Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 81 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Theme Park Designer David C Cobb who works at Thinkwell on whats Disney suggesting.
My hope is that we get to a point where there is room for a lower capacity higher personalization attraction or world. It's easy to say Westworld. It's not that I want to be a cowboy and have sex with robots! But I want something that allows me that level of roleplay.

I want to lean forward a little more and be a character in a story even as I walk around. There have been experiments in that here and there. Knott's Berry Farm did a LARP called Ghosttown Alive. It was essentially living theater that ran for the day and involved the audience as townsfolk. The problem is these experiences are a very high cost with very low through point.

Interviewer: Unless they charge people a million dollars like on Westworld .

Right. But there's going to be a tipping point where technology is cheap enough and the audience is big enough and the location is right where we can foster something that's more Westworldy. I'm not talking robots as much as the quality of the thematic immersion that involves you in the story. There are generations of gamers, LARPers, and cosplayers who don't just like that stuff... They're starting to require it.

Does every child get selected in Olivanders? No, but that doesn't stop hundreds of people a day from still enjoying the experience.

If Disney aims to give every single guest an interactive experience it will fail. It has to be scalable.

You may not be selected but you can still buy a wand and different age groups focus. Star Wars is a bit different with a ~40 year history and a bit hardcore adult role playing fanbase compared to Potter. The wrong dude doesn't get chosen to fight with his lightsaber instead of someone else, its going to be a not so great day.

You may not be selected but you can still buy a wand and different age groups focus. Star Wars is a bit different with a ~40 year history and a bit hardcore adult role playing fanbase compared to Potter. The wrong dude doesn't get chosen to fight with his lightsaber instead of someone else, its going to be a not so great day.
So you're saying adults are more immature than children? I agree.

Reactions: RevFreako
But what about capacity?

An early capacity fix for KP was to have guests locate other agents in the same area and then all push the button to activate an effect together.

Guests flat out refused to seek each other out and do so.

So the park wanted to have guests--presumably some of whom are young teens--randomly seek out other guests--presumably some of who are creepy theme park lifestylers--and make friends. This was the worst idea in the history of theme parks.

That aside, agreed on capacity issues. The percentage of guests who actually do SotMK or KP has to be minuscule. Really, tho, what data suggests an appreciable number of guests would rather LARP than ride an immersive, audio-animatronic packed ride? This just feels like another desperate Hail Mary to avoid the simple truth tourists (not locals) come to WDW to ride the rides with "robots" (and maybe another attempt to ape Potter without truly understanding what makes those lands the success they are).

ETA: this caters to the small (albeit dedicated) clique of CMs/APs who showed up to every Star Wars Weekend in costume but not the many parents with kids on their shoulders trying to see the Hyperspace Hoopla over them.

Really, tho, what data suggests an appreciable number of guests would rather LARP than ride an immersive, audio-animatronic packed ride? This just feels like another desperate Hail Mary to avoid the simple truth tourists (not locals) come to WDW to ride the rides with "robots" (and maybe another attempt to ape Potter without truly understanding what makes those lands the success they are).
Ummm..........this is awkward.

So the park wanted to have guests--presumably some of whom are young teens--randomly seek out other guests--presumably some of who are creepy theme park lifestylers--and make friends. This was the worst idea in the history of theme parks.
No, they don't. This isn't anything similar to what was discussed at the panel.

Side note: I think it'd be wise not to judge the "interactive" aspects of the land quite yet. We hardly know anything about it. Anyone already exclaiming: "It's going to be a failure!" is jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike S

That aside, agreed on capacity issues. The percentage of guests who actually do SotMK or KP has to be minuscule. Really, tho, what data suggests an appreciable number of guests would rather LARP than ride an immersive, audio-animatronic packed ride? This just feels like another desperate Hail Mary to avoid the simple truth tourists (not locals) come to WDW to ride the rides with "robots" (and maybe another attempt to ape Potter without truly understanding what makes those lands the success they are).

ETA: this caters to the small (albeit dedicated) clique of CMs/APs who showed up to every Star Wars Weekend in costume but not the many parents with kids on their shoulders trying to see the Hyperspace Hoopla over them.
Yes. I just can't see the mass of tourists and their children wanting to interact with relative strangers. Kind of like when street shows ask for volunteers. Lucky to get one hand up volunteering out of a couple hundred people in the crowd. Most people are shy about being in the spotlight. The crowd in the Roman Coliseum wanted to watch the show, they didn't want to be in the show.

Yes. I just can't see the mass of tourists and their children wanting to interact with relative strangers. Kind of like when street shows ask for volunteers. Lucky to get one hand up volunteering out of a couple hundred people in the crowd. Most people are shy about being in the spotlight. The crowd in the Roman Coliseum wanted to watch the show, they didn't want to be in the show.
Before this takes off, I wanted to clarify that this was NOT what was discussed at the panel. Random guests will not be trying to locate other guests.

What it is:
Data regarding your performance on the rides will be stored (on a server, and identifiable through your Magic Band, or Disneyland equivalent). Your performance on the rides affects your "reputation". Someone earlier suggested Disney misled us by including a bunch of Star Wars characters in the concept art. That was not misleading. A bunch of droids and other creatures will be roaming the land.

As a for instance (probably not the case, but something along these lines):
You did a terrible job piloting the Millenium Falcon. The ship has returned wrecked. After you leave the ride, you go to the cantina. Sensors that detect Magic Bands are hidden all over the restaurant. Suddenly, an animatronic shouts: "Mark, I saw the junk-mess you brought in. Deal's off. You're not flying my ship!"

Reactions: jtsalien and Mike S
Before this takes off, I wanted to clarify that this was NOT what was discussed at the panel. Random guests will not be trying to locate other guests.

What it is:
Data regarding your performance on the rides will be stored (on a server, and identifiable through your Magic Band, or Disneyland equivalent). Your performance on the rides affects your "reputation". Someone earlier suggested Disney misled us by including a bunch of Star Wars characters in the concept art. That was not misleading. A bunch of droids and other creatures will be roaming the land.

As a for instance (probably not the case, but something along these lines):
You did a terrible job piloting the Millenium Falcon. The ship has returned wrecked. After you leave the ride, you go to the cantina. Sensors that detect Magic Bands are hidden all over the restaurant. Suddenly, an animatronic shouts: "Mark, I saw the junk-mess you brought in. Deal's off. You're not flying my ship!"

I don't see that happening at all. Maybe at one controlled meet n greet with Chewy (probably directly after the ride) that you scan your band beforehand and the attendant "translates" what he's saying. But it's not going to be all around you. You might see one droid rolling out to set. And he stops in a location where there is a Fastpass+ line waiting to meet him. And some fixed location AA droids located throughout the land interacting. But they won't be randomly rolling down the street.

Most of what was said at this panel was marketing. Like Universal saying you're going to have a chance to walk through the wall at platform 9 3/4. The imagination of what that may be like vs. the reality of what it is, is completely different. It's like telling people they're going to experience the bio luminescent forest in Pandora when there are no actual bio luminescent plants in the entire land. What they are talking about is a feeling you will get. Which is PR speak.

Reactions: amityboattours
I think this can be somewhat compared to the spellcasting locations in the WWOHP, because it's based on the same principles of interaction throughout the land. There are often lines for spells, but people still want to do it. With that being said, this introduces a new human element and that creates a whole host of other potential issues. In the end, until more details come out, we cannot be sure exactly what they mean specifically. This was hype talk.
I disagree with getting super negative about it but I also feel like the hype train could go off the rails when and if this thing doesn't deliver the way some people believe it will...

Last edited:
But they won't be randomly rolling down the street.
latest

I think this can be somewhat compared to the spellcasting locations in the WWOHP, because it's based on the same principles of interaction throughout the land. There are often lines for spells, but people still want to do it. With that being said, this introduces a new human element and that creates a whole host of other potential issues. In the end, until more details come out, we cannot be sure exactly what they mean specifically. This was hype talk.
I disagree with getting super negative about it but I also feel like the hype train could go off the rails when and if this thing doesn't deliver the way some people believe it will...

I think you're on point. It sounds like they're trying to find the next step from Diagon. Trying to find more ways to make something a living, breathing land. There's a heck of a lot of negative speculation for something that's 2+ years out. I understand trying to figure out what it might mean, but I don't see the value in trying to describe just what kind of disaster they're getting themselves into.

We've simply provided proof that their past attempts at similar concepts have failed - and failed spectacularly - because they seem to have no concept of what an average park guest wants to do or is willing to do to interact within a theme park.
And the Muppet Mobile Lab proves another failure - costs a small fortune and gets a "meh" reaction from guests.

Live puppet muppets in windows over Liberty Square are much cheaper and generally beloved by guests.

Which is fair. Wasn't calling you out specifically, as you tend to provide more criticism than "PR spin/fluff".

But why can't they learn from such mistakes? Why are they doomed to repeat them? I wasn't even saying something like the Labs would work. But they could certainly try it. Zero reason to flat out deny it as a possibility based on their history.

The Liberty Square show is proof. They finally figured out how to use a tricky, but beloved property. And based on the information we have available right now, no more or less likely than any of these other semi-related projects. You could absolutely have performers interacting along the street from higher vantage points than just the crowded streets.

I just remember the pages, and pages, and pages of discussion about how doomed the Hogwarts Express or Diagon itself was early on. All wasted. We simply don't know enough. Totally fair to throw out potential pros and cons, but some people seem so ready to bury this land already. Plenty of time for that later.

I'm not sure how much I would trust that survey article. There have been surveys for things that don't end up happening, and even then the big question mark to me is the survey being done through SwagBucks (assuming that Sawgbucks is a typo, as sawgbucks.com is an empty landing page). I'm not aware of Disney doing park/resort surveys (especially one like that) through points sites like SwagBucks. What I have seen before are 3rd parties coming up with concepts like these and using sites like SwagBucks for surveys to then go to companies like Disney with a "proven" concept.

Could be legit, but I'm personally taking that with a huge grain of salt for the time being.