Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 83 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Disneyland's 4th hotel is scheduled to open in 2021, 2 years after SWL opened, and it isn't SW themed.

Also, I believe Spirit said that this hotel is also unlikely to open till MK's 50th.

The interactive elements are for all guests. Bet on it.

I bet you a blue milk and dinner at any restaurant on Disney property for you and your family at the parks that on Oct 21, 2021, there will be hierarchy for interactive elements.

Reactions: SeventyOne
The thing is, Disney has been moving towards wealthier crowds for some time now. I'm not entirely sure what direction they are taking with this but somewhere down the line there is a profit incentive. The thing about the Wizarding World is once you buy that wand, you won't have to pay for it again. I believe that is, in part, due to Rowling - rental wands would be awkward in a world where "you shall never get such good results with another wizards wand". I also believe Universal also has a number of other profit incentives throughout the land which keep on giving, the most prominent being butterbeer because everyone buys multiple beverages throughout the lands all day long.
Disney may be looking for a different direction with the interactivity but I believe Universal's model attracts the largest amount of guests - most people can get a wand as well as multiple butterbeers/name any other edible product here. Star Wars will benefit from multiple eatery options and a way for the interactivity to be spread throughout the land and capitalize on those eaterys and merchandise centers. If they go with a pay for play option, it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Reactions: Quint and Coasted
Surveys are apparently out for a new experience..One, that I'm curious.

From WDWNT.

I agree with @maxairmike, surveys don't mean much. WDWNT was irresponsible with the headlines and this reporting.

It's a shame Orlando United Radio's world famous Real or Fake segment has been "retired" cause there's some new pun-tastic candy in Hollywood Studios.

Well I can always invite Andy onto Parkscope sometime...

I'm also curious, because the land itself will be canon with the Universe, when this takes place; and more importantly, how will it connect.

This is a great point, that I hadn't even considered yet. First assumption would be they'd go for Original Trilogy era, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went for the Sequel Trilogy timeline that the newer generation of fans are going to grow up with as 'their star war's'.
The truth will probably be that it's somewhere a bit in-between.

During the panel at Star Wars Orlando convention they said it's canon. Everything Disney does or approves will be canon. It was a kick in the teeth most before Disney is kicked down a notch for the fans.

It would make sense (if there ever would be a Star Wars hotel) that is would be adjacent to the themed land. It would extend the decor of the land and give guests a nice perk beeing close to their most favorite land.

The attractions are set on a yet unspecified planet that flourished in what Trowbridge describes as the “sub-light-speed era,” before the galaxy’s more adventurous residents could, for instance, make the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. “We decided to not build a place that you knew from movies,” he says. “We wanted to create a brand-new planet, a remote frontier outpost somewhere on the edge of wild space that is rife with opportunities for you to discover your Star Wars story. It used to be a trading port. But with the advent of hyperspace, it kind of got left behind, which made it a perfect place for those who didn’t want to be in the mainstream, our rogue’s gallery. All the interesting people? This is where you’re going to find them now.”

Visitors will enter the Star Wars world through a doorway in a surrounding berm, plunging into one of the science fiction saga’s familiar-looking desert outposts, marked by low, circular buildings. “It’s this exotic marketplace,” Trowbridge says. “It’s like a souk street market filled with stalls where you can buy fragrances and spices and clothes and toys and equipment from all across the galaxy, sometimes from the black market, but don’t ask too many questions.”

At a cantina, park guests will be served by some unusual characters. Trowbridge points to two sculptors in the rear of the room who are carving alien prototypes. The artists look up and wave. One is working on a large fish-headed creature. “He’s one of our cooks,” Trowbridge says of the character. “He’s awesome. Just ask for the special. It will be worth it.” The Imagineers will play around with these chiseled figures until they get their look just right. Then they will fashion molds based on the forms to create life-size robotic doppelgängers. “You’re going to see aliens,” Trowbridge promises. “You’re going to see droids. You’re going to see beasts.”

Beyond the bazaar, the attraction will feature a First Order spaceport and an ancient forest compound where members of the Resistance can be found. Trowbridge says visitors will meet some favorite characters (“no names,” he says when asked for specifics), choose between the light or the dark sides, and, unavoidably, wait in line for either of two anchor attractions—one of which is a ride that will involve “a very epic battle, everything that makes Star Wars Star Wars.”

Trowbridge is reluctant to say much more about the ride, in part because it will incorporate aspects of future films, whose secrets are zealously guarded. “We’re looking at this through the lenses of an audience that’s arriving in 2019 and what they know,” he says. He’s more forthcoming about the second ride, which involves the Millennium Falcon. “We’re going to give you an opportunity to not just fly on it but to actually be at the controls,” he says.

Trowbridge leads his guests to an SUV for a short trip to a nondescript warehouse. No signs signify what’s going on in the building; if there were any, fans would no doubt be sifting through the trash bins outside. Trowbridge heads into the main space of the warehouse, where a round, black sphere resembling a small Death Star sits. Inside the malevolent-looking structure, the Imagineers are testing a prototype of the Millennium Falcon ride. A ladder leads up to a crude version of the cockpit, made with plywood, foam, and thumbtacks. It’s surrounded in front by a screen that gives the Falcon’s riders the illusion that they’re in some kind of docking bay, ready for takeoff. From there, they can go for a test run in an Imax-like environment, navigating their way through tunnels and out into space, where they must dodge the Imperial fleet’s TIE fighters.

The real ride will be much more polished and convincing, of course. The mock-up is designed primarily to see how test subjects respond. The Imagineers have put pilots ranging in age from 3 to 79 behind the controls, which tells you something about the franchise’s broad demographic appeal. The cockpit is rigged with cameras that record the grimaces and shouts of a few novices who repeatedly crash the world’s favorite spaceship while attempting to steer it out of a tunnel. We can’t all be Han Solo.

“Ultimately, we’re in the fun business,” Trowbridge says. “People have to laugh and scream. It’s OK to hit things.”

The attractions are set on a yet unspecified planet that flourished in what Trowbridge describes as the “sub-light-speed era,” before the galaxy’s more adventurous residents could, for instance, make the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. “We decided to not build a place that you knew from movies,” he says. “We wanted to create a brand-new planet, a remote frontier outpost somewhere on the edge of wild space that is rife with opportunities for you to discover your Star Wars story. It used to be a trading port. But with the advent of hyperspace, it kind of got left behind, which made it a perfect place for those who didn’t want to be in the mainstream, our rogue’s gallery. All the interesting people? This is where you’re going to find them now.”
It's literally Radiator Springs.

Theme Park Insider started a poll this morning concerning what IP theme park hotel they would want to experience. TPI usually gets a pretty large participation on their surveys. But their readership is generally Disney oriented. As of 9:15 AM, here's the results:
* HP Hogwarts..............47%
* Star Wars....................29%
* Pirates of the Caribbean 9%
* Batcave (DC).................9%
* Marvel, Avengers Tower.6%
.....Good topic for discussion........:)

Theme Park Insider started a poll this morning concerning what IP theme park hotel they would want to experience. TPI usually gets a pretty large participation on their surveys. But their readership is generally Disney oriented. As of 9:15 AM, here's the results:

I'm actually slightly shocked by the results.

It would be interesting to know the average age of their readership.

Under 30s Means it's Potter all the way. Majority of big SW fans are over 30 IMO

It would be interesting to know the average age of their readership.

Under 30s Means it's Potter all the way. Majority of big SW fans are over 30 IMO
TPI has been around for over 15 years, so I would think their demographic may skew a little older than some other theme park sites. Generally the Disney stuff out polls Universal in their surveys. And in their posts on various subjects it's almost all Disney fans with a small smattering of Universal oriented responses. ...With that background, these results surprised me too, at least the early poll results. It also surprised me how poorly the comic book IP's are doing. I didn't think they'd be #1 or #2, but those numbers are pathetic.