans will declare it the best "Themed" land in world. I want to walk into the land of Star Wars that I know and love, not some random "catch all" outpost filled with nostalgic items awkwardly strewn about.
The Falcon won't be recognizable?

I think all of them are/will probably be great. SNW's rides just seem to go to the next level in ways Gringotts/DC replacement/Falcon/Battle don't. But I'm still hoping the DC replacement and the SW rides surprise me

Part of the charm of each of the lands is that they're offering something that the resorts don't already have. SW is going screen heavy and SNW is going more physical.
Speaking just about the lands, and not the actual rides...

People will probably say Star Wars is really big but feels like much of it is soulless -or- considering its size there wasn't much to do.

People will say Nintendo is small and cramped but damn there's a lot going on.

Both lands will offer multiple rides, restaurants, and character interactions but Star Wars has the luxury of size while Nintendo will have more rides (to start.)

One of my fears is, like Pandora, the look and feel of Galaxy's Edge will not resonate with fans as much as being on a planet or location we know from the original trilogy. Even if they feature Batuu in a later film, it's not going to connect the way being on an Star Destroyer for the Battle ride or flying the Falcon will. The rides will be stellar, but the land may as well be Morocco at Epcot, beautiful and immersive, but not nostalgic...

Not nostalgic the way walking through the Mushroom Kingdom will be.

I think that's SNW's massive ace up it's sleeve. It's nostalgic and completely fresh, it's the first time we're seeing anything from this IP in the parks. SW has already Star Tours to ease us into what's coming.

I've always thought of Universal's merchandise as being severely lacking but HP brought it up a notch and I think Nintendo will bring it up to a whole new level. I can't see SW bringing in anything new merchandise that doesn't already exist beyond just having the new things that tie into the land.

I think both are going to be huge successes and I think picking a favourite will come down to personal preference.

The battle escape ride is supposed to be entirely/primarily physical.

really? Seems to be very similar to Spiderman based on reports, but who knows. I'm pretty sure the AT AT will be the "big" AA on the ride. How do you simulate blasters without screens?

Ha Ha! just a bit... just a bit, but totally agree about the ride experience. Its a matter of Universal being the one most likely to push boundaries. Disney likes to play it overly safe to it's one and only demographic they care about. I wish Walt would still with us :(

giphy.gif

Im a huge Star Wars and Nintendo fan. I think the idea of a Mario Kart ride and a Donkey Kong Mine cart coaster sounds incredible is they can pull it off. I'm worried about the Falcon ride. It's going to be a cool concept, but I can't imagine the ride being THAT incredible. I guess we will see.

really? Seems to be very similar to Spiderman based on reports, but who knows. I'm pretty sure the AT AT will be the "big" AA on the ride. How do you simulate blasters without screens?

Early reports said something like 150 AA's.

As for blasters, basically oversized laser pointers with a little bit of smoke or fog would work fine. Transiberian Orchestra does it in their shows. I don't know the tech, but it would work for blasters.

hqdefault.jpg

I hope they are listening to you lol. Spiderman type would be great, but just worry about the trackless ride system. They don't seem to have major maneuvers. I just can't picture Spiderman on an Antarctica RV. Are we going to do the Waltz to dodge First Order blasters? IDK help?

I hope they are listening to you lol. Spiderman type would be great, but just worry about the trackless ride system. They don't seem to have major maneuvers. I just can't picture Spiderman on an Antarctica RV. Are we going to do the Waltz to dodge First Order blasters? IDK help?

I don’t see reason why it’s not possible. It’s hard to tell if the rides so far have been tame because of the IP or the system is tame and they married it with a tame IP.