Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

I still say that staggered openings represent a huge missed opportunity to do something really special for a unified, bi-coastal Grand Opening event.

But nope! Disneyland's is going to get all the big hype from being first.
Disneyland's SWL almost needs to be first since DHS as a whole has a much smaller capacity.

DHS will be a nightmare once this opens.

Disneyland's SWL almost needs to be first since DHS as a whole has a much smaller capacity.

Hopefully TSL's rides have long lines, to help balance out the crowds... If I were them, I'd open a new Toy Story stage show or something right before SWL, to keep some folks busy some of the time, because I'm not sure a spinner and coaster are going to be enough to get the job done.

Hollywood Studios needs the attendance bump way more than Disneyland does, though. DHS is running on fumes.

And I get, operationally, why Disney is seemingly hellbent on certain things happening in a certain way. I just wish our park was going to get some time in the spotlight for a change, but Star Wars Land is going to be old news to the general public by the time it opens in Orlando (in the sense that all the mystery and buildup about that the land contains will be over).

Hopefully TSL's rides have long lines, to help balance out the crowds... If I were them, I'd open a new Toy Story stage show or something right before SWL, to keep some folks busy some of the time, because I'm not sure a spinner and coaster are going to be enough to get the job done.

The wonders an additional dark ride could have done for TSL and the park as a whole...

I'm always astounded at how behind DHS seems to be from Disneyland with this project. Not going to lie though, I am kind of excited to be getting something first, for a change, over here on the West Coast haha.

The only way I could see these projects opening at the same time is if DL slows down their pace at some point and also DHS would have to put full steam into theirs to catch up.

I'm always astounded at how behind DHS seems to be from Disneyland with this project. Not going to lie though, I am kind of excited to be getting something first, for a change, over here on the West Coast haha.

The only way I could see these projects opening at the same time is if DL slows down their pace at some point and also DHS would have to put full steam into theirs to catch up.

I've heard rumors that this might be exactly the plan; DL's version will deliberately slow down in the home stretch for a very long testing and adjustment period while DHS' catches up. I don't think I really believe that, but I guess we'll see.

And you're excited about getting something first for a change, huh? I always find it funny how the partisans of each resort tend to think they're getting the short end of the stick and the other resort is really the favored one! I know I'm certainly guilty of it! ;)

Hey, you got Star Tours first! :tongue:

This is WAY behind California's construction. Not only are the Imperial Walkers not even up yet, the building they're in isn't even up yet. They have to be 6-9 months behind Disneyland.

And, I would think the DL would be the ones further behind with the earthquake building codes, but here's what Westcoaster show's as of May 2nd:

DLR-17_0502-A-FirstOrder-0005.jpg

2 questions,

1st Q: is that road a service road/staff only road or is that a regular road?
If its regular will people be able to see that much of SWL from the road and will guests inside not hear the cars?

2nd Q: What are DL doing with Star Tours when SWL opens as they are in opposite ends of the park... will it become Stark Tours do we think?

I'd rather Disneyland open first by about 6 months. That way they can get all of the kinks out of the system and we can enjoy a smoother opening at DHS (or whatever it's name will be). You know, DHS is kind of a really small, very disorganized park, but I still love it (except for them replacing most of the Citizens of Hollywood). I thoroughly enjoyed my day there last month, even with walls everywhere. And, as is our tradition, Alene & I danced :dance:to the music on Hollywood Blvd. as we left the park as it emptied out at closing. :thumbsup: :)...But it's going to get so crowded when SWL opens, they need to add a another one or two capacity eating shows at that time. Probably not enough time to build attractions, but shows are something they could add quickly.

I'd rather Disneyland open first by about 6 months. That way they can get all of the kinks out of the system and we can enjoy a smoother opening at DHS (or whatever it's name will be). You know, DHS is kind of a really small, very disorganized park, but I still love it (except for them replacing most of the Citizens of Hollywood). I thoroughly enjoyed my day there last month, even with walls everywhere. And, as is our tradition, Alene & I danced :dance:to the music on Hollywood Blvd. as we left the park as it emptied out at closing. :thumbsup: :)...But it's going to get so crowded when SWL opens, they need to add a another one or two capacity eating shows at that time. Probably not enough time to build attractions, but shows are something they could add quickly.
I can't help but notice that you have mentioned a lot lately about Disney replacing the Citizens of Hollywood... I never knew them well enough to know who had been there a long time, but what I can say for certain, is that the CoH seem to be at the top of their game right now. I don't seek them out on a normal day, but they've really stood out to me in recent visits to the park.

Very true. DHS Needs another expansion after Toy Story and Star Wars IMO. Whatever it may be.
Yup. Personally i'm all for taking the 'dozers over the Animation Courtyard and pretty much tearing that whole area out, as far back as the animation offices. That would open up a solid 12-14 acres I believe.

I can't help but notice that you have mentioned a lot lately about Disney replacing the Citizens of Hollywood... I never knew them well enough to know who had been there a long time, but what I can say for certain, is that the CoH seem to be at the top of their game right now. I don't seek them out on a normal day, but they've really stood out to me in recent visits to the park.

Yup. Personally i'm all for taking the 'dozers over the Animation Courtyard and pretty much tearing that whole area out, as far back as the animation offices. That would open up a solid 12-14 acres I believe.
They had a couple of their smaller classic routines when we were there a couple of weeks ago. But they're not as numerous as they were in the past. I recall reading an article where they cut two thirds of the COH. I've already seen at least two of the former COH at Universal Studios and had nice conversations with them (One of the Directors on the Monroe show, and the Yellow Cab man). There may be more, but I had recognized those two so I stopped and chatted with them last Oct. & this May.

Oh they should connect Sunset Blvd by Rockin Roller Coaster and ToT to that area while they're at it. That park has always had issues with dead ends.

Oh they should connect Sunset Blvd by Rockin Roller Coaster and ToT to that area while they're at it. That park has always had issues with dead ends.

This is by far my biggest issue with the current state of the park, even moreso than the lack of attractions. If I can't easily get around your park, you have a serious problem.

Personally i'm all for taking the 'dozers over the Animation Courtyard and pretty much tearing that whole area out, as far back as the animation offices. That would open up a solid 12-14 acres I believe.

Hopefully this eventually comes to pass. Pack that area with maybe another three dark rides, and the park would be in really good shape.

I have a feeling, though, that Disney's going to be content to coast on Star Wars Land for 10 years before doing anything of substance again in the park.